Tulpehocken Creek a Mud Pit

Many of the Tully old timers I was acquainted with thought it was. I haven't fished there for years. Time to revisit.

It was a white sucker fishery with moderate densities of SMB, RB, and RBSF. The only complaint heard about the stocking of trout from old timers was the loss of the March sucker fishing at the mouth of Cacoosing Ck. I also knew one who lamented the loss of the SMB stream fishery in the segment inundated by the lake. That fishery still exists in the lake, however, and the SMB get a lot larger.

Last edited:
Cacoosing Creek in the area that was formerly impounded by the Papermill Dam continues to look better and better. Riparian areas are now fully covered in some form of vegetation based on what’s visible from public roads.

Tioge-hammond have a cold water release, there's brown trout in the outflow.

I will now reveal that I caught quite a few nice sized trout at the base of Cacoosing Creek dam over the years (now that it's gone of course).

I used to have a family member who owned a large farm where the creek ran thru it. Now some kind of development , but yes the fish have always been there

Cacoosing Creek in the area that was formerly impounded by the Papermill Dam continues to look better and better. Riparian areas are now fully covered in some form of vegetation based on what’s visible from public roads.
Riparian vegetation is a good thing. But is there good trout habitat (pools and cover)?

I still remember an amazing picture of the Tulpehocken in Vince Marinaro's book, "In the Ring of the Rise" and putting the creek on my short list back in the 1980's.

A friend & I drove WAY above the reservoir looking for a spot that resembled the photo, finally settling on something close with access...

The fishing sucked (or we sucked at fishing) and neither of us caught a thing. I've only been back once about 10 years ago for a few hours below the reservoir with a friend...

I sure wish the Tulpehocken fished & looked the way I expected after seeing that picture...

Riparian vegetation is a good thing. But is there good trout habitat (pools and cover)?
Not much cover yet based on observation from public roads. I has only been a year and a few months since the breach. The pool, riffle, run ratio looks good and there are some bedrock veins (probably limestone) crossing part of the area involved. Has more gradient in this specific location than meadow limestoners. Trees have been planted. Wouldn’t surprise me if it is already supporting a low density of trout, but it may take time for the sculpin forage to move in.

Quick occupation by wild brown trout is what happened after only a year when dams were removed from near-by Wyomissing Ck. In fact, the formerly impounded stretch in that case was Class A after a year, but Wyomissing had a much better population immediately upstream to act as a wild trout source for the “new” habitat.

That crick used used to have browns in it from above the S.S. skating rink all the way to the dam. Other half of my family owned the farm where the retirement housing is now sitting

Cacoosing creek had a population of wild brown trout, i'm not sure how many but i have seen pics of wild fish from there either the year before or two years before they got rid of the dam so fairly recently.

I literally learned to fly fish in the Tully in the early to mid 2000s so it holds a special place in my heart for that reason. I have not been there in quite a few years now, i'd say close to 10 and even then i was surprised by the amount of development. I should take a ride out during winter and check out the work at the mouth of cacoosing where they eliminated dam. I fished that spot a lot and agree with whoever said above that trout would ease into the part of the cacoosing they could from the tully until they got to the dam, caught quite a few fish there and my Dad did also when we used to hit that spot

That crick used used to have browns in it from above the S.S. skating rink all the way to the dam.

It still does :)

IMG 2249

IMG 2285

Also, the fish (wild browns) are there in the newly formed area where the dam used to be. Although there isn't much habitat now, there are undercuts which I have seen them slide under.

View attachment 1641233180

View attachment 1641233181

Also, the fish (wild browns) are there in the newly formed area where the dam used to be. Although there isn't much habitat now, there are undercuts which I have seen them slide under.

View attachment 1641233180

View attachment 1641233181

They are up there spawning, maybe you should leave them alone.

Well done and I am happy to know now they are still there. Glad we haven't screwed that one up. My knowledge of that area goes back to the mid 70s so there would have been plenty of time

Last edited:
Well done and I am happy to know now they are still there. Glad we haven't screwed that one up. My knowledge of that area goes back to the mid 70s so there would have been plenty of time
In fact it has improved since then. Based on the cir 2014 survey, it is Class B from the confluence of Ltl Cacoosing upstream to the point where the now Class A population begins and that population continues for a few miles upstream from the B stretch, including a significant stretch where there were no wild trout in the early 1980’s. Now that formerly “troutless stretch” is Class A. There still aren’t wild trout in the very headwaters though, as the stream and its wild trout population have improved from downstream to upstream, which is unusual in Pa.

I live within 5 minutes between both of these mentioned streams. I fish them and I will say that I’m very happy about that. I also live 5 minutes from the keystone select section of Tully and the Skook for SMB. Wyo is an amazing, sleeper urban fishing location….now let’s change the conversation.😄

Back