Tully Treasures

I've never fished the Tully but driven by on a number of occasions. Does the stream hold trout over the summer or are the water temps just too high?

franklin wrote:
I've never fished the Tully but driven by on a number of occasions. Does the stream hold trout over the summer or are the water temps just too high?

Really depends but once the cold water is depleted in Blue Marsh lake the stream regularly warms into the 70s. Plenty of trout seem to make it through. If you searched the site your sure to find plenty of threads about fishing the stream during the trico hatch and debatable water temps.

McSneek:
While I understand the limitation of a small sample size, I nonetheless appreciate the response since a number of small sample sizes can add up. I was not aware that ST had been stocked in the Tully DH, although there was substantial substitution of ST for RT in some streams. It will be interesting to see how long the ST last. Could the more vulnerable and naive ST be a big part of the reason why I am hearing that fishing in the Tully DH has been exceptionally good this year?

Mike,
Maybe I'm using the wrong designation. ST = salmon trutta. I'm thinking now that you use ST for brook trout. I've never seen a stocked brookie in the Tully. Just browns and bows. Hope I didn't mislead you or anyone else.

My theory on why fishing has been good? Abundance of fish, decent water levels and lots of bugs.

Maybe a part in this:

Unlike other years, I haven't seen any "poachers" or evidence of poaching (i.e. bait containers, hooks and lines wrapped in trees).

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the PFBC uses ST for Brook Trout. It goes back to the name Speckled Trout.

A permanent preseason stocking timing change was made to improve the catch. Maybe it worked.

The only "poachers" I've seen are the ever present blue herons. They seem to get to know that the presence of a fisherman might be a easy meal. Last week I saw one grab a 12" brown trout just a few feet from shore.

On another note what kind of shells are all those thousands of shells I see littered all over the stream bottom and shoreline? They are quite small, about the size of a nickel. Any info would be appreciated.

Corbicula sp......Asiatic clams
An invasive that worked their way up the Schuylkill from Phila during the period from 1980 to present. Are now abundant in many, if not most tribs to the Schuylkill from Reading down. They dominate the river substrate so much so in the lower Schuylkill that one could argue that they ARE the substrate in many areas. Much faster moving now are flathead catfish and rusty crayfish. Rustles could very we already be in the Tully, since they are at least up to Monocacy on the Schuylkill

Thanks for the info Mike. Do the clams benefit the ecosystem in any way like filtering, and/or, cleaning the water?

Back