Tuck your jeans into your socks...

JG63

JG63

Before putting your hippers on. When ya take em off pull your jeans out and it will pull your socks up too.

i do this every time before i put on any pair of waders, it took me a while to figure i out, i was tired of my pants riding up when i pulled my waders on.

You wear pants under your waders?

Go commando

Just remember that 15 minutes of making sure your pants are tucked into your socks before you put your waders on, could save you hours of having to put lotion on your rash later.

Who wears jeans under waders? Get some breathable pants.

OP said hippers, so jeans are more than "breatheable" enough provided you don't fall in (which you are less likely to. Do in knee deep water wearing hippers!).. I don't have time to change into/out of assorted tech nothing when I only have an hour or so to fish.

I just put a wrap of masking tape around the bottom of my pant legs to hold em snug.

If your wearing jeans it must not be too since they have are poor insulators.
Don't really see the need for tucking into socks, plus it could restrict circulation which will make your feet cold

I like to tape around the bottom to hold them in place if I'm wearing jeans under waders.

For those who care denim is breathable unless your wearing stretch jeans. A good tip is to leave those skinny jeans at home.

I wear 100% poly or nylon pants under my waist highs and stockingfoot hippers. They are very lightweight, breathable and dry VERY quickly if they get wet. Denim IMO is the worst thing you could wear. Remember, "Cotton is Rotten".

True that denim drys very slowly but that's why I wear waders and never skinny jeans.

When I first started this sport, the fly shops used to sell what were called "stay cuffs" - cloth straps with velcro that you wrapped around the bottom of your pants to keep them from riding up your leg.
I bought a pair, and used them for years - before figuring out this little trick.
I haven't seen them in any shops for a long time now - and wonder if they're still being made.

dryflyguy wrote:
When I first started this sport, the fly shops used to sell what were called "stay cuffs" - cloth straps with velcro that you wrapped around the bottom of your pants to keep them from riding up your leg.
I bought a pair, and used them for years - before figuring out this little trick.
I haven't seen them in any shops for a long time now - and wonder if they're still being made.

I don't know if they are still being made, but I still use the straps. I probably bought them around 10 years ago or so.

I do this while hunting as well, Keeps your pants from rolling up while sitting in a tree stand and exposing skin.

Just remember to untuck them before you walk into sheetz or something. A buddy and I hit up Sheets after fishing spring creek. We were you strapping men, in a college town. I couldn't figure out why the hot college chicks were laughing at me. Oh well you win some you lose some. HA HA

For those that mentioned jeans...I think I saw on Simms site that wearing Jeans under waders does some type of damage to them. I get those light breathable quick dri pants for under waders...not sure how true or what context they said damage was caused, but I know I saw it...

Can't be their 600 dollar waders. Has to be the jeans.

DanL wrote:
For those that mentioned jeans...I think I saw on Simms site that wearing Jeans under waders does some type of damage to them. I get those light breathable quick dri pants for under waders...not sure how true or what context they said damage was caused, but I know I saw it...

I didn't read what Simms said about jeans damaging waders.

But some jeans have metal rivets that stick out pretty far. Those rivets can mess up the finish on furniture pretty bad.

So they could probably do some real damage to the light weight wader material.

^ Yet another reason to buy $40 proline hippers as discussed in the original post. I usually get 2 to 3 seasons out of them

Back