Trying New Things after Age 70

salmo

salmo

I've been fly fishing since the mid 70s. This year I decided to make some changes and tried not to skimp on price. On April 2, I got out for my first outing of the year. Not to spot burn I hit a satanic creek's butt in the Poconos. I wanted to get there before anyone else did. The creeks is pretty narrow and fishing behind someone is not very productive. I arrived at about 7:00 am. The air temperature was 26. The stream temp between 42-44 degrees. It was fairly sunny and surprisingly the water appeared to be low for April. I fished with my Sage 8'6" 4 wt. rod. So far nothing new.
I was wearing my Orvis waders with the newly installed zipper. Wow, what joy to be able to relieve myself without having to get undressed on the side of the creek. If I remembered to close it, the zipper did not leak. Next decided to get a pair or Simms wet wading pants. I have several pairs of zipoff pants some probably 20 years old. The Simms fit perfectly with elastic at the waist. In addition not having the zippers on the thighs for the zipoff's made for comfortable wear. I think that they are called guide pants. Next I used my Orvis Chest Pack. I actually wore my vest and chest pack until I could figure out the chest pack. I really enjoyed it and unless in a drift boat will never use my vest again. https://www.orvis.com/orvis-chest-pack/25FS-Family.html Lastly used an adjustable dry dropper rig. I started with a 71/2 foot 4X leader. Tied on a tippet ring and added 3 ft of 5x with a foam body/wing caddis? size 12. Added another 2 ft of 6X to a nymph. The adjustable worked well for me. I took one on the nymph and two on the dry.

I hope that this helps a few people.

@salmo, what SAGE 4wt 8'6" do you have? Perhaps it will contend with my H3F 4wt 8'6" this year if we get out to fish the Poconos together. I have not even had the chance to get that H3 out this year. Too many rods so little time...

So did you catch browns or brooks in satans glory?

3 browns. I was fishing so slowly that I didn’t make it above the falls 😜

@salmo, what SAGE 4wt 8'6" do you have? Perhaps it will contend with my H3F 4wt 8'6" this year if we get out to fish the Poconos together. I have not even had the chance to get that H3 out this year. Too many rods so little time...
Hey Silent:

My Sage rod is older than the hills. Model GFL 486 LL

Back