Trout Town Triumph! Millheim Selected as the Best Fly Fishing Town in Pennsylvania

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

IMG 9983
PENNSYLVANIA, May 27, 2024 -
The angling aficionados at Paflyfish, an online community of fly fishing anglers, have selected Millheim as the Best Fly Fishing Town in Pennsylvania for 2024. Millheim is a small borough situated in a pleasant rural setting nestled in the Nittany Valley of Centre County. This trout-tastic town is home to some of the premier fly-fishing waters in the region. It is no secret to anglers that it also holds a charm all its own when it comes to fly fishing.

Members of the Pennsylvania fly-fishing community at Paflyfish.com selected Millheim in a recent poll as the Best Fly Fishing Town in Pennsylvania. It was identified for not only its close proximity to the many wonderful streams in the area but also its hospitality, dining, and nearby accommodations. Popular with many anglers are the restaurants including the Elk Creek Cafe, the Millheim Hotel, and Sal's Italian Pizza Shop.
IMG 5464

You know the town is trouty when the Elk Creek Cafe offers craft beers with names like Double Rainbow IPA and Brookie Brown Ale. "Millheim is a gem. The [Millheim] Hotel is my favorite," shared Paflyfish member Jeff Turko. Fellow angler Allan offers, "Nobody gives a second look to anyone walking around in waders!"

Speaking of waders, the waters surrounding Millheim teem with opportunities to test your skills. From the town-bisecting Elk Creek to nearby hotspots like Penns Creek, Fishing Creek, Spring Creek, and a bevy of Class A streams, you'll never lack an exciting challenge. And with those mountain-fed, limestone-enriched flows staying deliciously cool all year round, every cast is a potential prize.

Congratulations to Millheim for the honor of this fun award.

443) 300-6163

Last edited:
N
Elk Creek cafe could be a solid restaurant if they didn’t have a 20$ pp cover seemingly every weekend I’m up that way just to see another lousy local jam band (and be completely “sold out” despite the restaurant looking half empty when we drive by to go somewhere else 30 min away)

Really annoying to anyone who wants to just go grab a casual burger and pint.

M
I'm still bummed that Hinkletown didn't get any love.

M
I'm still bummed that Hinkletown didn't get any love.
That would be a candidate for a small river smallmouth town. It wouldn’t win, but it’s not a bad little smallmouth stretch from Muddy Ck confl down to Cocalico confl.

Kyle
pretty cool. ill have to add it to my list of towns to visit and fish

M
Just to clarify for everyone. That was posted as a joke meant for that guy on youtube who posts as Traveling Trout Company. I believe when he came on here asking for suggestions for new destinations it prompted this whole conversation. Standby, he should be putting a new youtube post up on Hinkletown any day now.

M
That would be a candidate for a small river smallmouth town. It wouldn’t win, but it’s not a bad little smallmouth stretch from Muddy Ck confl down to Cocalico confl.
Thanks Mike, I love catching some smallies. While we are on the subject, I'm open to your top choices for smallies. From one Berks county native to another.

M
Thanks Mike, I love catching some smallies. While we are on the subject, I'm open to your top choices for smallies. From one Berks county native to another.
A top smallmouth town would have to be on or very near to the Susquehanna or its branch, although some people refer to two branches, west and north.. I haven’t seen most of the towns on the “North Branch” for 40 yrs, so I’m not the best to comment. Years ago, however, Towanda seemed ok. The nicest town I think I have seen that’s close to the river is Lewisburg, however.

As for Hinkletown, the bike shop is good.

Nymph-wristed
A top smallmouth town would have to be on or very near to the Susquehanna or its branch, although some people refer to two branches, west and north.. I haven’t seen most of the towns on the “North Branch” for 40 yrs, so I’m not the best to comment. Years ago, however, Towanda seemed ok. The nicest town I think I have seen that’s close to the river is Lewisburg, however.

As for Hinkletown, the bike shop is good.
Yo, Mike, Laceyville on the NB has at least two restaurants. I think they close at 8 PM, however ;)

Back