Delaware Aqueduct Shutdown?

So what does this mean for fly fishing?

I can’t determine if it will happen, where, and it’s impact on flows.

Anyone have a crystal ball??

This work has been discussed for years. Only when it finally starts will we know how it will impact the fishing on the system.

Unless we get a wet July - end of September, plan on another scrapping of plans.

As for the impacts, depends on who you listen to. One person will tell you that WB and EB lakes will be run down to fill reservoirs further down the system.

Other reports state that WB and EB lakes will run at 700-1000 from Oct 1st to May 31. That's a lot more water than normal....a lot more. That's great for boating I suppose but how will releases that high impact the BT spawn? The majority of them spawn in the main river flow, not feeders. Guess nature always finds a way. The normal fall / winter releases on WB is 225-ish and 150-ish on EB.

I remember reading something years ago talking about the leak and the volume of water lost daily. If I recall correctly, they stated that fixing the leaks would allow Cannonsville to release 1000 CFS almost all year and 700+ release from Pepacton would also not be an issue. Hell, just running those types of releases from June 1st to September 15 would be such a positive for the fish, don't think results could even be calculated.

The thing about fixing leaks in water (and sewer) systems is that it is easier said than done.

Many years ago, havre de grace, md, where I was living at the time, was trying to get more efficiency out of its water and sewer systems. The mayor, a medical doctor and very smart man, was irritated that the water plant was treating about 1.2 mgd but only but only billing for 800,000 gallons per day.

They spent a lot of money trying to find that missing 400,000 gallons, figuring it would pay for itself once the problem was solved.

It did not work out that way.

Turns out getting anything more than 75 to 80 percent is like getting rid of friction in an engine.

I’m a little concerned about the water system work, but a friend who lives up there and loves fishing the rivers says he’s been watching the plan unfold for the past decade and he is pretty confident it will not harm the trout populations in the region.

I hope he is right.

Back