Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania

I loved reading all four of the books (Landis, Meck, Wolf and Sajna). I'm from out of state and that was one resource I used to find new and productive streams. I just didn't have the time to fish all the streams that looked fishy. The other, and better, resource I used was the people on this forum. I wouldn't have had nearly the success, or fun, without them. Luckily, it appears a lot of them are still posting!

The Landis book is probably my favorite. I read that thing 100's of times over the years. Mostly about the streams in the area I was fishing, but I even enjoyed reading about streams I would probably never fish.

The Sajna book was a close second. Another book I read many, many times. Both of these books gave good general knowledge of streams, hatches and types of fish you may catch.

The Meck book was entertaining, but seemed very inaccurate to me. My buddies and I had a saying after just about every stream we tried in the book. It was "That Charles Meck is full of **it". But that was just my experience.

The Wolf book wasn't that great in my opinion. I can't remember why exactly, because it's been a while since I read it. But I remember it as not being all that informative. Probably because I read all those other books so much!

Excellent points. I am in the beginning stages of working on a pa fly fishing photography project. I will certainly keep you posted!

On a side note, how do get emails when there is a reply to a post?

shortrod wrote:
mporter,

The real value of the book is simply the hatch listings for each stream. The compiler found someone with enough knowledge of each stream to create a hatch listing. These should be used as a starting point and as rtt mentioned may not be completely accurate.

Too bad most of the hatches he lists fall into the "you might see a few of these bugs" category rather than real fishable hatches. The single generic PA hatch chart provided in the Landis book is more practical if not more useful than the pages of bugs listed in the Meck book.

Kev

Back