Trout Spinning Combo

I have purchased Ugly Stick combos for my kids. They seem to hold up okay. I have had to some minimal maintenance on the reels from time to time like tighten some screws and that kind of stuff, but they seem to work well for kids with 4lb test.

Swattie87 wrote:
FWIW, Shimano seems to be the reel brand of choice for the hard core spin guys. These guys can catch a lot of fish and fish them hard...
I'm not ashamed to say I still spin fish or bait cast almost exclusively for certain species and other than some vintage spinning reels I use on my vintage rods, every modem spinning or baitcasting reel I own is a Shimano and has been a Shimano for a LONG time.

I never felt a need to buy another brand they are that good.

I use an ugly stick ultralight and Shimano sierra 500. I wouldn’t worry to much on the gear for trout you don’t need the sensitivity you would need for bass fishing.

I really like Pflueger's President spinning, too! I have 3 that I've use off and on for well over a decade and they are working very well. They are not as smooth as Shimano, but they are solid and smooth enough for me.

I remember the Mitchell days! Didn't know they still make it. Thanks for all the responses. Will let you know what I decide!

JeffP wrote:
I remember the Mitchell days! Didn't know they still make it. Thanks for all the responses. Will let you know what I decide!

They don't. The old series of Mitchell spinning reels was discontinued several years ago. They've reintroduced reels with similar model names but they are just modern reels.

I have a soft spot for the old Mitchell 300 series of reels. They are in the same category of iconic tackle as Pflueger Medalists. However, having used modern Shimano and Diawa reels, new quality reels blow the old Mitchells out of the water.

Seems like there are more spincasters among us than one might think!

May I suggest we all bring this equipment to the next Jam and donate it to the fire pit? May not need to pay for wood one night!

PennKev wrote:
I have a soft spot for the old Mitchell 300 series of reels. They are in the same category of iconic tackle as Pflueger Medalists. However, having used modern Shimano and Diawa reels, new quality reels blow the old Mitchells out of the water.
Except they don't click when you retrieve...

I still have my original Garcia/Mitchell 408 & 300 purchased when I was kid without an attitude. I sold them later when I became a fly fishing only snob and reacquired them years later when I came to my senses... ;-)

Anyhow, the first time I used them after not even seeing them for a long time, I smiled broadly when I heard that "click" that I forgot all about.

A couple of years back, I went fishing on Opening Day with my nephew and decided to use that 408 and the original Eagle Claw rod I bought to pair it with. For the first time in more than 30 years, I caught trout on that rod and was as excited as I was when I caught my first trout with that same combo eons ago.

I still smile when I think about it!!

I dont spin fish anymore but my one kid does.

Ugly Stick with a Mitchell on it.
My father still has like 7 Mitchell reels we all used as kids. Including some of our Ugly Sticks.

You cant beat them if you take care of them they will last forever

Swattie,

You would get a better bonfire with all the Sage broom sticks on this site. :lol:

My go to spinning rod for trout is a St Croix 5' ultralight. As others have said, you can't go wrong with St. Croix rods. There are many other options in the price range you listed that should get the job done as well.

One more thing.... a lot of these modern reels are all extremely similar reels of Chinese origins, I'm not saying that's bad as there is a huge selection at a variety of price points and qualities, but only that actual brand means very little. Outside of the Shimanos and Diawas, I'm not sure there is any correlation between brand and quality anymore. Even then I'm not sure the it matters, particularly in the lower cost models.

Ugly stick GX2
Pfleuger President
90$

St Croix 5' ul premier rod and shimano tx 500 reel (if either of those are made anymore).

Back