Trout Power

mattwolf

mattwolf

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the great weekend a couple of weeks ago at the Spring Jam. It was my first time at the Jam, and I can't wait to go back again next year. I spoke to some of you about Trout Power. Below is some information about it and why it has been started. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

It would be great it we could get a few guys from PA to come join us and see one of Upstate, NY's great streams.

If Trout live in it, you can probably drink it... That is an old saying, and if you are an advocate for clean cold water like Trout Power is, then you should listen to this... June 7, 8 and 9 up in New York on the West Canada Creek the folks from Trout Power are starting an initiative. Their mission is simple, but pretty powerful. They want to change the world and they way the world looks at clean water... not by its clarity but by the wild trout that live in it. Pretty profound but pretty true. No one has embraced this better than Pennsylvania. And Trout Power needs more advocated from PA to help out with spreading the word and participating in Trout Power. It is a weekend celebration and it is just about as much fun as you can have with your family and incorporate fishing at the same time. Friday is their casual gala and silent auction, and Saturday is their catch and release creel study where you can win $1000 for the longest brown trout in the creek. You see, on the West Canada they have everything going for them except wild brown trout, and they want to find out why, and that is why they need our help.

Also on Saturday is a 28 mile town wide yard sale, and BBQ, an Archery Tournament, a fishing derby for kids in one of the ponds and a concert. On Sunday they have a 5k cross country run, more yard sales, a rubber ducky race down one of the tribs for kids and a hot dog cookout.

Check out more of the events and details at www.troutpower.com. They are starting the process to become a non-profit and it is a good cause.

Hope to see you there.
If Trout live in it, you can probably drink it... That is an old saying, and if you are an advocate for clean cold water like Trout Power is, then you should listen to this... June 7, 8 and 9 up in New York on the West Canada Creek the folks from Trout Power are starting an initiative. Their mission is simple, but pretty powerful. They want to change the world and they way the world looks at clean water... not by its clarity but by the wild trout that live in it. Pretty profound but pretty true. No one has embraced this better than Pennsylvania. And Trout Power needs more advocated from PA to help out with spreading the word and participating in Trout Power. It is a weekend celebration and it is just about as much fun as you can have with your family and incorporate fishing at the same time. Friday is their casual gala and silent auction, and Saturday is their catch and release creel study where you can win $1000 for the longest brown trout in the creek. You see, on the West Canada they have everything going for them except wild brown trout, and they want to find out why, and that is why they need our help.

Also on Saturday is a 28 mile town wide yard sale, and BBQ, an Archery Tournament, a fishing derby for kids in one of the ponds and a concert. On Sunday they have a 5k cross country run, more yard sales, a rubber ducky race down one of the tribs for kids and a hot dog cookout.

Check out more of the events and details at www.troutpower.com. They are starting the process to become a non-profit and it is a good cause.

Hope to see you there.

Unfortunately, not able to make it but hope the event is a success. West Canada Creek has been on my radar for a while and hope to get there in the next year or two. I know the river holds monsters. Have the fish been able to spawn at all or is it still mainly a put and take fishery?

Wish I could make it but can't that weekend. It was fun talking some golf with you at the jam. I will have to make a trip up there at some point to check out that creek.

Krayfish,

There is no data showing natural reproduction in the main stream itself. We are currently trying to find out why that is. We think it may have to do with the release flows. This is the main reason Trout Power was founded. There is information that states natural reproduction is happening in some of the tribs to the creek. It is still mainly a put and take fishery. Some of the fish that reproduce in the tribs find their way to the West Canada.

martin,

It was also nice talking with you about golf. Good luck with the new job and if you ever get up to Up-State, NY look me up and we can either fish or play golf.

Thanks,

I am camping on the West Canada Creek Campsite in Poland Ny this weekend. unfortunately, since I am hosting a group camping outing I won't be able to participate in the tourney but I will be flyfishing you can count on that. West Canada is a great river I just wish the flows would be a little more consistent.

You just need a boat, kayak, pontoon. Then the flows are a buzz kill

We are canoeing the river.

mc,

Where are you staying. Not sure what your schedule is, but if you want to find out some more information we will be having a small gala Friday evening at the Crystal Chandalier. You are more than welcome to stop in. The restaurant is located just outside the town of Middleville. There is a KOA campground right across the street. We will also be having our closing meeting on Sunday if you want to stop by. Check out troutpower.com for other events taking place in the area and times over the weekend.

Thanks and hopefully I run into you.

Matt,

thanks for the heads up. We are staying at west canada creek campsites in Poland. It's going to be tough for me to get away since I'm hosting a group camping outing with about 20 people so it may be hard for me to get away. I am going to fish friday morning/afternoon with my wife and maybe saturday morning before everyone gets up, but we have to check out by 11 on sunday and be back home early sunday. next year i want to do the tourney if my schedule allows, sounds like a great program and good luck this weekend. The weather looks spotty at best.

Hello Everyone,

We had a great Trout Power Weekend. We had 30 teams of 2 and I think everyone caught fish. My partner and I caught 10 in total and my biggest was a 13.5 brown. His was a 9.0 brown. We didn't place, but had a great time and collected some awesome information. One team caught the same 20.5" fish twice. One guy caught it on an elk hair caddis and an hour later his partner caught it on a nymph. Just goes to show you that if you miss a big pig or it falls off they can still be caught. Check out the website at www.troutpower.com or the trout power face book page for some photos of some nice big fish. I hope we can get a couple teams from PA Fly Fish next year up here for the event.

Thanks,

who won the tournament? I met the guys that caught that pig in the no kill on the troutpower facebook cover. That fish was impressive.

I am not sure which guys you are refering to. The anglers who caught the biggest fish were not present at the end banquet. I think they were from Virgina Beach. There were also two guys from the USA Fly Fishing Team. Ken Krane and Loren Williams. I know Ken and Loren caught one that was around 20.5" I think the winning team was right around 21" or 22".

Were you able to make it out fishing?

The guys that won were brothers that lived about an an hour away. Their fish was 21.5''. It was on troutpowers facebook cover on monday. It still might be up.

I fished the no-kill friday and saturday morning. I saw a nice hatch of march browns and caddis on friday but for the most part the fish didn't work them. I did manage to hook a very nice fish friday but it broke my leader. Saturday I caught the only trout I saw rise on a march brown. I could only fish saturday really early in the morning.

Back