Trout Fishing Near Rome/Canasota, New York

K

KELORGO

My son has recently transferred to the Rome / Canasota, New York area (east of Syracuse). He lives pretty much on Oneida Lake, and he's received pretty good local information on fishing the lake. Can anybody steer us toward good trout fishing streams in the area? He's pretty much a spinner and Rapala fisherman, but has started to learn fly fishing. I prefer fly fishing and am looking for something that resembles our PA streams. Any help or local knowledge would be appreciated. Feel free to direct message me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Dear KELORGO,

Try this link, https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/...YB*MTcxMzk5MDk0Ni4yLjEuMTcxMzk5MTY5Mi4wLjAuMA...

That is like the PA Fish Commission county maps. Rome is not far from a lot of Adirondack ponds and streams. Just about every stream on the Tug Hill plateau has brook trout but many are marshy and boggy. There are several special regulation areas near Rome. You can find out more with the interactive map link.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks, Tim. I will definitely explore that site. Forgot to mention, I prefer rivers and and streams with moving water, riffles and the like. Thanks again!

I got to take a look at the Chittenango, Limestone and Butternut Creeks while up in NY, and even got a chance to watch my younger son catch some trout. I’d rank them in the above order as to which I’d like to fish. I sure wish that I had my nipping outfit with me when my son was spin fishing. I know I could’ve picked up quite a few fish.

We are going back up to NY soon to see our grand daughter. We only explored below the falls on the Chittenango. I’ll definitely check out the fly fishing only section above the falls this time (and take my rod). Locals in a fishing shop (mostly bass and walleye store) said that Fish Creek north of Oneida Lake is also worth exploring. As an aside, they were catching 5’ sturgeons in a creek entering Oneida Lake. Apparently, they enter the creek to spawn a for a few weeks this time of year.

Back