Trout Fishing in August?

No responding only to Bamboozle, but I want to thank all of you again. You have offered a wealth of information, and I appreciate the friendly sharing of different opinions and perspectives. I will give a special thanks to Bamboozle for going above and beyond by offering not only fishing opinions but also suggestions for restaurants, fly shops and other amenities -- all very helpful to someone who is not familiar with the area but who is interested in more than just the fishing.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Donegal Creek. That's close to E-town.

No responding only to Bamboozle, but I want to thank all of you again. You have offered a wealth of information, and I appreciate the friendly sharing of different opinions and perspectives. I will give a special thanks to Bamboozle for going above and beyond by offering not only fishing opinions but also suggestions for restaurants, fly shops and other amenities -- all very helpful to someone who is not familiar with the area but who is interested in more than just the fishing.
Also mountain creek in my holly springs may be cold enough too. Precision fly is right there in mount holly springs and I like that shop personally because they always have AMAZING clearance deals on hooks for tying. But mountain creek BELOW the lakes has springs and would be cold enough for a lot of summer in some cases. Probably a good place to go prospecting with Ant’s and beetles turks tarantuala/Amys ant with a tiny bead head caddis emerger dropper.

I was thinking of that creek too, but I have no idea how it fishes in late July/August...

I was thinking of that creek too, but I have no idea how it fishes in late July/August...
Probably dependent on 7 day high averages and rainfall. I know it can get to warm at times.

I used to fish Donegal a lot in high school. I've only been there a couple times in the last 20 years, though. I only live a few minutes farther away now than I did then but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me that it once did.

I'm not sure that the temps hold out all that well into August in at least some sections of the stream.

Creeks in my area are low but still cold. Some are still in the upper 50's in the mornings. I just fished the Big Bushkill Thursday morning. I did pretty well nymphing. Riffles and deep holes with moving water produced the best. I only seen a few fish rising. Biggest of the day was a 16 in brown. I've done well on the Brodhead and the Lackawaxen recently too. Probably won't last much longer if we don't get some rain. I think it's supposed to get hot next week which will be a problem.

Many suggestions for August trout fishing above. I suggested Big Spring because cool water, fishable flow and is loaded with trout is pretty much a lock there, while most other streams are questionable. As a matter of course, one should always check with local shops (Precision and/or TCO in this case) for up-to-date info on fishing in the area. Have a great time fishing where ever you end up.

August is a great time to fish the limestoners for trout. Actually one of the best chances to catch fish on dries (terrestrials!). Beetles, crickets, parachute ants. The Letort, Big Spring, and Falling Spring would be fun options. Totally different style of fishing than freestoners and a fun challenge.

August is a great time to fish the limestoners for trout. Actually one of the best chances to catch fish on dries (terrestrials!). Beetles, crickets, parachute ants. The Letort, Big Spring, and Falling Spring would be fun options. Totally different style of fishing than freestoners and a fun challenge.
The parachute ant takes the cake as my favorite dry fly.....

Hunkerdown:

If you decide to check out the Yellow Breeches in August and you or your wife are interested in fine arts & crafts, I forgot to mention the Village Artisan's Gallery hidden away on Walnut Street in Boiling Springs.

It is WELL worth a visit if you are in the area and like that kind of stuff.

Anytime I’m in a new area I stop into the closest fly shops and chat. Buy a few flies and get some advice on what’s biting where

So fishing in the summer can be tough...but not impossible...trouts metabolisms tend to slow down in 70 degree water or warmer...the freestone streams will warm in the summer months whereas the limestone streams and creeks that are fed by natural springs keeping the water cooler during the summer months tend to be more fishable...Theres a PA Flyfishing guide to PA streams and creeks by region....its a fantastic book and guide.

Here is a quick after action report. Thanks again for all of the great input. My wife and I fished Big Spring Creek yesterday morning, July 31. First, it is beautiful as all of you likely know. It was certainly challenging. We enjoyed ourselves, and I managed to land two beautiful brookies, both in the 6-7 inch range on a size 18 red zebra midge. I think that I failed to recognize the light strikes until I finally recognized one, so it is hard to know how many strikes we had. Water temp was roughly 58. We will return someday (perhaps with a guide!). Then we decided to drive over to Boiling Springs and look at Yellow Breeches in the early afternoon. We parked at the lot at the Run and decided to take our gear and give things a try. We started out in the main stem of the stream. The water level is low and very clear. Temp was mid/upper 60s in the shallows. We were pretty tired and maybe a little cranky when a couple of guys decided to climb out on log crossing the stream, smoke pot and make a lot of noise so we decided to fish our way back to the parking lot. Just below the confluence with the Run I landed one rather nice rainbow on a green grub. Water temp there was right around 60 and a little distance up in the Run it was roughly 58. Perhaps the highlight of the entire day was watching what we think was an adult female osprey with two immature birds calling one another, etc. The adult had a large fish in its talons, so I think they enjoyed a nice late day meal. All of this took place directly above us a the confluence with the Run!

At the risk of going on too long, my wife asked me to add these additional comments from her point of view. First, fishing from the stream bank close in with trees, weeds, etc. on Big Spring was something new and especially difficult for her while trying to be mindful of her rod, her line, her cast, etc. Also, the precise casting required on Big Spring was tough. Yellow Breeches was more open and easier for her. Access at both locations was excellent. The port-a-potty at the Run was a big plus. We were reminded that even in places where most visitors are good stewards and appreciate the stream, etc. we need to take along a small trash bag to pick up trash left by others. We look forward to returning to Boiling Springs and checking out some of the shops in the area (some of which appeared to be closed on a Monday).

Bottom line is that we had a great day and we look forward to returning to both streams and perhaps exploring others in the area, too, based on your suggestions.

Yes, fishing below the run always has decent water tempetures. Also people refering that the Breeches is too warm in the summer must not fish the entire stream. Upstream from Mountain creek summer water tempetures are always fishable. Just get on the Pine road ( Mt Hollysprings) and go upstream. You can fish as far up as the hatchery in Hunsdale. The very upper end of Mountain creek can be fishable in summer. However from Laurel Lake up stream a few miles past the part is only stocked once a year. There are wild brookies in the very upper stretches but very little water even in the spring and has tight bank cover. Most flyfishermen do not consider this a good area especialy for beginners. I live in Boilingsprings and guide so I spend a lot of time over 40 plus years on the water.
I relize my post is late but this may be of assitance on your next trip.

August just might be my favorite month to fish wild mountain freestoners. One of my favorite streams has only hit 60F, or a bit above, a small number of times since I started fishing it 20+ years ago. My very best days have come when it was between 59F and 62F. And 62F is the warmest I've seen it.

Last edited:
Back