Trout Fishing in August?

H

hunkerdown

My wife and I are both beginners, and we are trying to avoid too much time between trips so that we can continue reinforcing what we have learned so far. We will be near Elizabethtown and so within a reasonable drive of Yellow Breeches and Letort Spring Run the last week of July/first week of August. Generic descriptions of those streams often refer to constant water temperature, consistent flows and year-around trout fishing opportunities. Considering the ethical questions, etiquette and the likelihood of having an enjoyable experience, should we plan to fish one or both of those streams? If no, are there any other good alternatives in the area? We have not fished for bass and we have never fished a river, but we would consider those as alternatives if trout are a no-go.

Letort is extremely challenging for beginners and YB will almost certainly be too warm in August. Sorry to be a killjoy.

Generally some of the limestoners keep cool water temps into late summer. Things are still tough from a fishing standpoint when the sun is on the water at midday, but mornings can be good.

The mountain brookie streams are often at their best in the summer, though it helps if you hit them after a good rain. Really any stream with sizable wild trout populations can be real good in summer if you get good water conditions. My best month of the year in terms of number of wild trout caught is usually August. But yeah, its very much a watch the weather and follow the rain thing Its common that one area gets hit and another doesn't, that tells you where to go. But brookies, browns, big or small stream. The day after an inch or so of rain in August on a freestoner with wild trout, that gets you excited!

My wife and I are both beginners, and we are trying to avoid too much time between trips so that we can continue reinforcing what we have learned so far. We will be near Elizabethtown and so within a reasonable drive of Yellow Breeches and Letort Spring Run the last week of July/first week of August. Generic descriptions of those streams often refer to constant water temperature, consistent flows and year-around trout fishing opportunities. Considering the ethical questions, etiquette and the likelihood of having an enjoyable experience, should we plan to fish one or both of those streams? If no, are there any other good alternatives in the area? We have not fished for bass and we have never fished a river, but we would consider those as alternatives if trout are a no-go.
I wouldn't worry about the Letort being challenging.

It is true, you will be hard pressed to catch anything but it is an experience unto itself.

Personally, I would fish Big Spring, Letort and Falling Spring. You will likely see fish, it will be challenging fishing but you can fish them ethically for sure.

Just temper your expectations and enjoy the humbling experience. Every fly fisherman should fish these waters once.

Another thing you can always do also, is split your trips. Fish the limestoners for trout in the early AM and fish the Conodoguinet for bass in the late afternoon or PM or vice versa.

All are in the same area and all are excellent streams.

Another thing you can always do also, is split your trips. Fish the limestoners for trout in the early AM and fish the Conodoguinet for bass in the late afternoon or PM or vice versa.

All are in the same area and all are excellent streams.
^This

I wouldn't fish the YB if it was the last creek on earth, might as well fish a pond. I'd pick up a different hobby if that were the only fishable body of water. Yuck!

Last edited:
Smallmouth bass fishing would be great in August, but if you have your heart set on fishing for trout, I agree Big Spring in that same area would be a good choice. Plenty of trout, plenty of cool water and plenty of challenge to catch a few brookies and/or bows. Good luck.

Last edited:
Although I have been reading this forum for a while, this was my first post and I must compliment all of you for taking the time to share such insightful and thoughtful responses! Honestly, I hope that someday I will have enough knowledge, experience and wisdom to make a contribution here. Thank you.

July and August have traditionally been my best, most productive months to fish my freestones. Haven't even fished yet, due to very low stream levels. Hoping things get better for those two months.

This rain we're getting is a start, but it won't put a significant dent in our deficit. We need numerous day long soaking rains to achieve that. Some areas might see an inch+ or more though.

Last edited:
What weight fly rods do you have? If you have a 5 weight (although a 6-8 is more preferable) I double Afishinado's advice about chasing bass or sunfish or something. There is plenty of cold trout water, too, but given low and clear conditions like often happen in late Summer you better be on your A-Game not to spook the trout.

I am not overly familiar with the Breeches, but I can recommend Big Spring. It is a stream I enjoy fishing, it will be cold, and there will be trout. Once again, though, temper your expectations and bring your A-Game.

We have 5 weight rods, and this discussion has sparked my interest in pursuing species other than trout. Thanks. At the same time, because we are not frequently in the area, the temptation to give Big Spring a try while we are there is great! Both my wife and I are content to enjoy the opportunity and many aspects of the experience and to improve and test our skills without a focus on the number of fish landed.

We have 5 weight rods, and this discussion has sparked my interest in pursuing species other than trout. Thanks. At the same time, because we are not frequently in the area, the temptation to give Big Spring a try while we are there is great! Both my wife and I are content to enjoy the opportunity and many aspects of the experience and to improve and test our skills without a focus on the number of fish landed.
I am no Big Spring "pro" or regular, but I would take terrestrial dry flies and try to approach the flat water from quite a distance away - long, accurate casts......this is not ideal for a beginner, however, as poor casting will spook fish. That will present a particular challenge.

Your best chances of actually catching fish at Big Spring is targeting the rainbows with nymphs in the riffles. I should make a pilgrimage to Big Spring this summer. I haven't been there in 4 years or so.

A beginner can find lots of learning opportunities and enjoyable fishing in August by fishing a farm pond or golf course water hazard (with permission) for bluegills. Dry, wet, dry-dropper will catch them. You may even bend a rod on a big bass. YB in mid-summer will get bluegills and rock bass if you want to practice on (slowly) moving water. I second Afishanado that one doesn't have to limit fishing to trout.

My best advice would be for the two of you to go to Falling Springs in Chambersburg and fish the DHALO area. The water will be plenty cold given its numerous springs, and it's loaded with trout- both stocked and wild. Bring terrestrials and have at it. Foam Beetles are deadly and for the pickier risers, roll with a flying ant. With the meadow stretches that have high grass, don't be afraid to put on a cricket or grasshopper and fish real tight to the bank. There are two special regulation areas on Falling Springs, but the one I speak of here would be the easiest of the two to catch fish.

A beginner can find lots of learning opportunities and enjoyable fishing in August by fishing a farm pond or golf course water hazard (with permission) for bluegills. Dry, wet, dry-dropper will catch them. You may even bend a rod on a big bass.
Ponds are quite enjoyable right now. Tie on a dry or dry/dropper (I usually go chubby Chernobyl trailed by a hard body ant) and you will have quite a bit of fun! Ponds produce by far the best catch rates and if you have room to cast it's even better. Good, easy fun.

I was on Falling Spring for a couple hours yesterday in the meadow section. That water is going to be difficult for beginners. I caught one and missed a couple. That was my first time there and I've never fished the DHALO but I suspect the DHALO is easier water. I live in Elizabethtown and Chambersburg is about an hour and a quarter away. You can be in Perry/Juniata brookie waters in the same amount of time, FWIW.

I wouldn't fish the YB if it was the last creek on earth, might as well fish a pond. I'd pick up a different hobby if that were the only fishable body of water. Yuck!

You ain’t fishin in the right spots.

I'd visit the Letort & maybe Big Springs or Falling Springs (if you want to drive even further to get frustrated) but I'd fish the Yellow Breeches for a lot of reasons...

First you will probably catch something and it is a WHOLE LOT easier to fish and navigate than the other three.​
Second, even though I've heard negative reports about the fishing lately, there is also the "Run" that dumps into the Yellow Breeches that is ideal for beginners.​
Third, even though I'm not fan of the outfit, there is a fly shop right in Boiling Springs where you can ask questions, buy some flies or get a tip or two.​
Fourth, if you stay late and fish later in the week during your stay you MIGHT get lucky and see a few White Flies coming off at dusk/dark.​
Fifth, if you go early in the day and want breakfast, lunch or just coffee & a snack you can stop at Caffe 101 on the corner of Front & 1st Street in Boiling Springs. It's a nice place to take a break or have lunch.​
Sixth, if you can stay for dinner there are quite a few nice restaurants in Carlisle to choose from, not to mention a couple of breweries, a distillery and nice shops if the fishing totally sucks or it starts to rain.​
While the Letort is close enough to allow you to also enjoy the local amenities, it's especially tough on folks that don't fish it regularly or without a ton of patience.

As far as Big Springs & Falling Springs go, great streams but almost as unforgiving as the Letort and there are no real amenities in the closest towns when you get tired of pulling out your hair.

If you want some restaurant or other Carlisle recommendations shoot me a PM.

Regardless, have fun wherever you go and bring a thermometer!!

Last edited:
Back