Tropical Storm Ida

Here is a map the rainfall total in PA. The reporting station closest to my home in Downingtown reported 10.1".

https://water.weather.gov/precip/index.php?analysis_date=1507939200&lat=39.6409751530&location_name=CONUS_%20_Puerto_Rico&location_type=us&lon=-78.3922070313&precip_layer=0.75&product=observed&recent_type=today&rfc_layer=-1&state_layer=0.75&hsa_layer=-1&county_layer=-1&time_frame=1day&time_type=recent&units=eng&zoom=6&domain=current

troutbert wrote:
What you said is probably correct.

Flood control dams typically spill a lot of water as the storm approaches, to increase storage capacity.

Then when the deluge arrives, they reduce outflow, storing water to reduce flooding downstream.

Spot-on. If you follow the Tully gauge, you'd have seen that it went up to 2,000 CFS (ish) prior to the storm's arrival, then after the rain, dropped back down to "normal" flows. I see it's back up again, but that must be to alleviate perhaps higher-than-expected levels above the dam.

Screenshot-2021-09-03-at-09-52-30-USGS-Current-Conditions-for-USGS-01470960-Tulpehocken-Cr-at-Blue-M.png

Lehighton hit almost 30k with them releasing like no water from the reservoir, thats insane. Its like 10k in that area right now, i might drive up just to see

We got outflow rain here in Florida. Three to four inches on Wednesday in an all day series of storms. Right now we have exceeded our total rain
fall for September. I saw pictures of the mess in the North East and hope that this is the last you will see. Just stay safe. GG

Mirroring the other sentiments mentioned of SEPA, we got crushed in Phoenixville. I checked the Schuylkill out post-crest, and attached pic shows the water was above at least some of the power lines. French Creek was up to nearly 8000 ft3/s when it was down to about 30 prior to the storm. Pickering Creek crested well over its dam, road running past the dam is closed still. Had some friends who live along Valley Creek that were rescued by boat Wednesday night. Truly something I have never experienced, very grateful to have made it through largely unscathed.

Attachments

• phxvilleschuylkill.jpg
    phxvilleschuylkill.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm in valley forge right now, 252 is closed but it looks like the water was well over the road at the bridge at 252 and 23 and the quick glance i got as i drove over it looked like the creek bed was destroyed below

I've been laid up due to emergency surgery so I've been watching some TV. I expected things to be a lot worse around here and they weren't. I was very shocked when I saw the footage of Philadelphia and Jersey. We had over 7" but only minor flooding.

Hope all is ok kray, and you’re on the mend.

TandemRig wrote:
Mirroring the other sentiments mentioned of SEPA, we got crushed in Phoenixville. I checked the Schuylkill out post-crest, and attached pic shows the water was above at least some of the power lines. French Creek was up to nearly 8000 ft3/s when it was down to about 30 prior to the storm. Pickering Creek crested well over its dam, road running past the dam is closed still. Had some friends who live along Valley Creek that were rescued by boat Wednesday night. Truly something I have never experienced, very grateful to have made it through largely unscathed.

My kid lives uphill on Franklin. Sent me a pic from the bridge. Kinda figured he was downplaying it. But didn't look like that. Yikes.

Attachments

• Resized_20210902_193128.jpeg
    Resized_20210902_193128.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 5
Valley Creek at VF National Park >

https://www.nps.gov/vafo/learn/news/ida.htm?fbclid=IwAR1zYfwLuu7yLkV20fdO455syASo8-XlDCdoYldjWEUKLnMJ_4QSsLl4oiM

Attachments

• VFNP.jpg
    VFNP.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 5
Some devastating stuff, especially in SE PA.

IDA completely missed us. All we got was a nice breeze. I had to resort to washing the car to make it rain.

Well, FD, come to central PA. We're having another rain day (light rain) today. We don't have to wash vehicles to make it rain this summer.

rrt wrote:
Well, FD, come to central PA. We're having another rain day (light rain) today. We don't have to wash vehicles to make it rain this summer.

No thanks, Rich. It has been a wet summer here as well. I think it is second wettest on record. But I did wash the car on Friday, and got rained on yesterday while driving around Meadville PA. I told the wife it was because I washed the car.

Light rain all morning this morning as well, but I'm not going anywhere. Aint raining hard enough to stop me from roasting a pork tenderloin on the grill.

Hoping everyone has a quick recovery from all the rain and flooding..

FD
If Erie had gotten some of that we would have had a run of fish. Few showers last night and this morning and the mouths are still very shallow or blocked off.

I live about an hour southwest of Erie. Although it rained here last night and this morning, it was very light. Too light to make a difference. Sun came out awhile ago and it is very nice out.

Bumper crop of mosquitos this year.

Was in Huntingdon since this past Thursday afternoon. Our place is back towards the dam off of 22. A short section of Point Rd. was closed off between Henderson and the Outpost bait shop but, by early evening I was seeing trucks with campers coming through headed to Branch Campground. Mid afternoon on Thursday I walked across the Tailwater/Raytown Branch of the Juniata River just down from the dam. Knee deep as usual. Friday mid morning we were up at the dam and they let go three blasts and opened the flume. By the time we got back down to the spillway it probably would have been 20' over my head where I walked across on Thursday. It took the better part of the day for that water to hit the main stem of the Juniata. If you've never seen a release like that, 91K gallons per second over the spillway. It's impressive. It really is something to see. I fished the Barree section of the Little J yesterday but, it was pretty rough fishing. I did better on Allison Rd just down stream from Barree. The Lake is at 14 to 16 ft above normal. All boat ramps are closed the Marina is a wreck. The lower end of the lake is a wreck. It looks like an old school logging operation. If you had the stones you could probably walk across the lake on the logs. The water in the area is dropping but, it's still pretty wild and high. Spruce was up and run'n fast and high also but, doable. Other than the wild water it was a great six days at camp. Only had a little rain, I think it was Friday night. Lows at night in the mid 50s and highs in the mid to upper 70s and low humidity. My kinda weather. Hope you's all had a great Labor Day weekend!

Back