Trophy Striper Caught by Bob Popovics

sandfly wrote:
fishidiot,
have you ever fished the trough north of the Indian river inlet. used to be marker showing the end of the beach buggy area and the surfing area began. come in right above there and ran parallel to the beach. seen a lot of big fish run the beach there. used to fish sharks there alot.

Yes, but it's been probably 17 or 18 years. I think you're referring to the spot local folks call the "north pocket?" Very similiar situation to what you see at IBSP down at the jetty. Had some great bluefish action at that spot.

Your not jokin there, we must have bumped into one another back then. I used to hang at Herb's bait & tackle. Just about lived at that spot when i was down there. also fenwick and cape henlopen. can't forget the big weakies in the old channel back behind the coast guard station.

sandfly wrote:
Your not jokin there, we must have bumped into one another back then. I used to hang at Herb's bait & tackle. Just about lived at that spot when i was down there. also fenwick and cape henlopen. can't forget the big weakies in the old channel back behind the coast guard station.

Yeah, the good ole days. :)
Is Herb's still in business? I never fished back of the Coast Guard station as I was strictly a shore fisherman but often heard about great catches there. I had a souped up beat-to-heck 71 Ford Maverick with a built 302 and 4 speed. Used to sleep in my car at the parking lot at Indian River and fish all night. In 1994 I was driving out of Cape Henlopen SP and was rear-ended by a truck pulling a large camper. Fortunately, nobody was hurt but the old Maverick was a total loss (bluebook value of $50).
The glory of youth.
Thanks for the memories. :)

Fishidiot and Sandfly:

I'm going to be spending a week just north of Indian River this summer and ought to be able to set aside a night or two to fish. Probably mid June. Any advice?

YoughRiverGuide wrote:
Fishidiot and Sandfly:

I'm going to be spending a week just north of Indian River this summer and ought to be able to set aside a night or two to fish. Probably mid June. Any advice?

To be honest, what I know about IR is way dated. Hopefully Sandfly or someone else can get some new, more relevant info up.

With that said, if it were me, I'd be optimistic. June is a good month (only drawback is lots of summer tourists crowding Dewey Beach etc). I'm only familiar with the north side of the inlet however there is good public access for a walk-on angler and (at least in the past) nightime accessibility. For night FFing, I'd use a 10-12WT with fast sink line and heavy tippet. IR is narrower than Barnegat and really rips when the tide is moving. Swing a large, dark night fly of your preferance right up close to the rocks with a moving tide. As is typical of saltwater, game fish forage into the current, but often are right against the rocks when the current is strong. If the inlet doesn't produce, cast northward from the jetty into the surf zone. If there is a breeze from the north/Ne, it can corral fish here not to mention bass foraging the surf line at night will also get into this pocket. It used to be that IR saw a nice weakfish run in the spring (not sure what its been like in recent years). If you can keep your fly low and slow don't be surprised if night fishing gets you hooked up with one of these guys. Weaks run large in spring and early summer and tend to be nocturnal.
Good luck with your trip.

Fishidiot
heres a pic from back in the day..and the truck I used. was your maverick blue ?? I seem to remember one there.

Attachments

• indian river beach.jpg
    indian river beach.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 4
  • blazer.jpg
    blazer.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2
YoughRiverGuide,
been a long time too...but I would hit the areas we were talking about. just walking the beaching and searching along with fishing the jetty. Back behind the C.G. station there are flats and channels to fish good for weakfish, blues, and flounder. back when i was there you could find an occasional puppy drum. there's a group of guys in Delaware who have a forum for that area, sorry can't remember the site...maybe a Google search..

sandfly wrote:
Fishidiot
heres a pic from back in the day..and the truck I used. was your maverick blue ?? I seem to remember one there.

You've had some cool fishin vehicles! The old Maverick was red....with some rust colored splotches. :)

I probably didn't fish the area as hard as you did as I didn't live close to the ocean but I'd imagine we probably crossed lines once or twice.

Back