Trindle Spring

I’ve tried fishing it a couple times of year for the past 3-4 years. Never had much luck, but I alway start down near the conodoguinet and fish up. I have caught a small rainbow and brown but other than that haven’t had much luck. I’ll occasionally see a fish I spooked but it’s pretty rare.

I should also mention that I’m not great at fishing limestone creeks, so take what I say with a grain of salt! It definitely is a beautiful little creek hidden among the urban sprawl!

I fished Trindle Spring one time in my life and took a skunking. I parked at the Wegman's. It had some decent water, depth, and lots of cress and was plenty cold. It was in the super hot summer when I fished it. I didn't see any fish except for a huge rainbow that I spooked out of some deep watercress when I stepped into the weeds. That fish was well over 20".

Stealth is key. There isn't much room for error.

Agreed!!

You don't fish places like Trindle like a regular creek, you fish them like you would fish the Letort. For me that means avoid wading at all costs and choose your spots carefully.

The trouble with Trindle is there aren't a whole lot of those "spots" that you can easily fish from the bank...

Above Rt 11
Looking Up Lambs Gap Road
Weed Beds Near Farmhouse
Weeds Along Lambs Gap Rd

My problem is when i do find a spot and I actually do hook a fish and the fish immediately buries itself in the weeds…

Struggles are real

Pretty stream pics BTW

Wonder what the ancestry is on that fish. Based on looks, has me questioning if it's the same lineage as letort and cedar run.

That's a good question. Based on the Trindle/Connie watershed, I'd say it's a good possibility!

Hogestown Run browns look like that as well.

That must be a very old bloodline. We've noticed somewhat similar characteristics on the Lehigh. You'll have three different types of browns you catch, the stock ones where the stripes blend together into zebra stripes, beautiful yellow bellied fish with large heads and a good dose of red spots but the last version looks similar to what you would find on the letort... smaller head, the little washed out in color and only about a half a dozen spots on each side. Interesting for sure. I guess the yellow ones may have German heritage and the more silvery ones might be Scottish in origin??

One from Hogestown for reference.

Attachments

• 20200821_164224_Burst01.jpg
    20200821_164224_Burst01.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200821_164223.jpg
    20200821_164223.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 72
That must be a very old bloodline. We've noticed somewhat similar characteristics on the Lehigh. You'll have three different types of browns you catch, the stock ones where the stripes blend together into zebra stripes, beautiful yellow bellied fish with large heads and a good dose of red spots but the last version looks similar to what you would find on the letort... smaller head, the little washed out in color and only about a half a dozen spots on each side. Interesting for sure. I guess the yellow ones may have German heritage and the more silvery ones might be Scottish in origin??
Phenotype or appearance has been shown to be a very poor predictor of genetics. Now that being said there is a private hatchery that breeds brook trout that have extremely different markings and unfortunately that probably represents genes sourced from very far from Pa that could be potentially harming locally/regionally adapted genes in Pa brook trout. However, for brown trout since they were not here on an evolutionarily significant timeline really there is not really any long standing adaptations to outbreed. There have been brown trout sourced from a number of European sources and combined in the hatchery system over and over again. We probably just have muts so to speak. I read a text book called trout and salmon of the world and their is reports of one population of scotish browns outwest(in cutthroat country🤦) that was not intermixed. But here in our pa streams we have likley deviated extremely far from pure Von Bere strain from the black forest and lockleven strain (lake eleven in scottish) . It should be noted “strain” is a breeders concept not a fisheries scientist’s, it has nothing to do specifically with genetics, although different strains originally likely had different genetics, its based on visual factors tbat may or may not be tied to geentics or location sourced.

Mike may be able to comment on this more than me because have not read on it specifically but diet and body of water can have effects on coloration as well.

..and lockleven strain (lake eleven in scottish) .
From Wikipedia: "The origin of the name "Leven" comes from the Pictish word for "flood". The nearby Loch Leven, being the flood lake, was the name given to both the river and town."

From Wikipedia: "The origin of the name "Leven" comes from the Pictish word for "flood". The nearby Loch Leven, being the flood lake, was the name given to both the river and town."
Trout and salmon of the world has alternate explanation than wikipedia does apparently

Most unreliable source ever but don’t have my text book to screen shot with me.

In Scotland there was [a] series of lakes that the Scots simply named lake one, lake two, lake three, etc. The most popular lake was Lake number eleven. The Scottish lingo for the lake was “Loch Leven.” It was from this lake that the Scottish brown trout were planted in the Eastern Sierras. We didn't call it a brown trout we called it Loch Leven.

Mike may be able to comment on this more than me because have not read on it specifically but diet and body of water can have effects on coloration as well.
On the Lehigh, I'm talking about 2 dramatically different types of browns in a 2-3 mile stretch. They are in the same approximate place in the river system and would imagine they have access to the same food sources. I'm thinking that one group (Scottish looking ones) all inhabit a section of river and breed in two specific tribs. You'll find them scattered throughout but the bulk are in one specific stretch. I have not taken the time to fish up either of the feeders to see if they are the dominant strain but I'm just surmising it from my experiences on the main river. It's different for sure

On the Lehigh, I'm talking about 2 dramatically different types of browns in a 2-3 mile stretch. They are in the same approximate place in the river system and would imagine they have access to the same food sources. I'm thinking that one group (Scottish looking ones) all inhabit a section of river and breed in two specific tribs. You'll find them scattered throughout but the bulk are in one specific stretch. I have not taken the time to fish up either of the feeders to see if they are the dominant strain but I'm just surmising it from my experiences on the main river. It's different for sure
Its possible they could be different gene wise. The other possibility is since PA is the wild wild west of private stocking it could be like pine creek but someone less highbprofile than slate run tackle shop is stocking clean looking fish somewhere in lehigh. Rod and gun sports mans ect. Poconos has alot of private stocking. Could be different wild fish too no way to know in our current regulatory environment it seems.

I looks great that the weeds are still there. In the Lehigh Valley limestoners I fish the weed beds are a distant memory. I remember combing my fingers through the weeds and getting handfuls of scuds and cressbugs many years ago No longer the case.

Back