trico spinner

TM,
I had this happen to me once, so I'm just saying... Check your hooks to be sure they are Dry Fly hooks, PU pack @ Cabelas and every Trico 22/sank after few casts. Took them back and they replaced them. Someone marked them wrong.
I always tie spinners with Poly, in both White & Grey.

well these were tco size 20 dry fly hooks.....i will be getting size 24 and a hares foot and i will let yall no how i do

whats evryones favorite threads for small tricos? i am using 70 denier and i thin its fine.....but i dont like the 8/0 and 6/0 stuff.

TM,

I don't know the answer to fishing duns in the early AM. I have been focusing on the AM spinnerfalls because it seems that is the stage of the hatch that I have been catching over the past couple of seasons. Admittedly, I have a whole lot more to learn about the trico hatch itself, but that's what keeps it interesting for me.

TM,

As far as thread goes, different manufacturers classify the size of their tying thread using different methods. Denier and the Aught "0" system are most commonly used. UTC Ultra thread uses the denier system (70 - red label on spool, 140 - yellow, 210 - green, 280 - blue). Uni products Inc makes Uni Thread which they classify size using the Aught system (3/0,6/0,8/0,12/0 etc). UTC 70 denier cross references very closely to Uni Thread 8/0 (which I think is actually 72 denier). I use a lot of Uni Thread to tie with and am pretty happy with it. Your 70 denier is definitely the right size thread to use to tie your tricos. The brand of thread you choose to tie with is simply "tyer's preference".

I tie my trico spinners in #22 and #24 - usually able to take fish on #22, but occassionally find that the smaller one works better.
I use black or gray 8 ott thread - depending on if I'm tying males - all black body - or females, half black and half white body.
My favorite wing materiel is sparkly antron. Can usually see flys tied with it - and it works quite well

ALS trico and rat do work but to these old eyes they are invisible. Call me crazy but I think they evolved on the LL where wading is prohibited and you are well above the stream and can see better. On the 20, 22, 24 issue, 20's work since some of you have that experience but I just tie 22's and 24's with poly wing.

ook thanks, and we usually fish the am and fish spinners but i always wanted to try a dun to see the reaction, and i will be getting some more matterials and hooks this wwek and i will post pics. I love the utc 70 denier. its so much smoother then then "other stuff"

smaller thread is way better. even 8/0 can build up a body too much. I like Bennechi or Sheer 14/0.

i think i will try poly yarn and antron first.....will i need tails for the spinners? i have fished em with out and did fine but was wodering your guys opinions.

troutmagnet wrote:
i think i will try poly yarn and antron first.....will i need tails for the spinners? i have fished em with out and did fine but was wodering your guys opinions.
I use white microfibbets for tails on trico spinners. Split tail with one microfibbet on each side. The tails are long also. I tie them about twice as long as the hook shank.

yeah i use them on my cdc sulphurs, but wasnt sure, but i wonder if im having trouble with my flies floating is because of the tco dry fly hooks, i read there a lil more thicker and im guessing the extra weight doesnt help.

I'f you've ever caught a trico right before the spinner fall, you'll see that they have very long pronounced tails. You definitely want to add a tail to them. (at least that's my opinion).

Try a hackle wing, wraped around the body and clip the hackle under the body. With spinners it isn't about staying afloat anyway, many times trout take them better if they've gone below the surface.
They are only found in PA in one size #24.

+1 on sinking the spinners. You could drop it off a Trico parachute or some other indicator fly that's subtle.

I like a little flash in the wing, tied on a Tiemco 2499SPBL.

This sunken trico has done very well for me. I usually fish it about two feet off the bend of a beetle pattern with a bright indicator post.

Sunken Trico:

Hook - Tiemco 2488 sz 22
Thread - Griffiths 14/0 black
Tails & Wing - bright white antron, or Fluorofiber (pictured)
Rib - XSmall black Ultrawire
Thorax - black Superfine dubbing
Abdomen - thread
Bead - 11/0 glass craft bead

Attachments

• Sunken Trico.jpg
    Sunken Trico.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 2
I like that pattern. That is a really good look for a sunken trico pattern. Going to put that one on the fly tying "to do" list. I can understand why HA has had success with it.

HA,

Do you need the bead to sink that fly or do you think the ultra wire rib would be enough to get it down?

I've only been fishing that particular pattern for a couple of years.

Used to tie 'em without the rib and bead, and just put a couple of wraps of lead under the thorax. Also used Organza for the wings and tails, but the Fluorofiber is easier to work with. Those worked OK, but I like this one better.

The combination of the bead and thorax gives that nice fat thorax that is so prominent on tricos. Helps to keep the wings in shape too. The beads are from Walmart, btw.

Back