trico spinner

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

so i went to tco and asked them to help me find the stuff for tieing spinner wings....and he pointed me to this long string white fibers and told me to get that, he said it floats better then antron so i decedied sure. Well i tied a few in a size 20 and they didnt float to well and did i get shafted or what?

What was the name of the material? I use poly yarn for the wings on trico spinners. Also tie them on size 24 hooks. Size 20 is too big.

ok, snd no it wasnt poly wing, i was gonna get that also but its a materiel for like streamer bodies......ill look then. and its my fisrst time ting tricos and we caught plenty of fish on size 20s...but i willget 24s

ya have to grease the wings..

with wat? i put gink on em and it barly held em in the surface?

I like to use dun colored snowshoe rabbit fur for the wings on my trico spinners. They stay up real well using "bunny" fur. You can also grease them up after you catch a few fish on one, but sometimes they are also real effective when they drown out and ride just under the surface.

I am guessing you bought DNA fibers. Possibly Z-Lon. For spinner wings I generally use Poly yarn as others have suggested. For Tricos though I tie some with poly and some Marinaro hackle wing spinners, which are deadly. Size 20 Tricos? No way. Not sure where you were fishing but most wild fish would not even look at a size 20 trico. I tie them in 24's and 26's.

Tricos don't start till 4th of july, maybe with the warm weather 1 at most 2 weeks earlier. On the tully I doubt you will get by with a size 20. The first brood are a little larger, but even still I think no larger than a 22. I agree with lonewolf grease is best, and put some on the leader also. In any event they were not tricos. Tricos like sun, and warm weather.

well we were fishing the tully last year in july and gettin them on 18 caddis and 20 22 and 24 tricos but i just got size 20s to practice tying smaller flies.....and wen i get home i will put the name of the material up...but ima prolly get snowshoe hare or poly.

Whatever material you purchased for wings tie us size 20 tricos. Not only will you get the practice you are looking for but sunken tricos are deadly from sun up until sundown in the summer and correct size isn't critical.

For a trico dry fly I recommend Al's trico size 24 or a comparadun size 20 pattern. Snowshoes is great from wing material and can be used as a sub in many patterns

+1 for al's trico. good midge imitation too, not a bad ant either. Uses basic materials too. Thread, dubbing, grizzly hackle...done.
I acknowledge that tons of fish have been caught on Z-lon/antron/poly/organza whatever wings, but sometimes I think they are too flashy. my .02.

I tie my snowshoe tricos on 20 or 22 Daiichi 1130 or TMC 2488. These are a wide gap curved shank scud hook. You can tie down to a size 24 or 26 fly on a larger hook but knowing the body length and wing size is important. I like these hooks for two reasons. They are stronger than conventional straight shank hooks (if you get into a nice fish) and IMO the wide gap equals more hook sets. I generally tie a size 24 trico on the size 20 hook. I use a very small amount of black fine and dry dubbing for the prominent thorax with the spent dun colored snowshoe hair for the wings trimmed to the right length. I don't include a tail. IMO I catch just as many fish w/o a tail. Many naturals on the water don't have tails any more when they get to the spinner stage and the trout eat them all the time. In fact I think that if your tails are not the right length (too long or short) it may break the deal for you. I fish them off the bend of an 18 Griffith's gnat which I key on and the trout often mistake the GG for a cluster of tricos (I guess). A size 18 tan caddis would probably work just as well in place of the GG. This has been a real productive set up for me over the past couple of trico seasons. I hope we get a decent chance to fish the trico hatches this year before the warms up too much. Tight lines!

Go to a fabric shop and get some Organza material. Works great. Soak it in some floatant before you use the fly. Rodd Gunn

it is dna frosty fish fibers?

hey dc410 do you think you could put up a pic of your snowshoe hair trico spinner? thanks

i found the pattern.....but were can i purchase a foot? thanks again its my first time ever tying tricos

Troutmagnet,

I'm glad you found the pattern. I was going to try to put up a picture but I am a real rookie to posting pics on the forum, and up to this point it is a bit of a slow learning curve. Go to your local fly shop where they carry a decent stock of tying materials or one of the big stores (Bass pro or Cabelas). You should have no problem finding snowshoe feet (they come two in a pack). The dun colored is my preference but you can certainly use whatever color you like. Snowshoe is died in all kinds of colors. Use the fuzzy hair off of the pad of the foot for the wing material. This hair is already treated with mother nature's dry fly floatant to keep the bunnie's feet warm and dry in their normal habitat. I do use either a gel type (gink or payette paste) or powder (frogs fanny) to apply after I have caught a number of fish on the same fly. I will fish the same fly until it literally falls apart from wear. This is a real easy and quick tie so it is a great pattern for you to start tying tricos and they are serious fish catchers. Good luck and have fun!

+1 for organza. I tried poly wings and organza wings and put them both to the test in a glass of water, untreated. organza lasted longer.
Plus you can get a lifetime supply for $4 at Joanns.

I just tie basic trico spinners. Little trick I learned is to always use white thread, and then just color a few of the bodies with a black sharpie. That way you arent switching threads back and forth to tie male vs. female spinners. Just sit down one night and knock out like 30 of them and you'll have enough for the summer.

ok thanks.....i usually can get to tco so i will try there for a foot. I love fishing trico hatches, and would size 20 trico duns work good in the early morning?

Here is a vid for tying Al's Trico. Sorry, it's over 12 minutes long to tie a 2 minute fly! This trico pattern has always worked well for me. I usually tie it in a size 24. Good luck.

Al's Trico

Back