Transitions "Vantage" Lenses

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

I'm not sure if this belongs under the Gear forum or here. Moderators please move if it does indeed belong elsewhere. Thanks.

Eye glass question. Has anyone used the new Transitions "Vantage" Lenses yet? They are supposedly the polarized version of lenses that darken in sunlight. That would be perfect for me as I need to get new glasses and would not have to get another pair polarized if these indeed worked as advertised.

Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks.
George (aka Fox)

I just got a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses that lighten in darker conditions. I’m not sure if that’s what is called Transitions vantage lenses or not, but they seem to be working fine, although I haven’t had a chance to wear them in extremely bright sunlight yet to see just how much they do darken.

The owner of the place in Lancaster were I bought them recommended them to me when I told him I often wore my sunglasses for fishing.

I was able to buy a new, but discontinued, Costa Del Mar sunglasses frame at a discounted price, which I have on another pair of Costa sunglasses and like better than the current Costa frame models. The optician then sent the frames to their laboratory (near Pittsburgh) to have the polarized glass lenses made. All in all, I ended up with what I think are superior sunglasses at about half what Costa Del Mar sunglasses would have cost.

I used Transition lenses in the past. They worked fine outdoors, although i could only get them in grey tint and not my preferred brown. But unless they've changed, they did not darken while driving in the car and I found this to be an annoyance.
I have polarized prescription sunglasses now in addition to my standard glasses.

I had the same issue as sgrim with transitions lenses. Maybe the new lenses work better?

teedee wrote:
I had the same issue as sgrim with transitions lenses. Maybe the new lenses work better?

Same here when driving.

My theory is when driving and looking out the windshield there is often no direct sunlight shining on the lenses and they fail to darken.

I'm in the process of getting new glasses and am going to get prescription sunglasses as well. Anyone have a good source to get a little break on the price? I need a damn loan to get both pairs

I hear you on the cost, Drakeking. I was lucky to have VSP vision plan to help offset some of it. Still very pricey when I factored in rayban frames, polarization, progressive correction on the lens ( so I can actually see my flies) ...

I was once told that there something in the windshield glass that prevents the type of light that darkens the lenses from getting through so your glasses will not darken while driving. But the "vantage" line is supposedly polarized where the earlier version just darkened.

Transitions Vantage Lens use state of the art photochromic dye technology developed by PPG in Monroeville, PA. Instead of having a layer of polarizing film like other polarized lenses, Vantage lens darken and variably polarize as the dye molicules are activated by ultraviolet light.

They don't work while driving, as automotive glass doesn't transmit enough UV light to activate them. Transitions makes another lens for driving--see DRIVEWEAR LENS in the link below.

I'm a member of the R&D team at PPG in Monroeville that develops and manufactures all of the photochromic dyes used by Transitions Optical.

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/why-transitions/the-technology/variable-polarization/

The sunglasses I have seem sufficiently dark while I’m driving, but like I said earlier I haven’t had a chance so far to wear them in very bright sunlight, just the normal winter sunlight. I also got mine in polarized brown, although they don’t seem as dark as my other pair of brown Costa’s.

I saved quite a bit by buying a discontinued model frame ($85.00 versus $249.00) and the place I bought them at gave another 20% discount to members of the fitness center where I’m a member. I think mine still cost somewhere between $350.00 and $400.00, versus well over $700.00 for Costa’s or Maui Jim’s, for example.

I bought Smith Optic sunglasses for many years, but stopped getting mine there several years ago as a result of their limited selection of frames that they offered for prescription lenses.

Inexpensive polarized prescription sunglasses: https://www.zennioptical.com/

My prescription includes correction for an astigmatism and myopia. I got progressive lenses, polarized with brown tint and Oleophobic (Premium Oil And Fingerprint Resistant) Anti-Reflective Coating. My cost, delivered, was $141, delivered. If you time it so you get a decent promo, you can save a lot of that price.

I've gone through 2 pair in the last 5 years. Since this is mail order, you need your prescription and some frame measurements from a pair of glasses that fit you well. They are not Costas, but they are pretty good prescription sunglasses at a great price!

My past experience with tint changing lenses was so bad I will never buy them again. Mine would change from car headlights or even street lights. It would be night time and I looked like I was wearing sunglasses. I'm sure the technology is way better today but glasses are so expensive I just go with the sure thing of two pair. I have a regular pair of glasses and sun glasses. I don't buy the hype of named brand frames. Instead I pay as little as possible for the frames so I can afford to get my glasses polarized, glare coating, impact proof, scratch proof and progressive. Even with cheap frames my sunglasses still cost 500 bucks. I treat them like faberge eggs. They are either on my face or in their case.

The nice thing about spending under $150 for prescription polarized sunglasses is that I don't have to be as nervous about taking care of them. I take good care of them anyway. The only reason I replaced my first pare is that my prescription changed.

The problem in the car is the auto glass has UV resistance. UV I believe is what as activates the darkening. As I mentioned on the FB thread, I am going to look into these this spring st my optometrist. The "clip on" ones just add to the tint of my normal transitions - and its frustrating.
Mike B

I'll 2nd the Zennioptical site.
I bought a nice pair of polarized prescription sunglasses from them several months ago. They had a black friday sale right after Thanksgiving - 20% off. Ended up paying under $100 bucks for glasses that I'm really happy with.

So did any of the R&D take place on a stream ?

JGR wrote:
Transitions Vantage Lens use state of the art photochromic dye technology developed by PPG in Monroeville, PA. Instead of having a layer of polarizing film like other polarized lenses, Vantage lens darken and variably polarize as the dye molicules are activated by ultraviolet light.

They don't work while driving, as automotive glass doesn't transmit enough UV light to activate them. Transitions makes another lens for driving--see DRIVEWEAR LENS in the link below.

I'm a member of the R&D team at PPG in Monroeville that develops and manufactures all of the photochromic dyes used by Transitions Optical.

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/why-transitions/the-technology/variable-polarization/

Back