Topwater Bass Flies

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

thanks for the post !

OK, here is my favorite top water bass fly the Wooly Frogger hehehe hope you like it

X M,

Good looking fly, can you share the recipe?? Looks like a wooly Bugger on a very large hook w/ a foam head.

JH

JH, it is a kind of wooly bugger hehe but a surface one :):) the recipe is quite simple, here it is

Hook: 6xl streamer sizes 2-8
Thread: Unicord
Tail: Marabou and crystal flash
Back: 2mm foam strip as wide as your fly's body
Body:Chenille
Hackle: Saddle
Legs: Grizzly sili legs
Head: Foam shaped with dremel tool
Eyes: Holographic stick on

Sounds good, Thanks!

JH

My favorite top water bass flie is the sneekey pete slider. Works great in any color, as long as it's chartruese. lol

I'm partial to Sneaky Pete style sliders myself. Here's a a couple in 1/0

gallery45441505a0458.jpg

Another one I like that you don't see mentioned very often are pencil poppers.

These are smallie size.

gallery4591e8c850f95.jpg

For some reason, since I've started flyfishing for smallies 2 years ago, I've run across nice fish sucking mayflies in the Allegheny but were picky about a popper. I find I have to finagle them into eating. As an evolution in fly design: pure accident combined with fishing results, I used small or mini-popper heads with about 3" Schlappen feathers out the back. Just white with some red crystal flash. The feathers hang well down under the surface with the popper head popping up on top. A regular slider or popper would get nips and misses or get hammered immediately (no worries there, of course) This accidental design was eaten more consistantly. Buzzbaits are the only other as consistant and predictable surface lure. When most of the whole body of the fly fly floats as with normal poppers, the bass seemed less inclined to eat freely. Hanging under the water, they seemed to be less inhibited to eat. It could be why Gartside Gurglers have done well too. A lot of that fly is well into and hanging under the water at the pause.
Something to think about if you get nippers and sippers.
Syl

I was waiting for someone to say pencil poppers!!

I use a Rapala or a royal wulff

Back