Tobyhanna creek near Tobyhanna

CathyG

CathyG

Does anyone know how Tobyhanna Creek fishes in summer? Is it worth it?

I was thinking about hitting it in SGL127 off 423.

Cathy,

Not a good choice. The Toby warms in the summer.

Toby Temps

Mud Run or Hickory Run may be better.

Suggest you contact A&A Outfitters and/or the Evening Hatch to get conditions for the streams.

Good fishing.

For trout, I agree, it warms up too much in the summer months.

For smallmouth bass, it can be quite decent if that's your thing.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there were smallies in there.

I'm trying to find a spot near Mt Pocono as a matter of convenience to help a new guy.

fish the lake for pickerel, will hit flys like crazy...

Roaring brook is okay during the summer, and with the lower temperatures we're now having it should be good.

A private club on the stream, members and guest only. If you know someone who belongs its a nice section of stream. They do stock it though. I have fished it over the years and it can be good or bad depending on the weather.

Cathy there is a new part of Toby along rt 115 that is now open and stocked that is great fishing just have to walk about a mile or so to get away from the crowds. Its just before you get to Blakeslee just south there are 3 different access points. Good fishing got a 20 inch tigger there last fall.

Wasn't aware that stretch was actually stocked. I do know that fish come down from the Pocono Preserve club and up from the Dream Mile, though.

Because of weather and high water I haven't been able to fish Tobyhanna creek for 2 Saturdays in a row. Last Saturday morning we had some thunder storms around me and this past Friday 2" of rain brought creeks up several times normal cfs. I did walk the Creek trail in Austin Blakeslee preserve down to the waterfall, looks like nice water.

I'm going to fish the DHALO section soon with someone. I may make a trip to Evening Hatch this week and if water levels are down enough I'm going to stop on the way back (I get on 80E from 115) and fish the preserve with buggers.

They don't stock the Austin blakeslee preserve. Steelie is right there is a club both upstream and down from there. It gets to warm in that stretch all you will catch right now is smb.

Cathy I don't start fishing until I get way past the waterfall and with the cooler nights up there I would think the trout fishing would be good. I have been told that the clubs stock the preserve. Not sure which one but one of the private ones supposedly stock it. I know I cathch an awful lot of trout thru there not to be stocked.

Dcap240 wrote:
They don't stock the Austin blakeslee preserve. Steelie is right there is a club both upstream and down from there. It gets to warm in that stretch all you will catch right now is smb.

Curious, how do you know the preserve stretch is not stocked? It's public access on a PFBC stocked stream, I'm pretty darn sure that stretch is indeed stocked in the spring.

Ryan,
It doesn't look like it's stocked on the PAFBC site.

I doubt PFBC stocks it in that stretch. The Toby gets stocked from the same truck that stocks the Lehigh. The couple times I helped stock, the Toby bound trout were taken out of the PFBC truck and put into a large plastic tank on a pick up truck and those trout were bound for the DHALO section of the Toby.

I never followed them (no one did) so they could have been dumped anywhere.

The stocking particulars may change from year to year but the Preserve is a pretty good distance from the Gouldsboro meet up spot for stocking.

"The Stretch" owned by Blue Ridge heavily stocks the Tunkhannock which flows into the Toby below the waterfall at the lower Austin T Blakeslee section. I'm sure a lot of the Tunk stocked trout end up in Toby.

Back