Tips on fishing with Al's Rat and San Juan Worm

More likely to snag a sucker in that stream but those monsters are fun as well.

Ugh, I got (basically) skunked! I'll write a new post detailing the day. Thanks for the suggestions though, all.

Never fished one, I'd probly be a lot more successful if I had any faith in midge imitations. But, I'm not into the small flies.

Worms aren't that sexy but can be super productive. Some tailwaters have lots of tubifex worms and the SJW and its brethern are a good choice year round. On nearly all rivers I give worms a try when nyphing in the spring, or when waters are clearing after a storm. Any time waters are on the rise aquatic worms get flushed and it is a great time to give them a try.

gfen wrote:

So, evidently, I'm in the minority making the heaviest fly the last in the chain regardless of how I fish them?

Interesting.
o

im w. u on this one

I've tied my heaviest fly on last when fishing my top fly or two off a dropper tied to the leader, but I don't like to tie them in-line this way. My most effective and easiest rig is 4lb test, shot if needed, weighted nymph, 2lb test off the bend, unweighted fly. 3/4 of my fish are caught off the trailing fly

going to try this today bam...

not sure if this is just more effective, or if the fish are seeing the 2x off your middle nymph...?

actually, it's 2lb test.... If I were using tippet it would be 4 or 5x on the leader and 5 or 6 x off the bend to a wet fly

my bad.. i see now. misread

Back