tippet length manada and stony

I was talking about nymphing. Thanks.

In that case I think you can ignore most of the advice given above as it really doesn't apply to nymphing.

I am assuming you are using off the shelf extruded tapered leaders. First you have to understand the composition of such a leader. A typical 9.5 ft leader is going to have approximately 2-3' of the tippet size promoted on the packaging as actual tippet built in. For example if you have a 9' 5x leader, then the leader will be constructed of a few feet of butt, a few feet of transition and a few feet of tippet at 5x. You an fish this straight out of the package. As you change flies, loose flies, break off, etc you will be shortening this few feet of tippet. At this point you will want to use a double or triple surgeons knot to add a couple more feet of tippet, 5x in our example. With maybe a 10% exception, you can do all your introductory, basic indicator nymphing with this leader. Adjuster your indicator to vary your depth and presentation. If you are sight nymphing and not using an indicator, vary your shot to get into the proper section of the water column for said sighted fish.

Having said that, you are going to hear all kinds of noise on using a tapered leader in nymphing, using straight mono. That info is absolutely correct. However, I am assuming you are a beginner based upon the question. I assume you are not going to change leaders for dry versus nymphing. I also believe that while the increases in efficiency of varying nymphing leaders are certainly present, they will be marginally noticeable to a beginning fisherman.

Was it humphreys or harvey that disproved the tippet size thing? I can't remember.

Not to take jdaddy's thunder, but that experiment was already done, and unless something's changed, he'll win.

The issue is drag. Lighter tippets decrease drag, since they are more supple. Using a longer piece of 5x accomplishes the same thing.

My experience with the berkley stuff is that it's not as supple as traditional tippet material. While it may or may not be invisible, the drag is still there.

Jeff knows what line I'm going to use now about finding better ways to save a buck than tippet. Play 'em off keyboard cat.

Was it humphreys or harvey that disproved the tippet size thing? I can't remember. Not to take jdaddy's thunder, but that experiment was already done, and unless something's changed, he'll win.

You owe me money. Dork.

As a general rule, I'd go with a 5-6 foot butt/tapered leader section and adjust the tippet length, weight and/or indicator till your nymphs are bouncing along the bottom a few feet into your drift. You'll want your indicator near the end of your leader or the top of your tippet. Typically, you'll be nymphing with 3-5 feet of tippet with this setup.

As for light line, I do fine with my 6X plus but my Pap was a spin fisherman and would catch trout better than anyone I knew or know. He used 2lb or less mono fishing line exclusively.

berkley 100 % fluro is the cats a..... !!!!!!

jayL wrote:
Was it humphreys or harvey that disproved the tippet size thing? I can't remember.

I was just reading that section in Harvey's book the other day... Ironic!

Back