Tioga Trout Troop Rides Again

Festus

Festus

Spring has sprung in God's Country. Had a GREAT turnout for the Pine stocking in Tioga County. Some nice fish for a change of pace this year. Even met a few varmints from this here board. :-o

Nice technique! Chuck'em in and wish 'em well!

Would you rather we smootch each fish individually, pat 'em on the tale and wish them a good life? :)

BrookTroutLover wrote:
Nice technique! Chuck'em in and wish 'em well!

BTL

Its actually the best way to put them in after being in the bucket for a while. They hit the water and go nose forward immediately.

If you tip the bucket and let them roll into a pile they usually mill around in the shallows and sometimes bury themselves in the silt. Spend alot of time reviving.

The F&BC used to dump them off bridges til the public complained and in some remote areas they drop them from helicopters.

Maurice

It was really good to see that many people take time out of their day to help with the stocking. i got a feeling we will make a lot of young fishermen happy the first day.

Hey, some of those trout have fins!

Is it really true that they stocked with helicopters in PA, or a rumor? Are they the same helicopters used to airlift mountain lions in? Were the helicopters black?

Not sure about here in PA but they use them in Idaho. Back in the70s they stocked a ton of lakes above 6000ft with fingerlings by helicopter. Created some amazing fisheries out of many sterile lakes. I'd be interested to know if they did it here as well.

troutbert wrote:
Hey, some of those trout have fins!

Is it really true that they stocked with helicopters in PA, or a rumor? Are they the same helicopters used to airlift mountain lions in? Were the helicopters black?

I wanted to say out west...but didn't. I'm glad Tom chimed in. I didn't mean to imply it was in PA. Whatever.. the point is, the fish don't mind...and it actually helps to shock them into their new environment.

I saw no mountain lions in the pictures....for the record.

Back