Tioga River Reclamation

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

https://www.northcentralpa.com/community/non-profit/20-million-tioga-river-mine-drainage-cleanup-in-the-works/article_0aa65e12-a075-11ea-8f48-f3d463b0bfc8.html

Reading this article i was getting really excited.
Then...

?

More than a century after mines in Tioga County stopped producing coal, their shafts are still sending acid into the Tioga River.

Over 22 miles of the Tioga are "impaired" by acid mine discharges (AMD), according to a restoration plan prepared by Tom Clark of the Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC). The Tioga has no fish until it reaches the Tioga-Hammond Dam, almost 20 miles downstream.

Most of the pollution flows into the Tioga from five tributaries that connect with the river near Blossburg. Most of that comes from four deep mines near Morris Run.

A water treatment plant that will cost up to $20 million is in the works for the Morris Run area to treat those acid discharges.

Coal Creek and Morris Run have been responsible for a majority of the acid flowing into the Tioga for years, with the percentage of their contribution climbing higher since reclamation projects were completed on Johnson and Bear creeks. In 2018 testing, the two tributaries accounted for 88 percent of the total.

According to Paul Otruba, the first Upper Susquehanna Riverkeeper, a "passive" treatment plant was installed on Fall Brook several years ago. That plant was simply limestone pieces "as large as a grapefruit" put in the creek to reduce the acidity of its water.

Southwestern Energy put up money for the limestone plant, according to Dr. Lee Stocks Jr., associate professor of Geosciences and the Director of the Institute of Science and the Environment at Mansfield University.

Stream restoration is a piece by piece, long-term job, according to Dr. Jennifer Demchak, who specializes in watershed management at Mansfield.

"You clean up Fall Brook and now there's a three to four mile run before Morris Run impacts it. You start at the headwaters where you have a fishery," Demchak said

In the case of this "active" plant, which will involve chemical treatments and a small building to hold the materials, they will be placing it near the mouth of Morris Run

?

$20 million Tioga River mine drainage cleanup in the works

"There's so much impact to Morris Run so many treatment plants (at headwaters) wouldn't be economically feasible," Demchak said. "You forfeit eight miles of Morris Run for the benefit of the bigger system."

The approximately $20 million cost won't be all up front. Much of the money will be put in a bank account, which will pay for staff time and treatment chemicals.

The active plant run by the Babb Creek Watershed Association has a building "like a garage," Stocks said, and they "actually produce electricity and sell it back to the grid."

?

A slate dump pile in the Tioga River watershed. 

Photo provided by Prof. Lee Stocks

Most of the impetus for these projects comes from grassroots organizations, like the Tioga County Concerned Citizens Committee that has been involved with the development of this planned treatment plant. Treating all the damage still remaining to the West Branch of the Susquehanna would cost $15 billion up front, according to Demchak.

Without much government support, it's a long, slow process. Demchak has been involved in cleaning up creeks in her home of Clearfield County for years. It's "not two years, it's a 20-year process," Demchak said.

"When I was a kid in downtown Clearfield there was no point of going fishing in the West Branch," Demchak said. "Now people are catching sunfish and crappies constantly."

The restoration plan prepared by the SRBC that was required to get the federal money has this to say about fish restoration in the Tioga:

Once restored, the Tioga River should repopulate with fish fairly quickly. Native brook trout can be found in the mainstem of the Tioga River upstream of the AMD impacts and in many of the upstream tributaries. Fish should also move in from the many unimpaired tributaries between Blossburg and Mansfield. In addition, fish should be able to move upstream from the Tioga-Hammond Dam for the first time. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission also plans to add 1.5 miles of the Tioga River around Blossburg to its trout stocking program.

Cant stop for just a little bit can you? More than 100 years of pollution about to get cleaned up and a possible larger river system with limited competition for brook trout and you already want to stock it? Cant just wait and see?
Yep just fill it with stocked trout and let the browns take over.
I guess that is "trout management." Contrary to all scientific evidence just keep the status quo. Amirite?

Smh.
What fools.

Not that this will make you feel any better, but it’s already stocked (I think including with Browns) above the impaired section, upstream of Fall Brook. I’d bet there’s already wild Browns in the system.

Really?

Well they should stop that immediately.
I was informed it was all brook trout.

It’s definitely stocked. Can’t double check with what species right now with the stocking schedule down because of Covid. Working off memory on the species but I thought it got a mix of species stocked.

Agree though. Ideally, it should not be stocked. Let the native fish that survived elsewhere in the watershed repopulate it. Or, if you must stock it to reseed the population, Brookies only.

IMO a huge opportunity for larger wild brook trout.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
IMO a huge opportunity for larger wild brook trout.

Definitely.

Above the AMD pollution, the Tioga River holds both native brook trout and wild browns.

It is a stocked stream, and has been stocked for ages.

Every article i see on this or anything only mentions brook trout. Are you sure browns are there?.

Im sure they are just odd no mention of them anywhere.

I dont care how long its been stocked.
The "we have always done it this way" dont fly with me at work or in life, certainly dont apply here either.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Every article i see on this or anything only mentions brook trout. Are you sure browns are there?.

Im sure they are just odd no mention of them anywhere.

I dont care how long its been stocked.
The "we have always done it this way" dont fly with me at work or in life, certainly dont apply here either.

Yes. It's mixed browns and brookies. And you get up in the far headwaters and in the small tribs, it becomes predominately brook trout, i.e. the same pattern as you see in many freestone streams in PA.

As you know, I don't think they should be stocking over native brook trout and wild browns. It's a very common problem in PA.

I do know Dwight. Wasnt really directed at you or anyone here. I just hear that a lot , the well we always.....

Yep and look how screwed up it is ;-)

Well an with that. Likely another opportunity for a larger brook trout watershed down the tubes.

One day we will have nothing but brown trout it seems.

Just some further background on the watershed, it is stocked as has been mentioned for a very long time. I believe it is primarily wild Brook trout, but there are some browns. It is not a very fertile stream, insect life is sparse and mostly linked to underlying geology and acid deposition. The existing passive treatment system on fall Brook is highly successful, if this active system can in fact treat the rest of the watershed this is a huge win for water quality. This should help improve water quality within the Tioga river but also the Tioga/ Hammond lake system as well. Even without stocking, I'm not sure how well wild trout would do in the restored reach. I choose to focus on the water quality improvement as the biggest win here.

Lyco,

Thanks.

If it is anything like the others, it will blow up with fish.
Enjoy it.

I'm not that familiar with the area, but we were up in Mansfield for a baseball tournament a few years back. We went somewhere to eat, Nd the Tioga River was right there. It looked like a huge channel as I recall. I would have to think this was well downstream from the stocked area. I remember thinking how sad it looked.

Jeff, you are thinking of the stretch right in Mansfield. It is channelized through a flood control levy system. When the levy system was built it is likely that section could not support aquatic life. The treatment system that is proposed to be built is 12-15 miles upstream and the stocked section is another couple miles upstream from the proposed treatment location. With the connection to the lakes downstream the reach around Mansfield should develop a nice warm/ coolwater fishery in short time as water quality improves.

According to the 2019 stocking schedule, it's stocked with browns and brook trout. (Edit: I can't figure out how to embed that image at a legible size, so click the url)

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 7.56.16 AM

I agree Sal. I don't understand why the immediate response to recovered water is to stock it with non-native species. If a newly recovered waterway can support wild brook trout (or other native fish species), that should be the only fish transplanted into the waterway.

I was looking at a completely different wild brook trout stream a while back and came across some posts (here) about how it was stocked with fingerling BROWN trout. It's another infertile stream that only supports a small population of wild brook trout, so I guess that doesn't satisfy the fishery management folks, so they tried to convert it to wild brown trout, which failed.

Sometimes it almost seems like they're actually TRYING to displace brook trout.

silverfox wrote:
I was looking at a completely different wild brook trout stream a while back and came across some posts (here) about how it was stocked with fingerling BROWN trout. It's another infertile stream that only supports a small population of wild brook trout, so I guess that doesn't satisfy the fishery management folks, so they tried to convert it to wild brown trout, which failed.

The ironic part about this is that Brook Trout actually deal with infertility better than Brown Trout. Typically infertile water is acidic, and Brook Trout have a stronger tolerance for acidic water than Brown Trout. Also, Brook Trout feeding behavior (eat anything and everything that floats by) gives them an advantage in these environments with little food over Brown Trout. Brown Trout tend to gorge when the conditions are good, and then hide and not eat when conditions are not. There's just not much food to start with in these infertile environments. There are actually Brook Trout in streams with little, or even NO aquatic insects. They're eating nothing but terrestrials, and each other. I've never found Brown Trout in a stream like that.

This is why you see Brook Trout able to outcompete Brown Trout in the extreme headwaters of many watersheds where Brown Trout are the predominant species just a few miles downstream where fertility has only mildly increased.

My guess silverfox is because they are the only group out of like 15 not involved in the clean up.

This way when its over they can stock it and be like "hey look we provided you another fishery."

I have fished that water since I was young and still do. Like others have said there is a population of wild brook trout, wild browns are very scarce. The stocking used to be primarily brook trout with some browns and rainbows mixed in. This year no brook trout were stocked, most were rainbows with a few browns (according to the WCO). It is heavily fished, with little attention paid to rules and regs.

Years ago it was an area comprised mainly of seasonal camps. That has changed as there are many permanent residences and even more camps. The area has been heavily influenced by the gas industry as well.

How good is (was?) the population of Brookies? Down to the area where the pollution starts (Fall Brook) the stream has to be of fairly big size, for Brook Trout water.

I've never fished it, and this is just an educated guess based on similar waterways I have fished, but I'd bet there are more wild Browns there than one might think. They're typically not that easy to catch, especially in comparison to Brookies if they're both present. I'll be up that way in the coming weeks...I'll devote a day to it and see what I turn up.

Back