Thread box\orgainzation ??

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

What do you guys use....or recommend for thread storage\organization? Not looking to buy the most expensive item and frankly, even "shop made" will suffice.

Just looking for something that will work, not break easily, so I can scan and retrieve my threads\spooled wires\spooled materials easily....instead of using my current method of "toss it all into a big baggie" kind of method.

Ideas are welcome!

Thanks

I use a thread organizer I got from a local sewing/fabric supply store, Joanne fabrics, I think. I use a smaller one for tinsel and wire.

Attachments

• ThreadOrg1.jpg
    ThreadOrg1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 3
I have 50-ish spools on my desk currently as I ponder storage options. I like the wooden racks but I dont want dusty thread/floss. I'm leaning toward plastic thread-purposed boxes from Joann or Michael's. Maybe a small wooden rack and the majority of the material in a box.

I'd love to see which implement you choose.

the thread boxes from joanns are really nice but they store the thread vertically and i like it horizontal so i can see what the color is. personally i use lure trays for my thread

Sometimes you just gotta ask the Mrs about stuff. I ask her if she had any ideas of how to store my threads....and she got up, went to her "stuff" and came back with this "Nicole" brand spool storage box. She said she picked it up a few years back at a garage sale.

Free is always good! I've got about 40 spools stored and, with placing the spools horizontally I can fit another 10 easy.

z1E9upq.jpg

I have two clear plastic thread organizers from Walmart that were cheap. I'd post a picture but Walmart doesn't carry that model anymore. My only point is, they're in a closed box and not exposed to dust. I also keep my thread/wire/foil collection away from light.

Sealable food storage containers (the square sandwich size) work well for me. These are 'Glad', 'Tupperware'. etc brand name. They stack into each other. They are two for $ 1 at the dollar stores.

I put 3/0 threads in one, 6/0 threads in one, and 8/0 threads in another. Also, I keep Uni-wire and lead wire in one, and I put floss, tinsels, etc in another. Label the end of each container and stack them up to store.

I use a double sided plastic storage box. It stores spools horizontally three spools per compartment. Capacity of 144 spools total in both sides of the box. I store most of my thread, lead, floss, wire, tinsel, v-rib etc. in this box. I actually won this plastic storage container in a raffle at one of the PAFF Fly Tying Jams held at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center a few years back.

a few boxes and a rack that holds 104 spools. a few bulk spools in a cabinet.

Attachments

• DSCF0518.JPG
    DSCF0518.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0519.JPG
    DSCF0519.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 1
spool boxes from feather craft

336.Jpg

$1.95 each

https://www.feather-craft.com/uni-spool-storage-boxes

Bob, that looks great!

nfrechet, I had looked at those but was hesitant. For the price, I guess you can't go wrong.

Back