Thoughts on the Neversink

D

DavidFin

Not a PA stream, but definitely one with history. I'm only familiar with the upper stretches of the Unique area. Always a lot of work but for some damn nice browns. I'm thinking about trying to position myself there for some big hatches this year.

The Neversink Gorge is a special place, but there are good places to fish all the way up to the dam, and one place that has become public above the dam (the old Camp Pines) where one can fish the gin clear waters more like the old days (its tough fishing though). In the tailwater areas below the dam NYS has been trying to switch to brookies from browns.

The Neversink generally has hatches a week or so earlier than the western Catskill streams, so it is a great place to catch the hendricksons first. I particularly like to fish the hendricksons in the gorge because they are an afternoon hatch that allows one to hike out before dark. Check this page:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?site_no=01436690
When it is 50F or more for most of the day it is time to head up.

Another good hatch is the olives. If you go to the middle of the gorge between the two waterfalls where it narrows (the place with the rock where the 1820's and 1830's tourists carved their names) it stays in the shade most of the day and the olives will hatch there if it is too bright elsewhere.

Im assuming you mean from Bridgeville down through the gorge. Temps get too high or can get too high ibln June so watch the temps. Dennis at Catskill flies put up daily reports on the river.

I've got 2 buddies that fish it regularly. He has hooked some very, very big fish. He's hooked what we assume is the same fish twice in 3 weeks. Same pool twice on 3x fluoro and got busted off both times.

4wd to access spots, water, flashlight, camera and let people know where you are. If you hike in a long way and break an ankle, nobody will find you for days or longer. Being in good physical shape is also necessary. Expect to see bears, rattlers and possibly a bobcat prowling the edges if you are quiet.

If I'm not mistaken, it also gets some decent caddis hatches, sulphurs and ISO hatches. You like rough country, miles of pocket water, solitude, opportunity for some unexpected BIG fish? It's all there for your use. Some sections contain leg breaking chunk rock wading. Not for the faint of heart.

Yep, Bridgeville down. Last time I was there the water was low enough to sort of access a far side riffle. Got into position (barely) and hooked a GIANT. Couldn't land him where I was, couldn't walk through the riffle with him. Luckily I was fishing barbless so I lost him. That fish really got me thinking.

But yea, it kicks my #censor# every time. Really want to be there for some hatches.

Don't forget your wading staff either. Plenty of water is essential, I take at least 2 liters. Remember that the walk out is uphill, which can be a tough one if you are tired and dehydrated. Ran short of water once down there and wouldn't do it again.

While in the Catskills last week, ventured to Unique Area with Mkerr and DaveS. Beautiful place. We chose to hit it just before the water temps got too high. It was a sunny day, 85 degrees and very high humidity. Hiked to the river and then.......walked about a mile downriver. We didn't do it by the trail but actually waded down about a mile and then fished our way back to entrance point. Leg breaking, ankle / knee twisting, splits where you bang your junk off a boulder and near blackout heat. Did I mention that Dave and I will not participate in such activities next time? LMAO. Wading staff, carry lots of water, be fit and expect to get your AZZ handed to you. Has to be worse wading than the Lehigh and that's saying something.

here's a few pics from the trip

Attachments

• 1 (9).JPG
    1 (9).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 1 (10).JPG
    1 (10).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1 (3).JPG
    1 (3).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 86
  • 1 (4).JPG
    1 (4).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 1 (5).JPG
    1 (5).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 1 (6).JPG
    1 (6).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 88
  • 1 (7).JPG
    1 (7).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 1 (8).JPG
    1 (8).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 1 (11).JPG
    1 (11).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 100
  • 1 (12).JPG
    1 (12).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 1 (1).JPG
    1 (1).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 99
The toad photo is superb.

Also good to know that there are still wood frogs around. I've been worrying about them- haven't seen one in many years.

I really hoped to see a rattler but came up empty. Getting to the fish is tough but if you hook a big one......you've got all kinds of problems. The stream bottom prohibits a foot chase. The 14" bow I landed jumped half a dozen times and had me around more boulders than I can count. They dart from one deep pocket to the next. I believe Mike had landed one around 22" which was a tremendous feat in my opinion. It's probably too warm to fish until late summer or a major rain event and I'd have no I interest heading back in after rain with higher flows. It could get dangerous real quick. Fish it alone, slip and break a leg and you're SOL.

Nice pictures. Never fished that area. Below the dam, yes, but not down there.

Definitely enjoyed fishing in the gorge. The wading is as tough as anyplace I have experienced. If you are up for so.e sore shins and a few bump...and maybee an unexpected swim, the neversink is a beautiful place to fish and not be crowded. The first day I fished there was a steady hatch of black caddis all day but very few fish rising. All the fish I caught were on nymphs. I will definitely be going back...might even drag Andy and Dave there again.

Conditions are good today. Morning water temp is 60F and it is in the 250 to 200 cfs range (on the Bridgeville USGS gauge) after being high from a rain. I find a cool rain gets the fish going and when the flow drops below 250 cfs and the temps are good the fish hit pretty well. Check the gauge though because temperatures can rise quickly from June until mid September.

When sun is an issue, walking to the narrowest part of the gorge helps since it will be in the shade most of the day. The middle is pretty much between the two waterfalls where the big rock with tourists' carving from the 1820's and 1830's are.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am curious about accessing the Unique Area from the southern end. I see parking and trails, but I am curious if it is also deadly wading or if the gorge is more... gorge-like... in the upper stretches compared to the lower stretches. Thanks.

I would say wading roughly the same. The walk-in is a little longer from the south-west parking lot. High Falls is not far upstream from where you reach the river and it goes through some ledgy stuff above the falls. The pools up to High Falls have been good to me. Plans were to make a walking bridge near High Falls to connect hiking trails on either side of the river, but I don't think that ever got done. Therefore, may need to wade across river to reach all spots. Part of the southern gorge is private property and the trails occasionally have some jeep traffic to the private camps.

Thanks, Jeff! Much appreciated.

My target is the pools before High Falls, in the first mile or so of the hike up from Eden Road. I imagine the group I'm spending the weekend with will be too hungover to hike as far in as the falls. Does it seem possible to hop around a few of those lower pools... without getting the less functional (or dysfunctional) waders of the group killed?

I see there is plenty of access in the area at regular road crossings, too, so I am keeping that in my back pocket as plan b.

Thanks again for the info,

Adam

Back