Thoughts on 4 wts.

He is a good caster but like I said it comes down to personal preference and style of fishing. I certainly learned a lot on Delaware about casting etc. But while the long down and across casts and feeding line etc. are useful overall, there are other ways to catch fish there in all sorts of conditions. My favorite is to take my time and carefully get as close as I can. Then make one cast and get them. This is often not done down and across bit by coming from behind. That said we both catch our fair share fishing the usual way on foot and in boats.

Me personally, I haven’t fished a trout stream/river in Pa where I thought I needed a rod larger than a 4 weight (unless I plan to fish streamers exclusively). Mainly because I like to switch it up between dry, nymph, streamer, wets, and my 8’6” 4wt H2 can handle it all pretty well.

Try casting a moderate fast action 4 weight compared to your soft action 8 footer and you’ll notice a pretty big difference.

I should experiment with the faster acton's. My friend has fished one that to me feels like a broomstick. It is a 4 he claims. He built the rod years ago. He is by far the best, accurate caster I have seen. From what I see in watching him the stiff rod allows him to mend liine in a big way . I ordered a Loomis light rod and they accidentally sent the stiff version. I sent it back but wish I had played around with it more. One thing you see a lot is people who are beautiful and graceful , long distance casters who don't catch fish.

I'm new to this whole Flyfishing thing. I find it is easy to be over-gunned.

Everyone has preferences for what type of rod works best for their fishing and casting style. But often the best way to approach fly-fishing is to be versatile.

While a shorter, slow-action rod may work well for trout in a smaller stream, a longer rod works for nymphing, a faster action heavier weight rod works best for streamers for trout or for smallies. Also for casting and fishing SW or muskie flies a fast action rod works best.

In other words choose the best tool for the job rather than be locked in using the same type of rod with respect to rod weight, length and action for all your fishing.

And most important, learn to cast each rod and use it to it's potential. Struggling all day to make your rod and tackle do something it wasn't designed for is not fun. Your enjoyment of fishing will increase using tackle best suited for that type of fishing and fish you pursue.

As I said, they are all a compromise.
An old timer that I knew and respected once told me that when you go to The Keys you need 7 rods to the man. The number of species of fish and their size dictated that number and size of rods. That included a fly rod 8 or 9 wt.
Your absolutely correct Afish . Your post should be a must read for beginners. It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.
GG

Some excellent observations here. As stated, it is important to spend time and experimentation with whatever rod you employ to understand the characteristics and reponse of the entire set-up, i.e., rod, reel, line, leader, tippet and fly, in order to extract your desired performance. The variables are limitless. As an example, I purchased two 9' 5wt S--- rods the same day. They are the same model with close ID#s but they feel different set up exactly the same. As a point, the comment about casting before purchase is very important.

I have a 7'6" 4WT that I use on a majority of the small streams I fish. It throws dries, streamers, and other flies quite well. If I'm not nymphing it's a great rod for small to small-medium streams. I haven't come across a fish yet that it hasn't been able handle.

Back