Thoughts on 4 wts.

M

MarkC

I have been contemplating buying a comfortable fishing true 4 wt. to fish mid-sized or larger rivers on light wind days. I’ve got an older softer 8’ 4 wt. which feels light on midsized rivers like the West Branch. Thinking about a 9’ Winston Pure, any thoughts?

Mark C

MarkC wrote:
I have been contemplating buying a comfortable fishing true 4 wt. to fish mid-sized or larger rivers on light wind days. I’ve got an older softer 8’ 4 wt. which feels light on midsized rivers like the West Branch. Thinking about a 9’ Winston Pure, any thoughts?

Mark C

You may want to consider a 9' 5wt for larger rivers.

Whatever brand or model, weight or length you choose, try to test cast as many possible before you make a decision to spend a lot of money. How many cars or trucks have you bought without test driving them?

You should absolutely love the rod to spend a good amount of money on it, and expect it to be you "fishing partner" for a long time.

I do like a 9’ 4 wt for smaller flies even on bigger water if conditions permit. I have two. A 2 piece and 4 piece should I be flying to a destination. ( and beside if you can justify two rods then you should, by God, have two.)
But in most cases, I have a five along too should wind be a factor. And I wonder if a 9’6” or 10 footer would be advantageous.
By all means, cast a few and be sure you find the rod you like best.

Agree with Afish. My 9'5wt is a TFO BVK.

My favorite and by far most used rod is an 8' 4 wt but it is only used on small/medium streams. I have used it on smaller Colorado tailwaters and grayling in Alaska but would never use it on WBDel, Lehigh, or any major western rivers.

IMO, a 4 wt is the most ideal rod weight for 90% of PA trout streams. YMMV.

My workhorse rod is an old Orvis HLS 8'6" 4 weight. Use it on all mid size PA streams
I switch up to a newer Echo 9' 5 weight for large water - Delaware and Yough rivers

Don't need a 5 wt on Delaware. Fished it for twenty plus yrs with a Winston 9 ft 4 wt. Better presentation and plenty of distance out of it. I have a nice 5 wt. I never fish it except occasionally for bass.

For what it is worth, my last guiPan River in Colorado. Threguidwere all rigged witded fly fishing trip was on the Frying e of us/one e. We

For what it is worth, my last guided fly fishing trip was on the Frying Pan River in Colorado. Three of us/one guide. We were all rigged with 9' 4 wt. rods nymph fishing with sight indicators.

Hello,

Might i suggest you consider a 10'-11' rod also.
For you application constricted to mid to larger size rivers, you should have room for a longer rod. This will give you several advantages on bigger water.
Enjoy it! Ive been using switch and spey rods now and love them.
What ever you get, if you are spending good money make sure you love the rod. You should enjoy fishing it.

While in Utah recently I noticed allot of small reels on very long rods. On weber(pronounced Weeber) river, where the trout are huge, I asked a guy about his rig. He said with this 10' 4wt setup he had better casting and he could also mend more effectively and when on small streams nymph more comfortably. That all sounds great but remember that there is a fraction of the brush and stream side obstructions along those Utah streams compared to what we have in PA.

disagree on the delaware. I use a 6wt and have no use for a 5 there. 90% plus is dry. Streamer is 7. For the couple hours a year I nymph its a 9'6 6wt that is kind of a weird rod. Granted I prefer slower rods. Most of the 6s I use are moderate action. If there is wind or im throwing big flies (10 or bigger) i use an RPL or GLX 6.

I use an 8'8 4 for tricos there if there is no wind. I have plenty of 904s but I really don't use them much on the delaware or anywhere for that matter.

I guess the moral of the story is it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you can cast far enough and get a good presentation.

It's not the rod weight it's the fisherman. IMO rods are like boats ,what one will do others can't. I cant fish "skinny water my 21 ft boat nor would I go 30 miles off shore in a flats boat.
All around for me is a 9ft. 5 wt. GG

The wind can be a real bear on the Big D in the spring.

If I didn't fish only dries, I would probably go with a 6 weight too. ( If I even had one)
But a 9 ' 5 weight still seems to be a nice compromise for me

GG do you ski behind your rod?

The wind is always uphill and brisk on the Delaware. Sometimes not so fun. It is a beautiful River though.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
It's not the rod weight it's the fisherman. IMO rods are like boats ,what one will do others can't. I cant fish "skinny water my 21 ft boat nor would I go 30 miles off shore in a flats boat.
All around for me is a 9ft. 5 wt. GG

If it's that windy I don't fish. Although I have seen days there where mayflies are being blown around and presentation or drag or whatever didn't matter. Overall my 4 just suits me. Lately I find that stalking closer and not trying for heroic casts puts more fish in the net. I can still vast far if I need to with the 4. My Winston is on the slower side and light in tip section. Honestly, it's like an old friend. I hope I never break it.

I can fish #20 dries fine on a 6, especially with a long leader. I'm talking a real 6 Though, something 9ft or less with no fighting butt that casts a true to weight 6 weight line. Not a 9'+ rod with a fighting butt that needs gpx or OBS to cast.

My first rod was a 6 wt I fished all over PA with it. Big and small streams. It worked fine. It's mainly preference.. my brother fishes a 3 WT on Delaware mostly. He has a 5 and it stays on the car.

I have numerous 9' #4's & #5's (and a couple 8' 6" too) I love a quality 9' #4 and if you have a clean line and your casting skills are good you should be able to throw 40' - 50' all day long in mild wind conditions, say up to 10 mph. But if you need to make 50' casts over and over I would strongly recommend a good 9' #5. Four weights are great but if it starts getting gusty or the wind is sustained at 15 mph, and higher, I find it difficult to properly cover rising fish.

There are likely dozens of good 9' #5 rods available but I personally enjoy casting my Orvis Recon. Lovely rod, very light, aesthetically very appealing, quality workmanship, nice cork, and one of the few rods still being made with a nice wood insert on the reel seat.

Landmark;

my brother fishes a 3 WT on Delaware mostly. He has a 5 and it stays on the car.

Your brother must be a heck of a skillful caster to prefer a #3 to a #5 on the Delaware often with stiff breezes to darn right windy and fly sizes from #10 - #22. Not to mention any streamer fishing or nymphing with BB's.

Back