This morning on Kish

dwa111

dwa111

Was on Kish this morning and ran into another fisherman. I was not very friendly and regret that. I got the crap kicked out of me for 2 hours and had enough falling over rocks. Anyway, just wanted to say that I wish I would had taken the flies you offered!

At least you see your error and make apology. Kish is exceptionally low right now and fishing is tough. I find it better in the evening since the cooler weather. Sometimes I stop and remind myself not to blame the trout, or others. By the way, what flies was he offering?

A small stonefly pattern. I did take his advice when I moved to a new spot and caught a 19 in rainbow on a pats. Glad I didn't give up.

Interesting, a small stonefly in July. No hatches on Kish now. Not even midges last night. Though the rough winged swallows were taking something off the surface at 8 pm, the trout were in the doldrums.
I have some success this time of year with a soft hackle snipe and purple. Maybe they take it for an ant or some other terrestrial. A small stone might get the same reaction.

But a 16 Grouse and Primrose is the best summer fly for me. What is a “pats”?

Pats worked pretty well in the fall when I got up here. Seems to do okay in the summer as well. I have a full box of them. Weighted, unweighted, beadheads.

Afish. Thanks for the video. Reminds me of the bitch creek. I recall now I saw a few big stones come off in the evening on Kish about a week ago after the weather cooled, so the Pat’s make sense.

David, did you fish a parachute ant dry or a soft hackle wet ant? Generally, those are safe bets on Kish from here though October or early November.

Tups wrote:
Afish. Thanks for the video. Reminds me of the bitch creek. I recall now I saw a few big stones come off in the evening on Kish about a week ago after the weather cooled, so the Pat’s make sense.

Just remember, they are fish. The Pat's doesn't have to represent ANYTHING in Kish at the present time or at anytime of the year to prove very effective. If the fish aren't keyed in on a particular hatch, then any attractive morsel might work. I fish with the OP often. He loves the Pat's and catches a good number of fish on them.

I tried ants a bit this week on Tea with no success. When temps are right on Kish I would like to get out with my 4 wt for wets and dries.

Back