They Exist. Early Christmas Present

B

Brown71

With much debate about the topic of 30" browns on here, I wanted to post this story/pic.

On Friday December 18, after good soaking rains on 12/17, my Dad and I went to one of my favorite big brown spots, one I have referenced on here several times on other big brown posts. It is a very small trib, that runs into a much larger body of water, and as I said before, year after year the big browns come here. You gotta a few times a week, most days you find none. And when they do come, they are in and out - quick! Making them very easy to miss. It has been a slow fall at this location to this point, I only ran into a few large ones here so far this fall, and only caught one other one, although it was nice at 26".

In the past, 1 of my 2 career non-great lake 30"+ browns came from this very place, and I have seen others that I have not caught in that range also, so there is always a chance here if you have the obsession and persistence t stick with it and keep going even though many days I walk a mile or two and come back empty handed.

Today was different. The water was just up enough that you couldn't really see in the deep, but was that perfect "fishing" color. I walked about 1/4 mile or so, not really getting into much other than a few strikes. I came to an area that in the past has held some of these larger moving fish, and in the riffle at the head of the pool, I caught wind of what looked like an extremely large fish moving in and out of the riffle. As stated before, vision wasn't perfect, but it was enough to know it was large, very large. I crept to a better location for casting, and began drifting. I have a lot of luck with single eggs in the fall and particularly in this type of water condition, and after only 2 or 3 drifts, I watched the fish swing from its invisible lair to the riffle where the egg was floating down, and whack, the float shot under. I set the hook and immediately knew this was a bigger fish than I even thought. Anti climatically though, the fight was very short, but good for me in that instead of going downstream where brush may have been an issue it took a quick run down that way then inexplicably turned, shot straight upstream beyond the riffle where it was hooked, and beached itself in the shallows. It jumped around but could not get back in the current, after only a 30 second or so fight, I walked up to it and slid it into the bank.

I was instantly stunned at its size, albeit spawned out, it still had some shoulders and was extremely long. I called my Dad who was a little above and he came down and we taped it - twice actually - it was right at 31", both times. It ended up my largest EVER non great lakes trout, and 3rd over 30" from PA non great lakes waters.

I hope some enjoyed this story, a little too long, but I tried to include some details. Notice the size of the stream.

Attachments

• 31 2015brown.JPG
    31 2015brown.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 25
  • 31 2015brown2.JPG
    31 2015brown2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
Impressive and you are persistent.....which often yeilds rewards. Great job and you win the 30" brown contest from last year. I managed a 26.5" but th ars as close as I got. I don't fish in the winter cuz I'm a wus but would take photos or film these shenanigans for ya (if parking is near by to stay warm in car). And yes, did you wade carefully to avoid damage to the redds?

Krayfish, thanks for the kind words man!!! And you are 100% correct, it is only persistence that we catch fish like this. We are blessed to be self employed, and have the time to pursue our passions. My Father and I go out 4-5 times a week in the fall/early winter, even if it is only an hour two in the late evening. It is much more just knowing where they are and going for them relentlessly, than it is skill catching them.

Thanks for the offer too, Ill keep that in mind.

And yes, we ABSOLUTLEY respect the redds, and in fact, they are super easy to see in this creek due to the color of the rocks for some reason. An amateur would see them here I do believe. And we don't fish any fish that are actively on them. That's part of the reason I only get 2 or 3 a fall out of there. I passed over a few on redds around Thanksgiving that were obscene, never threw a cast.

Congrats on your 26.5, that's a heck of a trout anywhere.

It was on a 7wt so massive skill wasn't involved. When it first rolled next to the boat, I thought I had a carp. It pulled my pontoon from one side of the river to the other side.

meh, there's plenty of skill there too, don't sell yourself short (OP not Kray ;-) )...I wouldn't know to throw a whatchamacallit egg to that fish, nice work, way to stay after it.

Wow - impressive.

Just curious, what color egg did you use/find work the best?

Excellent. Debate settled. Great work!

Just awesome! The thing that strikes me about catching that in a stream that size, is that it could be practically ANYWHERE in PA. We know there are large migratory browns in most of the large river systems. Which if you have a good imagination is a whole lotta tributaries that have just that slim potential of seeing a monster or two move in for a few days - excellent job finding one that THOSE run up!!

Congrats. Thats one big pig of a fish!

Thank you all for the kind words, its appreciated.

blauner334 - the eggs are the most natural color I can get, light orange, sometimes almost orangish-gold.

sarce - you are 100% correct! I have said it on here many times, there are a lot of places in this state with all the great water we have where fish and small runs like this exist. I fish two streams religiously on two different systems and these type of fish are possible on both. And I know for sure of a few others but they are a little to far to get to consistently.

The beauty of these types of spots are this - they aren't blabbed all over the internet. The locals know them and are good at keeping quiet. Though it is far from my area, I recall the thread on here last year sometime about huge browns coming up tribs to the Susky. Not known ones like YB and others, but tiny little streams flowing through woodlots and sometimes yards having runs of large browns.

My line of work takes me to different areas/homes, and believe it or not I have found out a lot of info because of it. Maybe some places Ill never even get to fish, but it's cool hearing what goes on at them. It still comes back to figuring out where there is some big ones, and then consistently hunting them. We give up a lot of days of perfect water where we could probably catch numbers of fish to have a shot at a couple big ones.

And one other bit of advice if you want to call it that I have found after many years of chasing big trout, if you have reason to THINK there are big browns present in a system/trib, there probably IS. Browns are a little of everywhere LOL. A lot of fisherman simply aren't out there when there is a legit chance to see these fish visibly.

That is a incredible fish. Congrats to you. WOW!

GenCon

Brown,
Thanks for sharing your adventures with the big browns, and congrats on your success. I look forward to your next report.
John

Wow. Incredible fish.

Geeze that fish is a monster! Congrats!

Wow that is impressive!

Just curious on a fish like this...I'm guessing its a stockie thats been in the water a very long time just like the one's in the great lake tribs?

I'm guessing not. I'm guessing it was born in a wild trib to a big river, then got big and fat in the river.

What Sasquatch said. I would guess 99% of the fish in this system at this time are wild.

That brings up an interesting topic. At what point do they start to lose their "wild" markings (red adipose, red spots, etc.)?

Congrats! Really a true trophy fish. GG

Back