The yough outflow and the didymo

B

Bearski

I fished the yough outflow for the first time ever yesterday evening. As a result, it was my first expereince with didymo. I did not catch or detect any fish. A few questions:

1.) I did have to battle with a lot of green gook getting hooked...was this rock snot?

2.) Has the fishing at the outflow been damaged by the rock snot?

3.) Are there smallies in the yough between the outflow and the confluence w/ the casselman?

Note that I am going to try and do a good job cleaning my boots and waders.

I am sure there are smallmouth between the outflow and Casselman mouth, but a greater amount can be found in the warmer water below the mouth and on the Somerset County side of the joined waters.

As for didymo, I don't think all the green algae is "rock snot." The majority of it has been there for years. It is an issue of fertility below the dam and shallow areas where light can penetrate to the substrate.

1. No that is not rock snot

2. refer to #1

3. I have caught plenty of smallmouth and even a perch in that stretch. The better smallmouth water is below Ohiopyle and all the way to the Mon river.

You should clean your boots up everytime you plan to change streams whether you believe didymo is present or not.

+1

Below the dams you find conditions the yield large algae blooms from time to time. It frequently makes fishing subsurface impossible or a PIA at best. Any disturbance upriver will send 100 pounds of that crap in your direction piece by piece. A few miles down, most has settled out and makes fishing easier. If they open up some gates, it will send an enormous flush of the slime down river and make fishing messy for a day or two. It's a price you pay to have cold stable flows. Frequently a huge problem on wb of Delaware

Thanks for that insight guys. Prior to this the only outflow Ive ever fished was the conemaugh outflow. The water in the conemaugh isnt as clear as the yough so that explains a lot.

When the algae is an issue, do you usually rely on dry flies?

I rely on dry flies even when algae is not an issue :cool:

Fish on top, move a couple of miles down river or fish a different river if it's really bad.

Check out this PFBC electroshock survey of the Yough in the stretch STARTING at the confluence of the Casselman and going downstream. Very impressive numbers and quality of smallies.

Back