The river has been a wash so whatcha doing?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Now the Juniata in my neck of the woods looks terrible and it rained EXTREMELY HARD yesterday in many places. I had to drive to Stone Valley and the rain that fell when I was over there was some of the hardest I've ever seen.

Yeah, Dave-Andy is correct--all on top. Andy knows how I like to fish. It's not for everyone. A lot of casting, not a ton of fish, but usually big ones. Kind of like our challenge last year. Andy and Tom caught a few more fish than we did, but no big ones, and we generally only caught big ones. We should do the challenge again this year if the water ever stabilizes again, but much further upstream, like Liverpool.

I'm not sure Tom will go with me again. LoL. If not, I'll watch Dave stone cat the bejesus out of you and Fred

krayfish2 wrote:
I'll watch Dave stone cat the bejesus out of you and Fred

"stonecat the bejesus...."

I like the sound of that. :lol:

This really has been a frustrating year for river bassin - only been out on the Susky once this summer.

The way the forecast looks, we may have to keep punting on the big river for awhile, especially for wade fishing.

I know it's bad when I'm forced to fish for trout but it is what it is so make the most of it. This small stream gave up a welcomed surprise today.
https://flic.kr/p/28HwX2S

Looks like the river will top 250,000 again this week. This has been amazing but in a bad way. Probably the least I've fished out there in 6-7 years. It appears we will be getting a huge slug of water from WB Susky and from the Endicott / Binghamton area. Should take 12-15 days to pass through and start to drop (Harrisburg area). So.... hopefully have decent conditions return by early September.

What's amazed me is the red color this year. Did the high water expose a huge clay bank somewhere or is there construction runoff coming in from Sunbury area? The clarity has been horrible this year.

krayfish2 wrote:

What's amazed me is the red color this year. The clarity has been horrible this year.

I've wondered about this too.

The lower Juniata has exhibited the same problem. In normal years, as water levels drop, clarity quickly returns (or returns for half the river channel around Dauphin). In fact, you usually get back clarity well before median flow rates. This year, for some reason, has been different: levels drop but clarity does not return.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is simply the large amount of flooding over agricultural landscape has just pulled an enormous amount of sediment into the watersheds.

krayfish2 wrote:
I'm not sure Tom will go with me again. LoL. If not, I'll watch Dave stone cat the bejesus out of you and Fred

Bring it !!!!!!!!! me and the cowboy with leave you in the back eddy

BTW I still owe you and Tom some beer . I always honor my debts .

Fredrick wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:

Bring it !!!!!!!!! me and the cowboy with leave you in the back eddy

BTW I still owe you and Tom some beer . I always honor my debts .

I would just be happy to see the River in good shape for fishing....

Attachments

• 4fredrick.jpg
    4fredrick.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1
Warm water temps on the Western side of PA, carp season is in full swing.

Attachments

• carp 9.jpg
    carp 9.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1
  • carp 10.jpg
    carp 10.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3
  • carp7.jpg
    carp7.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 3
Maybe part of the reason the river’s been so brown....https://www.timesleader.com/news/715386/ny-plant-released-35m-gallons-of-untreated-waste-into-susquehanna

Ew. How is this legal? And furthermore, how is it legal not tell PA municipalities when Binghamton is literally just across the border? Obviously it’s going to affect PA municipalities.

One of the things that often happens with these municipal systems (and to a lesser extent with private entities with discharges) is that they operate under nearly interminable consent decrees where the courts have given them grace and time and exempts them from immediate upgrades to ensure compliance so long as they fix the thing by date certain as specified by the courts.

This was originally intended as a way of "working with the offender" to ensure a fix without (allegedly) bankrupting them. Often though, the offender keeps going back to court to get "date certain" extended and the thing hangs in limbo for years and years.

This (in addition to the ongoing construction) may be part of what is going on with the city of Binghamton.

Yeah, saw that the other day. 100+ hours of pumping turd into the river. Nice job Binghamton.

The levels are getting better and it's clearing up a bit each day... I'm guessing the Susky will be fishing really nice by the end of the week. Stoked!

Fished it this weekend with spinning gear. It was a little bit too high and muddy but the bass were still willing.

Checked the river today at Wrightsville. The level was fine for fishing and the water was clear along that shoreline.

I drive along the river at least two times per day. The levels have finally dropped to what you'd expect in early June. The clarity has greatly improved as well. Finally appears to be settled down for the season and back closer to normal levels. Hoping for a good finish to the season. Running a couple of guide trips and taking the nephew out between Friday and Monday. Expect it to fish well.

Back