The Red Fox Squirrel Nymph Video

JerryCoviello

JerryCoviello

Materials:
HOOK: 2XL Nymph hook sizes 8 to 16
TAIL: Small Tuff of guard hairs from the back of the squirrel hide and half the length of the shank of the hook
ABDOMEN: Belly fur from red fox squirrel skin mixed 50/50 with tan Antron or Dave Whitlock SLF Dubbing - #1 Abdomen should be 1/2 to 2/3 of the overall body length
RIBBING: Gold Oval Tinsel
THORAX: Back fur from red fox squirrel skin mixed 50/50 with charcoal Antron dubbing
LEGS: Partridge flank feather
WEIGHT: Wire (lead free) 8 to 10 wraps. Wire thickness about the thickness of the hook wire
Red Fox Squirrel Nymph was designed by Dave Whitlock using the materials he had available. This nymph is tied in the round, so no wingcase is used, so it looks the same from top to bottom, and side to side.
Dave Whitlock used a Red Fox Squirrel fur. The belly on a red fox squirrel is an orange color while the back is dark brown to grey. The guard hairs make the tail. There is not much belly fur on a Red Fox Squirrel hide so Dave came up with his own Squirrel blends and one of them is the Squirrel Spikey Dubbing in various colors especially Squirrel Belly.

An oldie but goodie!

I remember the article in FF Magazine - probably mid-80s? - where Whitlock promoted this fly and it included a photo of a well used RFSN revealing the "halo effect" that made the fly more and more effective as it got scruffier.

Deadly nymph and a reason I always want to have some fox squirrel hide in my fly tying kit.

Very nice fly and video too. :cool:

The "in the round"/no wing case thing is interesting in the sense that if you read Whitlock's chapter in "The Masters On The Nymph", he ties and illustrates it along side the text with a (I think..) mottled turkey wing case. This has always been my go-to generic nymph. There really isn't any way to tie it that doesn't catch fish. With or without wing case or a bead and sometimes on a scud hook. Probably the only nymph I've caught more trout on is a simple muskrat blob nymph...

RLeep2 wrote:
Probably the only nymph I've caught more trout on is a simple muskrat blob nymph...

You should name that the "Bob's Blob" fly.

>>You should name that the "Bob's Blob" fly.>>

That would be great. Then, I could be famous like Walt...:)

Or I could put a bead on it and use two shades of muskrat fur and call it Bob's Beadhead Bivisible Blob..

Alliteration sells, baby!

Back