The real challenge

Acristickid

Acristickid

T9npPmR.jpg

Or not... ;-)

Yeah - it happens quick.

Not too long ago, I could tie a #28 fly with no magnification at all.
Now, it's a struggle even with my prescription glasses

Cataract Surgery. More Magnification. Fish with younger anglers, ones with good eyes. GG

Eye doctor told me I have "baby" cataracts.
Looking at that surgery down the road I guess

I'll never forget the day, or should I say evening I realized I needed magnification…

I was fishing the Sulphur hatch on the Letort and couldn’t thread a size 16 dry fly. I had previously invested in a brighter light figuring it was a low light thing but that made NO difference.

After trying for what seemed like forever with fish rising all over the place, I loudly proclaimed to my fishing partner, “I figured it out, I’m blind!”

The next day I went to Cold Spring Anglers, bought Flip Focals and never looked back or fished without them except now I use Hat Eyes instead.

Dear acristickid,

I'm on my second set of progressive lens and while I am much better at tying on a fly, there are still plenty of times when I go old school.

I push my glasses down on my nose, bring the fly and tippet right up to the end of my nose, and the whole thing becomes crystal clear.

But then I have the problem of tying the knot and seeing what I am doing. If anyone has a solution for that I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I can tie the knot with my eyes closed. It's threading it through that ever shrinking and blurry eye. Like Murph, my second round of progressives have helped greatly but I still get a small sense of relief when I know I'm trying on a big bugger.

Hooks with larger eyes. Size 16 tdLe old fart special. GG

https://www.orvis.com/p/big-eye-hook-in-straight-eye-style/4641
I'll take a dozen Sulfurs. GG

I wore glasses all my life. I've had no problem close or far even into my late 60s. Last Spring I had cataract surgery. Now I can see 20/20 without glasses but not up close, and need readers which I always forget. Even a size 10 can be a challenge. Note to self: put readers in gear bag.

salvelinus wrote:
I wore glasses all my life. I've had no problem close or far even into my late 60s. Last Spring I had cataract surgery. Now I can see 20/20 without glasses but not up close, and need readers which I always forget. Even a size 10 can be a challenge. Note to self: put readers in gear bag.

i have readers in my gear bag, but ,i carry a fresnel lens in my wallet, just i case.

Just a couple of years ago I could tie on any hook without aid at all. I am near sighted and have worn glasses since the age of 12 but they were not needed for close work. That has changed and quickly. My next birthday I will be 60. I can no longer focus up close to tie on the really small hooks ie. 22-28. I have a pair of Flip Focals I bought to remedy this and I also started using Orvis Big Eye hooks for those smaller sizes. Problem solved.

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear acristickid,

I'm on my second set of progressive lens and while I am much better at tying on a fly, there are still plenty of times when I go old school.

I push my glasses down on my nose, bring the fly and tippet right up to the end of my nose, and the whole thing becomes crystal clear.

But then I have the problem of tying the knot and seeing what I am doing. If anyone has a solution for that I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

This!!!

Tim Murphy,
There is a lady who has a video on YouTube showing how to tie a fly on your tippet using forceps to help make it easier. Video is: How to tie on a fly fast. Video is by Deborah Mance. Look it up, it may help. Worked for me. Hope that helps.

coyoterahn wrote:
Tim Murphy,
There is a lady who has a video on YouTube showing how to tie a fly on your tippet using forceps to help make it easier. Video is: How to tie on a fly fast. Video is by Deborah Mance. Look it up, it may help. Worked for me. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Years ago a buddy from here on the board showed me how to tie a fly on with forceps. It was cool at the time but I quickly forgot about it because I could see well.

I will definitely check out this video and save it.

Regards,

Flippers on the hat are the key, but easy to loose the pin. Hit me around 40. In fact, I was fishing with the Kid when I realized I was having real trouble threading a small one. Probably Yellow Creek.
I think I asked Paul if he could help and he laughed and waded away.
Good times!

Bamboozle wrote:
I'll never forget the day, or should I say evening I realized I needed magnification…

I was fishing the Sulphur hatch on the Letort and couldn’t thread a size 16 dry fly. I had previously invested in a brighter light figuring it was a low light thing but that made NO difference.

After trying for what seemed like forever with fish rising all over the place, I loudly proclaimed to my fishing partner, “I figured it out, I’m blind!”

The next day I went to Cold Spring Anglers, bought Flip Focals and never looked back or fished without them except now I use Hat Eyes instead.

For me it was exactly the same except it was Penns Creek at the Jamboree. Has to quit at dusk when I broke off a nice fish. 10 years ago at 47 when my vision fell off a cliff.

Now I have prescription bifocals, Prescription bifocal polarized sunglasses(amber) and flip focals. That will never happen again.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be but tremors in both hands is worse. They started about 15 years ago and are getting progressively worse. Tying knots is the pits. I've experimented and have found a couple of methods that help. I have to make big loops in which to put the tag end through, and I use a lot of tippet so the tag ends are long. Finally I hold the fly with forceps to help get a grip.

I always get out of the water when changing a fly. Lost too many standing in the water with shaky hands.

Back