The Potential of the Lehigh River

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
From an article posted by allen _s:

allan_s wrote:
Plenty of room for boats on the Lehigh, plus its predicted to be BETTER than the D.

https://special.readingeagle.com/can-the-lehigh-river-become-a-great-big-water-wild-trout-fishery-a-group-of-fishermen-thinks-so/?fbclid=IwAR3OSJi_csvE4BZZiyud-5QQglhNU-JqmmixoQ1RV2f-WmyAvMlnQ2uRiqU

^ Very nice article.

The Lehigh is a diamond in the rough, no doubt (and not the black diamond mining that nearly destroyed it).

If the FEW dam was retrofitted to release water a multiple levels and the releases were made to sustain cold water through the summer period, the Lehigh would become a first class wild trout fishery.

Not the bug factory like the Delaware River is, but much better access along some really breathtaking scenery that many people believe they need to go out-west to find. It's right here in PA!

Every angler that appreciates great trout fishing and every citizen that values clean water and additional recreational opportunities should support the Lehigh River proposal made by Lehigh Coldwater Fishery Alliance.

Have the costs of dam modification (construction) and annual maintenance been revised recently? What are the estimates? Given that it is tax time, do you think that the average US taxpayer would be willing to foot that bill solely to create a better fishery, a fishery that is not just limited by availability of cold water, but also by access? By fishery, I am referring to the classic definition, which requires both a fish population and angler use of the population.

Mike wrote:
Have the costs of dam modification (construction) and annual maintenance been revised recently? What are the estimates? Given that it is tax time, do you think that the average US taxpayer would be willing to foot that bill solely to create a better fishery, a fishery that is not just limited by availability of cold water, but also by access? By fishery, I am referring to the classic definition, which requires both a fish population and angler use of the population.

No doubt many challenges. Here is a long thread from a while back discussing both the challenges and opportunities > Lehigh River Proposal

Mike,

What you and the PFBC fail to realize is that the river is already a good trout fishery in spite of warm water releases. Wild trout are found throughout it's length. Unlike the mush bellies that come out of a stocking truck which sit and perish when temperatures rise, the wild fish move to thermal refuge and survive. A very small change in the management of releases will make a big difference.

As for hatches, don't kid yourself into thinking there aren't many or the density is poor. While it may not rival the Upper Delaware in sheer number of insects (not many places do), it's impressed me on a regular basis.

One thing that is dramatically different than the D.... amount / level of fast water. I'm thinking some guys will show up with boats and leave with broken boats. Worse yet, serious injuries by guys in over their heads for rowing difficulty. If you venture down the gorge, you better understand the flows.

I am quite willing to accept that the river's proponents and anglers feel that it is a good fishery. I was specifically addressing the cost of creating a BETTER fishery. I also expressed concerns about poor access, which limits use/users and thus the economic value of a fishery. That's an important consideration when spending big bucks, especially taxpayer bucks.

Aren't there already 10-12 existing ramps? No additional expenses.

Manage water better. Again, no additional cost.

And you still don't believe there's wild fish in the river because a biologist shocked a 30' section of the river once and didn't find a fish, hence the states position that it's a walleye river.

I can tell you that last year, averaged 14.5" - 15" per fish caught. Yes, there are stockies mixed in but that's because of the groups that just keep planting fish. A couple of guys on here know the river far better than I do and they have more data / photo evidence. I know one guide that's been on the river since late December and he hasn't put a fish under 18.5" - 19" in the net since New Year's Day. That's covering 20+ miles of river. It's better than you think ....already. Open mouths of feeders for fish passage /spawning and a minor tweak to releases (and no drought) could really expose the river's full potential.

Bike trails also provide miles of access.

In terms of accessibility, think Penns (although the river valley at Penns is broader and easier to walk). The mostly rails to trails only accessibility of the gorge section of the Lehigh is one of the reasons it has such potential. That, along with the depth and current flow, make it difficult to pound to death.

There are multiple cold water feeder streams, including the Po at Parryvile below Lehighton. These can augment any improved summer FEW releases. They are also nurseries for trout reproduction, especially if that silt catcher on the Po at Parryville is removed.

In theory, that gives us maybe 30 miles of cold water fishery to enjoy. Based on the health of the trout I've caught there, I'd say the food base is excellent.

This is a myopic viewpoint. It does not consider the reduction of the pool at FEW due to white water recreation releases and other potentially conflicting interests.

"It does not consider the reduction of the pool at FEW due to white water recreation releases and other potentially conflicting interests."

This^^^^^^^

We run out of cold water when needed most. Selfishly I wish that the rafting would go away. Regrettably,aint gonna happen.

Also the dam is managed as Flood Control Dam. It can hold the equivalent of 2 hurricane Agnes's (which in reality is 4 hurricanes). Need to get congress and ACE to change purpose and thus ability raise pool level. This would cost nothing but political capital. The higher pool level would enable longer and greater cold water storage for releases. The need to enhance the discharge gate(s) would be eliminated.

Other help would be greater enforcement and management of construction permits on properties above the dam. Way too much runoff into dam. Though this topic is for another day.

I fish the Lehigh a fair bit, but still have ways to go on understanding the river.

If I understand correctly they've been stocking browns, rainbows and brookies the last couple of years? The LRSA does this correct? I pulled out a stocked brookie last year in the gorge and was a little confused...

Do they still stock fingerlings? I think the most beneficial thing for those stocking the Lehigh is to completely stop stocking full sized browns - let the native brown thrive for a couple years. Stock brown trout fingerlings instead. Continue to stock rainbows for those that will fill a stringer with them, and cease stocking brookies (do they compete with wild browns??). Mix that into better flows from managing the water better and I think the river would be set. There are holdovers spawning in the river too if I've heard correctly as well.

I've seen photos of some of the massive breeders in the river though from some of the guides that know the river quite well. I've even lost a few of those big ones myself. I'll agree with others as well - I consistently catch 12 inch+ fish on a regular basis, many of them wild.

Side note - anyone know where the hell the fish go in the early spring when the flows are reallllly low? I got skunked awhile back in typical places where I always pull fish out of.

The state stocks from outflow down for around 5 miles. 5 mile high club stocks from Glen Okono upriver 5 miles or so. LRSA does from around Jim Thorpe to Northampton which is about 24 miles of river. Putting 2000 fish in a section that long means they are typically spread thin because they are dumped in at the big access points.

Many of the feeders through the gorge hold wild brookies so catching one in the main river is common during cooler water times. It's also possible that you got a stocker that drifted down from miles above where PFBC stocks mush bellies.

Brad,

PAFBC stocks mostly Browns and Rainbows though a few brookies are thrown in early in year. If you check the stringers early on you will see predominantly rainbows and brookies. When things get a bit tougher and the garden hackle crowd turns their interest to turkeys, you will find alot of the browns left for you to enjoy. Also I think the PAFBC stocks a disproportionate number of browns in their later stockings. The stocked brookie you caught in the gorge probably made its way down the river from upstream stockings or similarly down from one of the stocked feeders ie hickory run, mud run, drakes creek etc.

LRSA Stocks also but mostly from Glen Onoko (Above Jim Thorpe) and downstream. They stock alot of slammers too.

PAFBC tried to stock fingerling browns a few years ago but I dont think that project faired very well, for a number of reasons. Too much to go into here but available online.

The river is an odd bird for a tail water fishery. Contrary to what is norm, the further downstream you go the better it gets. The first 8-10 miles here is pretty much a stocked trout fishery.

Where do fish go in low water? My theory is that they head to deeper water, riffles or places with overhead cover to avoid the many avian predators, or just to get out of sunlight. YMMV Did you try when sun got behind Mts and shadows provide a bit of cover. I know it gets cold down there when sun is off water!!!

Ah that's helpful - thanks guys.

I really need to stray farther downstream from the gorge..seems like below the gorge it's obviously preferable to have a drift boat/raft and that wade fishing isn't the best option for covering a lot of water. Once again need to explore a bit (and check out some of those spots that you told me about Tigereye!)

Mike

To address your questions on money. The last time we talked to the ACOE cost for construction, depending on the specific scenario ACOE would implement, but any construction would range from 500M to close to 1B, give or take.

If you do the construction, and are able to keep 25-30 miles of river cold enough for trout all summer, the question becomes what is the return on investment.

Trout Unlimited estimates that 1 mile of tailwater trout fishery can bring in a million dollars to the local economy. So do your math and we are talking potentially a $30 million dollar a year fishery., if managed properly. Then you need to add on the whitewater rafting revenue too, which is already around $30-40 million a year. Which also would be improved by modifications at FEW. How much? I don't know but some rafting companies estimate it would double their annual revenue.

So, we could be talking about a $50 to 100 Million a year investment. Does that make it worth doing the construction? All this would not be outsourced either, it stays here.

The Feasibility Study that needs to be fully funded will determine construction costs, as well as other things.

As for access, this river is more accessible than any river I know of in the U.S. It has a very long Rail to Trail system from White Haven down to Walnutport which is being expanded every year. There are a number of good boat ramps already in place. The banks of the river are mostly open to the public and not privately owned, unlike the Upper D. I really don't think you can have a more accessible river. Access will not be a limiting factor for this fishery.

I think all other comments are spot on. The river has tremendous potential and its already a fairly decent fishery despite the handicaps.

Dean

500 million to a billion dollars, WOW.

Is that to build a new dam?

Timmy,

Yes, basically. That is the pie in the sky scenario. They would raise the dam breast, acquire land, move roads, new tower, etc. 1B might be a bit high, but these were just numbers the ACOE was throwing around. Won't really know until the Feasibility Study is done. The lowest possible solution I heard was around 100M. So who knows, it depends on who you talk to at the ACOE.

There was a study done in the 1980s with modifications that would have cost around $50-65 M. So do the math for inflation to current times and that might be your current day cost.

What do the rafting people have to say about a year round cold water release and how far downriver will the colder water actually penetrate? The sun and air heat it up like a stretched out garden hose.

Blueheron - The high mountains/cliff walls keep the water pretty cool in the gorge area - the air temperature difference is quite noticeable when the sun dips behind them.

The DRBC has approved funds for the feasibility study. The other party that is very interested in funding the non federal cost share portion is NYC! That is the word on the street. Non-federal portion is $1.5mm.

https://www.state.nj.us/drbc/library/documents/ResForMinutes031319_FEWalterReevalStudy.pdf

Keep NYC out of it no matter what!

Back