The Potential of the Lehigh River

one of the best parts about a wild trout fishery is trout are not limited to bucket dumping sites. You’re absolutely right about anglers not wanting to “do the work” but that’s what makes it rewarding for anglers that do.

I addressed that previously in #22 and #23. As a little background, I’m an avid cyclist, an advocate for bike paths and rail trails, having ridden literally thousands of miles on those in Europe and the US, and an avid angler. I have strong doubts that enough anglers are willing “to do the work.”
I have no problem with people not doing the legwork, pardon the pun, lol!
As far as I’m concerned, the Lehigh is fine just like it is.
No beef with you, Mike

There was another thread about this a while back. Seemed there was an advocacy group ( LRSA?) that was actually successful in getting a hearing or study conducted regarding the nature of the dam releases but it happened right before Covid so I guess it stalled. I think NYC was involved too- which I suppose makes some folks squirrelly but could still be a net positive. The money required for something like this ain’t coming from anyone who doesn’t have ulterior motives at this point.

Anybody know what happened? Did they ever resume?

I think it's the cold water alliance that was working with NYC and FUDR to get the study done. Covid brought that to a halt. Not sure what future plans are. I'm going off of rumors or things I've heard. Can't confirm or deny.

While cold water would be beneficial, releases in general help with the river health. 450 cfs release of 70° water is better than 100 cfs of 58° water IMHO. The river continues to impress and improve. It's well known that there are wild browns and I'm really beginning to question wild rainbows being in there. A lot harder to tell when you're getting a holdover versus a wild but more and more little guys are popping up

I think it's the cold water alliance that was working with NYC and FUDR to get the study done. Covid brought that to a halt. Not sure what future plans are. I'm going off of rumors or things I've heard. Can't confirm or deny.

While cold water would be beneficial, releases in general help with the river health. 450 cfs release of 70° water is better than 100 cfs of 58° water IMHO. The river continues to impress and improve. It's well known that there are wild browns and I'm really beginning to question wild rainbows being in there. A lot harder to tell when you're getting a holdover versus a wild but more and more little guys are popping up

I just wish they’d stop stocking it altogether and see what happens. It’s really too big and gnarly to wade fish for most of the year, and in terms of a drift fishery- all that gear and fanfare to chase mushmouths just seems like a hilarious waste of resources.

It’s clubs stocking it too right? I’m probably over reacting, but I just really hate even the possibility of catching stocked fish in rivers where wild fish can be successful.

The cold water release would be most effective for summer drought conditions.. I agree with 70 degrees at 400+ cfs over 58 and 100cfs but with the warm water release all it takes is 1 drought in the summer where we get 100cfs at 75 degrees+ to set the river back some years

State, LRSA and 5 mile high club stock. You get very low quality pellet heads up high from the state. Don't really fish the section 5 mile high stocks but believe they are adding decent looking fish. Most of what LRSA stocks are nice looking. They even have fins and stuff 🤣. The amount they stock would be equivalent to spreading out 2000-2500 trout in 35 river miles of the Juniata (big J)

I think the water quality has been slowly improving and the ACOE has been much better about dewatering the river. Those two things alone are helping the fish and insect life. While it may not have the diversity of the Delaware, the hatches it does have are strong. I am baffled by the limited caddis numbers. Stones are usually an indicator of water quality and they are in there in modest numbers. Always thought that system should be a factory for caddis and stoneflies.

I agree with Nock that the river is not very wadeable most of the spring. If the flow is low enough, it's a young man's game. During my floats, most stocked fish caught look great. The fight is the dead giveaway. The wild fish in there will GO HARD and test your gear.

It's already a very nice / interesting fishery and you have to wonder what it could be with better flows and colder water. I'd also point out that it's what it is with zero special fishing regulations.

Back