THE OFFICIAL 5TH ANNUAL STEELHEAD JAM - Nov 8-10, 2013

Farmerdave, GG, moose, and myself had a tough day on upper elk, no crowds though. We are heading to the avonia tavern shortly!

See yin guys at daylight!

Sorry to hear that Biker, be safe travelling back. I landed 1 and lost 2, Patrick had a nice 1 on but lost it, and Dan caught a nice wild rainbow. From the looks of things it should pick up tomorrow and Sunday.
We had a nice turnout for a Friday, see everyone in the morning

Looks like I'll be able to make it up for some fishing tomorrow afternoon. Are you guys mainly going to stick around Folly's or just use that as a meeting point and go from there?

If you see someone with breathable waders, a Fishpond waist pack, and either a camo or a dark blue jacket say hi(though a lot of people may fit that description lol). My brother will probably tag along..

I had one on but lost it, farmer had a couple hook-ups. the water remained pretty stained throughout the day, most folks we talked to agreed it was the snowmelt from upstream(around 4 inches north of edinboro)
That combined with the cooling effect of the snowmelt might have been what put the fish off.
otherwise, it was a great day with great people, the bonus being the wings and ribs at the avonia.
back home now, you guys should have some good days coming up. I'll probably try to get back up there in a week or so.

Hey all, had a great time. Didn't catch my first steelhead but I now have a good idea of how I'm supposed to catch them.

Was nice to meet everyone, and at a minimum, i have a shiny new PAFF sticker on the back of my car now...

Saturday was really good. Friday was just a stinker. There will be better days ahead Dan.

Patrick,

Agreed. Did you have any luck after lunch down there?

And thanks again for the leader set-up and the tutorial. I really appreciate it and it was exciting to see Norm catch his first steelhead...

Does Folly's generally allow parking at the campground if you are not camping there? Or did you guys have permission to park there because of the Jam?

MrMustard,

Just from what I saw these 2 days, there were a number of random people that were parked there, and I think as long as you respect their wishes and not park on the right hand side, you are OK to park on the hill that leads into the campground.

To go further into the campground (left or right at the bottom of the hill), it seems that you need to be registered with them, per the signs that were up.

I just got back from Erie with TimRobinson. We fished Monday and and faced tough conditions. PatrickC joined us Tuesday and we faced equally tough fishing. Fished Elk, Sixteen Mile, and Twentymile. Water temped 38 +/- which we surmised had a big part to do with the lack of activity. I landed my first steelie on Elk Monday and another one on Sixteenmile Tuesday. Foul hooked two as well, but I don't count them. Fish were not moving much and you had to put the fly right in their zone. Egg patterns were the ticket. Had a tough time finding pods of fish as well. This was my first trip to Erie and despite the tougher-than-normal conditions, I will be back!

Observations: Teresa's pizza is insane, Erie weather is crazy, the wings are good at that Avonia Tavern, and getting moved in on while fishing really does happen. Catch one fish and the people just come rolling in...

DSCN1235_zps7845ed07.jpg

My first steelie. Not a 'slab', but I'll take it!

DSCN1258_zps489cc36e.jpg

PatrickC at the mouth of Twentymile on his way to the lake...

My they have really been busy building down at the mouth of 20 mile :lol:

On my way home. Had a greAt time! Pictures and commentary later.GG

I pulled out of Folly's on Friday late afternoon and saw a vehicle in front of me with Florida License plates and a PAFF sticker on the window,wonder who that could have been.....

I resemble that remark. Will get a wrapup together to post

That's kinda funny, I think he was talking to GG but in the back of my mind, I remembered you also had a Florida plate, so not sure which one he saw....

Sorry I missed the fun. This Jam is a great testament to what kind and quality of companionship can be developed by this Forum. I hope I can make it up 'ere next year!

Where are the pics guys ?

DanVerona wrote:
That's kinda funny, I think he was talking to GG but in the back of my mind, I remembered you also had a Florida plate, so not sure which one he saw....

Couldn't have been Gulf. He flew up. We were in a vehicle with NY plates that day.

Back