The Mono Rig

In Fly Fishing Only (FFO) sections here in PA, there was (or still is) a requirement that leaders be about 17 feet or less.

Is this rule still in effect? If so, be careful with your mono rig if you fish FFO waters as I would imagine that a mono rig could be construed as a continuous leader. Any insight on this matter?

I understand everyones defintion of flyfishing is different and the topic itself is subjective. I also understand continuous improvement we all feel is necessary these days like the mono rig minimizing drag and unnecessary weight on the flies. I also realize it's all about catching more fish for some but i just feel good about keeping some of the principles of fly-fishing intact and figuring out ways to overcome the challenges of actual fly-fishing. I truly believe actual fly-fishing involves a flyrod, fly reel, fly line and leader. Call me old fashioned i guess. Again im not hating on anyone who fishes any other way but is it really fly-fishing?

mcwillja wrote:
I understand everyones defintion of flyfishing is different and the topic itself is subjective. I also understand continuous improvement we all feel is necessary these days like the mono rig minimizing drag and unnecessary weight on the flies. I also realize it's all about catching more fish for some but i just feel good about keeping some of the principles of fly-fishing intact and figuring out ways to overcome the challenges of actual fly-fishing. I truly believe actual fly-fishing involves a flyrod, fly reel, fly line and leader. Call me old fashioned i guess. Again im not hating on anyone who fishes any other way but is it really fly-fishing?

Is fishing multi-articulated streamers "fly" fishing?

And on that point, would using a fly rod, fly line, fly leader, and a rapala be fly fishing?

Dave_W wrote:
In Fly Fishing Only (FFO) sections here in PA, there was (or still is) a requirement that leaders be about 17 feet or less.

Is this rule still in effect? If so, be careful with your mono rig if you fish FFO waters as I would imagine that a mono rig could be construed as a continuous leader. Any insight on this matter?

You're correct. Not sure on the exact length but, yes, you need to be careful if you plan on fishing FFO.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
Dave_W wrote:

You're correct. Not sure on the exact length but, yes, you need to be careful if you plan on fishing FFO.

In an attempt to open up another large can of worms, I fish Tenkara, (the other despised by purists, "non-fly-fishing", fly-fishing method) with level lines which are essentially nothing more than a long length of fluorocarbon fishing line. Some of my level lines are in excess of 18 feet.

I have discussed the method at length with both PFBC Law Enforcement and WCO's I have encountered and at least with Tenkara, the method is considered to be within the spirit of fly fishing and legal in Pennsylvania FFO sections according to law enforcement.

As a result, I fish MANY FFO stretches (mainly to **** off the purists) but I keep a copy of my correspondence with the PFBC on the matter handy in the event I encounter a WCO who interprets things differently.

If I was inclined to fish mono rigs on FFO waters in PA, I would contact the PFBC Bureau of Law Enforcement via e-mail and specifically address the issue and keep a copy of that reply.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling mono rigs are fine in PA and also within the spirit of fly-fishing since the “18 foot” rule seems to be more of an arbitrary number and an attempt to exclude other tackle versus tactics.

If I am right, you too can ****-off the purists at a FFO near you!!!

If I am wrong, call Glade Squires and ask him to change the rules.

Bamboozle wrote:
Dave_W wrote:

In an attempt to open up another large can of worms, I fish Tenkara, (the other despised by purists, "non-fly-fishing", fly-fishing method) with level lines which are essentially nothing more than a long length of fluorocarbon fishing line. Some of my level lines are in excess of 18 feet.

I have discussed the method at length with both PFBC Law Enforcement and WCO's I have encountered and at least with Tenkara, the method is considered to be within the spirit of fly fishing and legal in Pennsylvania FFO sections according to law enforcement.

As a result, I fish MANY FFO stretches (mainly to **** off the purists) but I keep a copy of my correspondence with the PFBC on the matter handy in the event I encounter a WCO who interprets things differently.

If I was inclined to fish mono rigs on FFO waters in PA, I would contact the PFBC Bureau of Law Enforcement via e-mail and specifically address the issue and keep a copy of that reply.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling mono rigs are fine in PA and also within the spirit of fly-fishing since the “18 foot” rule seems to be more of an arbitrary number and an attempt to exclude other tackle versus tactics.

If I am right, you too can ****-off the purists at a FFO near you!!!

If I am wrong, call Glade Squires and ask him to change the rules.

LOL! I love it.

mcwillja wrote:

And on that point, would using a fly rod, fly line, fly leader, and a rapala be fly fishing?

Lets not make this more complicated than it needs to be. Common sense answers both those questions. of course fishing multi-articulated streamers is fly fishing and of course fishing a rapala is not. To me i thought i didn't have to state the obvious that a fly of some kind had to be on the terminal end.

mcwillja wrote:
mcwillja wrote:

Lets not make this more complicated than it needs to be. Common sense answers both those questions. of course fishing multi-articulated streamers is fly fishing and of course fishing a rapala is not. To me i thought i didn't have to state the obvious that a fly of some kind had to be on the terminal end.

You are a very serious person in life aren't you?

BTW.. not everyone thinks streamer fishing., especially articulated streamers, is fly fishing.

haha no the only point i was trying to make is that a lot of people seem to be moving away from traditional fly-fishing techniques to get an edge on catching more fish. I understand that but at some point we can't call it flyfishing anymore. I personally don't really care but i enjoy trying to solve the problem of drag using a flyline leader and some type of hand tied fly. I guess im just too old school. I archery hunt with a recurve bow so maybe that explains it. Streamer fishing is absolutely flyfishing.

mcwillja wrote:
haha no the only point i was trying to make is that a lot of people seem to be moving away from traditional fly-fishing techniques to get an edge on catching more fish.

I think you mean going back to traditional methods. Reels and shooting line are recent innovations in the history of the sport.

Streamer are lures, and as such would get you thrown off many fly-only waters in England. (And yet they still consider 2/0 salmon flies to be flies. Go figure.)

In reality, any of this only matters in terms what the rules/laws are in fly-fishing only waters. A fish doesn't care how it's caught, and in the words of Jame Leisenring, "We both fish for out pleasure, you for yours and I for mine."

I really don't think streamers are lures and most are tied with the same materials flies are tied with. Streamer fishing is absolutely fly-fishing in my opinion. Flyfishing in England is a totally different beast. You can only fish upstream to a rising fish using a dryfly, im not a purist by any means. I think that is crazy and their is more to flyfishing than that.

To me, "fly" fishing in its purist form, would be using a "fly" as the means of catching fish. As in a pattern that is tied to mimic / resemble an aquatic insect (fly). A streamer is tied to resemble a baitfish, I don't see how a baitfish pattern could be considered a "fly". Just my opinion, and yes, I fish with streamers, dry flies, wet flys, nymphs with a mono rig, and all other means, but the common denominator between all of them is I always have a fly rod in my hands. Whether its "fly" fishing or not, I really don't care, I just use whatever method I feel like using giving the conditions of the stream at the time. This "is it fly fishing" conversation, is just a conversation, and that's it.

We all have philosophies and preferences but you gotta go by the jurisdiction you're fishing in. What are the regs in the state you're fishing in, or the water you're on?

KeithS wrote:
We all have philosophies and preferences but you gotta go by the jurisdiction you're fishing in. What are the regs in the state you're fishing in, or the water you're on?

Its obvious that you have to follow the rules and regs, because after all, they are the rules and regs.
But after all, all rules and regs are is someone elses philosophy.

And if that was a direct question, there are none concerning the water I fish. (regarding fly fishing)

Dead, dead horses, we'll flog them someday.

(With apologies to the Rolling Stones.)

dry flies - fly fishing
wet flies - fly fishing
swinging streamers - fly fishing
dry dropper - fly fishing less so than above
nymphs with normal fly line and normal length leader - fly fishing less so than above
streamers with fish skull heads - fly fishing less so than above
mono rig - weird, not fly fishing
tenkara - weird, not fly fishing, unamerican
centerpin - not fly fishing, a sin, should be punishable by death
spinners, spoons on spinning gear - not fly fishing, for people without enough money to buy fly gear
bait - not fly fishing, for poor people

ABOVE IS A JOKE

If centerpinners use flies i can't call that fly-fishing. A fly on the end of a spinning rod is not flyfishing either. I think this has been beat to death lol.

And if that was a direct question, there are none concerning the water I fish. (regarding fly fishing)

It wasn't directed at anyone.
My point is, fish in a way that's legal, if that method fits your philosophy. If not, don't bash someone else's legal methods.

KeithS wrote:

It wasn't directed at anyone.
My point is, fish in a way that's legal, if that method fits your philosophy. If not, don't bash someone else's legal methods.

Agree, but just to point out, I don't think anyone was doing any bashing on this thread, just sharing there own beliefs/preferences.

(edit: except bashing on centerpinners, and tenkara users..thats allowed.) :lol:

Also agree i haven't seen any bashing whatsoever. I even made it a point to say i don't care what technique anyone uses to catch fish but just saying there should be a cutoff point somewhere where the term flyfishing isn't really being employed as the means of fishing. That is all. It's my own opinion whether im wrong or right.

Back