THE MIND OF A FOOL!

M

maxima12

As of 2017, 49 million people fish in the usa. Ages 6 to 12 very higher than 13 to 17. If a child has not fished by age 12, it is unlikely he or she will fish later in life! Fact! That is why I preach youth!

Hispanic fishing on the rise. Women fishing is targeted by all the major companies like Orvis and Patagonia. One problem though. 37 percent of women are discriminated in the fly fishing world, by you got it men. Perhaps, let me share. 1 women guide to 90 male guides!

You want wild trout and impose catch and release projects all through the state, your reach is just little bitty, until you understand the full impact of fishing. Fly fishermen on the rise at about 14 percent of total fisherman. With that being your 24 or older and of a higher money value than the rest. And don't forget your presence decreases dramatically at the age of 44. I know you want to rant and rage over Maxima 12 claim! Blow your horn, a little plastic noisemaker. Your not me and most likely few will follow.

Well you got your agenda and I have mine. I prefer a youth and women involvement, with stocking fish. The young one's said> fishing with friends and family# 1 and catching fish #2
Naturally, I go with youth and speed cause I am tired of having to stop for all the old to catch up.

If you don't get it, shame on you!
Maxima12

Now, follow this, I have a lot more!

Shame on you, shame on me for letting you get away with it for all these years.

Maxima12

Hey! Why not shut this one down and put a close, like you did to Frank Trout Angler. I liked the Spruce Creek story. We finally were getting somewhere. Slate Run and Francis Branch , Like it . Don't forget Trout Run, the Cushman and Slider and all you have not seen and also Cedar Run and the Minehole.

Love it all, till death brings ne joy!

Maxima12

What in the Sam Hill is going on here?

Letort, kind of figured you jump in. Not a whole lot, just opening some eyes,

Your pal!

Maxima12

Whats my purpose, 49 million, I want 72 million to fish. Simple as that!

Maxima12

You say Letort Angler, I say Fox, Shires, Koch, Schenk, Marinaro and Jorgenson!

Maxima12

I'm 59 yrs old and things seem pretty good as far as trout fishing from my perspective. Now if you are talking the environment overall then I think we need to do better there.

Lark, love ya man! Straight up on that! I will bring that to view!

Maxima12

“Letort, kind of figured you jump in. Not a whole lot, just opening some eyes,

Your pal!”

Cool, cool.

I get where you’re coming from, and agree we should be getting the youth more involved.
However, where exactly did you find that statistic of 37% women (guides) being discriminated against? Ive personally never heard or seen any prejudicial treatment of such here in PA or even abroad.

Some of my favorite personalities in the sport are women like April Vokey and Joan Wulff.

Maxi, I get what you are preaching, but I think you gotta go with a bigger congregation.
Skinny here now adays. Not many kids or women folk to bring into the fold.

You got some solid vision, but it sounds like AB on press
Day.

You got me on this number 12?

And leave the stale FTA stuff outta the gospel.

Life is short, fishins for fun.

Have some.

Word to yo motha

maxima12 wrote:
Whats my purpose, 49 million, I want 72 million to fish. Simple as that!

Maxima12

Combat Fishing on the rise. More chuckin and duckin on Elk. No closed season,no bag limit, Anarchy Rules? More litter,less responsibility. I'm a minimalist. GG

JackM drinks a lot too, but JackM lacks maxima12's skills at oratory.

I think when he said discrimination against women that he meant the figures and numbers between male and female in the fishing scene is drastically different with females being predominantly underrated.

That is fine, all things are not and will not be "equal." Call me sexist right now but I bet if we took a poll of 100 women and 100 men that yes, we would indeed find more men interested in angling. I don't believe that that has to do with anything other than thousands of years of evolutionary roles and actual biological body design. Yes, there are women that love to fish. My girlfriend was exposed to angling at a young age as her father took her fishing. Yes, she still likes to catfish in the river with me, but a more active form of fishing she wants no part of. She would much rather get her hair done or something and that is fine.

There are definitely less anglers than there once was but is that totally a bad thing? That should mean more open water for those of us that do love this hobby. I realize that means less money going to game commission, fish and boat, but that is just the way it is. People would rather play video games or do something else. Times they are a'changin'.

On a side note I fell in love with fishing as a kid because of catching bluegill, largemouth bass, and channel catfish from a farm pond just down the road from where I grew up. And then my cousin's husband took me to the Juniata using "stonecats" and boy, that was fun. And I've been fascinated forever. I read tons of books on fish, wanted to fish all of the time, I was like an addict. So, I don't think that we need stocked trout and more of them to encourage people to fish. I didn't start really caring about trout until about 10 years ago because I loved bass fishing.

Take a kid to a farm pond or local lake with a bobber and some works, maggots, etc and that should do the trick..

I'm all for supporting growth of fishing in general and fly fishing in particular but you have to watch what you wish for.

Going from 46 million to 72 million fishermen and women is a 46% increase. If fly fishermen account for 14% of the total then fly fishermen population goes from 6.8 million to 10 million.

You think streams are crowded now. They aren't making new streams after all.

How is the growth of fishing going to help anyone? More isn't always better.

Are the streams crowded now? And here I'm playing devil's advocate because I don't care if more people start fishing..I'm fine with things how they are. But, the only streams that are crowded around here are the famous streams like spring, Penns, Little J, etc. Sure I've seen lots of guys when I go to Big Spring or the Breeches too but there are other streams that I prefer a whole lot more where 99% of the year I see basically no one.

It would be nice if we all had time and the patience to get people started fly fishing but life always gets in the way. Most of us have very little time to fish and personally I fish alone to get away from hassles. Maybe Mad Max can tell us about his getting youth and women involved in fishing.

maxima12 wrote:

Well you got your agenda and I have mine. I prefer a youth and women involvement, with stocking fish.

And you think that we are against those things?

Why would you think that?

I've never seen anyone on here arguing against youth and women fishing.

And there have been VERY few people on here who have advocated ending the trout stocking program.

Many people on here, probably a majority, favor shifting hatchery trout away from wild and native trout streams and towards other waters.

But that is not advocating ending or even reducing the hatchery trout program. It's advocating better management which would increase the total number of trout (wild + stocked) in the streams.

Back