The little pond doesn't like fly's!!!

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

With the recent rains making the local streams high and murky\muddy, I've spent several days at a local pond that is stocked with trout.

Now, I've tossed out dry flies as the fish rise and at times jump completely out of the water. I've gotten a few rolls...but no takers. I've tossed tiny size 22's to large Wollybuggers, to streamers and darn near everything in between!! I get nothing.

I've fished beside guys who, using a Berkley "Trout" worm on a spinning rod and watched them take 20 trout outta the pond The trout's most favorite color is white followed by pink and on occasion green. I've tossed out my "Squirmy Wormy" fly's of all colors.....NADA!! Joe's fly's seem to work fairly well and of course, live bait but I don't use live bait. There must be a dozen "put back" trout dead from being gut hooked. But that's how it goes.

So...the pond has beat me into submission and the next time the "itch" to fish arises, I'll be taking my spinning rod and....as soon as the arrive from Amazon....the Berkley trout worm....plus some Joe's flys.

Now, I've tied up some Chironomid's ...but they are still in my fly box. Haven't tried 'em. So...at this point I'm patiently waiting for the stream waters to lower and get less murky......but if you have any ideas on what type of fly make work.....I'm all ears!!! (White Buggers don't work either)

I too have a local "pond" to knock the rust off. I prefer to just chase large bluegills this time of year but my first two casts of a foam spider produced aggressive takes by stocked Brook trout. I wasn't falling for that old trick. I continued to chase the 'Gills.

I don't normally fish stocked ponds. I've done it a couple of times up in Vermont. I did catch one on an AB Spider. Thought I had hooked a big smallmouth. Another day I had gone out to fish a local river but it was blown out. On my way to the river, I noticed a stocking truck on one of the boat ramps. On my way back, I stopped to give it a shot. The trout were still hanging around the ramp. I tried all my various trout flies, no luck. I tied on a white Estaz bug.
Estaz bug

It's an easy fly to tie.
Hook- size 6 2XL straight eye streamer hook, Daiichi 2461 is a good hook for it.
Tail- white marabou with a couple of pieces of flash tied on the sides
Weight- 3 or 4 wraps of lead wire on the center of the shank
Body- Pearl Eztaz Grande, wrapped and then trimmed to a grub shape
Basically I'm trying to imitate a Mr. Twister grub
They were all over it. I quit counting at 50. Ended up taking three home for dinner because they swallowed the fly.
I've also caught bass, panfish and carp on it.

JerryC, that's a potential pattern. I can't stop "hitting my head against the wall" so I tied up a pattern that I haven't tried yet. Two slightly different grubs. Just white thread underbody over some lead in the middle. Micro clear tubing, then two different white hackles. One showing dark rib and the other just white. It seems if I get too far away from a plain rubber worm it's like I'm tossing them a rock.

TxBRe1Tl.jpg
VemzG0Ll.jpg

I don't normally fish stocked ponds. I've done it a couple of times up in Vermont. I did catch one on an AB Spider. Thought I had hooked a big smallmouth. Another day I had gone out to fish a local river but it was blown out. On my way to the river, I noticed a stocking truck on one of the boat ramps. On my way back, I stopped to give it a shot. The trout were still hanging around the ramp. I tried all my various trout flies, no luck. I tied on a white Estaz bug.
View attachment 1641225113
It's an easy fly to tie.
Hook- size 6 2XL straight eye streamer hook, Daiichi 2461 is a good hook for it.
They were all over it. I quit counting at 50. Ended up taking three home for dinner because they swallowed the fly.
That's a great looking fly. Reminds me a lot of a bugger without the hackle around it. I think I have some tying to go do...

Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 1641225113
It's an easy fly to tie.
Yo Jerr - that looks a lot like a modern tech version of Shenk's Minnow. Looks like your pattern is a whole lot easier to tie.

Yo Jerr - that looks a lot like a modern tech version of Shenk's Minnow. Looks like your pattern is a whole lot easier to tie.
That's one of my first warm water flies. I'd probably hadn't heard of Shenk's minnow back then. I think there's also a Lefty Kreh fly that's similar. There aren't a lot of new patterns, just variations of old ones. It's been sitting idle in my box for the last couple of years since I mainly fish top water, both for trout and warm water. I've got a bunch size 6 hooks to use up, so I'll add a dozen new ones to try this year and see how it goes.

Back