The Fly Stop

im not a tyer but hope to be one day when i have the time and space to do so. that being said, there is a seller of flies on ebay that auctions a bunch of very high quality flies every week. i buy from the seller pretty regularly because i enjoy the auction process and with regularity i end up buying what i consider really well tied flies at pretty low prices. think they do it one week dries, one week nymphs, and one week bead head nymphs. im all for supporting local fly shops and try to do so when i can....i just dont do it by paying $2-$3 per fly for pheasant tails and parachute adams.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kjflyfish81/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Yup...they are pretty good. I've ordered off of them. Here's another reputable Ebayer with high quality flies albeit limited selection:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dry-Fly-Baetis-Thorax-Sz16-1Dz-USA-Whiting-Farms-Hardline-Dub-Daiichii/323813631448?hash=item4b64cbe5d8:g:2TkAAOSwVDRc5LMG

Unless the shop is very small, most flies sold by the majority of fly shops are tied in foreign countries. The quality varies depending on the quality control being enforced. That being said, even those flies are of good quality. It boils down to buyer beware just like anything else.

The fly shop that I frequent the post is the Evening Hatch in White Haven, PA. There are almost always two guys in there who are constantly tying flies when I am in there.

I doubt that they tie every fly that they sell. I like the fly shop and am a regular customer.

I do not fish with a fly I didn’t tie. Support you local fly shop before they are all gone. Contact your local TU chapter for lessons. We have classes every winter. That is where I received my education. I spend my winter evenings tying flies for the new year. I inventory my boxes and make a list. This will keep your interest. Even if you first attempts are not acceptable, keep them as a reminder as you gain experience and improve as you progress. Tying flies is more enjoyable than anything on television.

I just ordered a boat load of streamers from the Fly Stop...we'll see how they look quality wise next week. If I need bulk dry flies for a spontaneous trip I'll buy them online and have them delivered quickly. I will buy a handful of dry flies from local shops occasionally, although I hate dishing out $3+ for a fly. I have run into the issue that local shops will be out of exactly what I'm looking for from time to time (aka what is hatching) and I've had to make do with what is in my box.

I tie about everything I fish except for complex streamers (I do tie sculpins and double buggers, but when I can buy a streamer for $3-$6 at the Fly Stop vs. spending 30 minutes on one...I'm buying every time. Plus when I snag up or lose a streamer I spent 30+ minutes on, I won't be too happy at all). Love tying nymphs since I can customize size and weight fairly easily for my needs. I don't tie anything super complex with regards to dry flies, most just comparaduns. I also don't feel like beginning to invest in quality hackles just yet. I really only tie BWOs, stimulators, Sulphurs and caddis at the moment. But once my boxes run dry from the patterns I've bought over the years, I will be tackling more dry fly tying.

I've been tying since the late 80's. It's rare that I buy flies except to use as templates. I'm generally a DIY guy.

Having said that, I find certain tasks are better outsourced. I know how to change the oil in my car. Is it worth the time, effort and mess for me to do that? no.

Inexpensive, decent quality fies are a tempting thing to outsource. The caveat: local fly shops have "hot patterns" that their fish respond to.

The only flies I buy are Boogle Bug poppers. Tying your own flies produces better results on the water. You can modify patterns to more effectively mimic the local flies or critters-i.e. some sulfurs are a bit orange rather than yellow, others are a bit white. You can stick an egg-sac on the back of a mahogany parachute when flies are laying eggs-you won't see many of those up for sale.

I understand what everyone is is saying about fly tying your own flies. One of my first bosses was a fly fisherman and was really into it. He tied his own flies and fished with an Orvis Madison bamboo fly rod. I know that that fly rod has been discontinued for a long time.

He told me that he really felt like accomplished something when he caught a trout on one of Pennsylvania's difficult lime stoners on a fly he tied.

He ended up abruptly giving up fly fishing when he caught the bug to play golf.

I tie most of my flies, but I buy LARGE streamers from Flystop and they hold up just fine. Big Y has been very inconsistent for me. Again I'm buying streamers or patterns I don't enjoy tying. Sometimes Big Y's tyers use what ever materials they have on hand rather than what the pattern calls for. They can look completely different from order to order.

Very pleased with my streamer order from the Fly Stop. All patterns look exactly as they were pictured and meant to be tied. The material quality looks pretty good too. Shipping was quite fast. Now to see if they catch fish this fall!

I have been buying flies (and other equipment) from BigY for about 5 years now. Over the years I have had some flies fall apart after a few fish, but no big deal to me. Customer service is great and I have received orders in 3 days. This year I had the privilege to help as a guide at The Doc Fritchie TU Chapter Handicapped Veteran's Day and BigY was gracious enough to donate 400 flies for this event!

I tie the basic nymphs and streamers and usually buy dries from whichever local shop is near where I'm fishing....especially if there's folks in the shop tying. I recently bought flies from Bruce at Penns Ceeek Angler and had my best couple days fishing on top there...was it necessarily his flies?? I'm sure it helped as he handed me 4 patterns and said...you'll catch lots on these the next few days. Plus they didn't fall apart...I caught at least 10 on one of them...

Anglersdream.net
I've only been fly fishing seriously for 5 years. I get most my flies from here. Never had an issue with any fly coming apart after a few fish.
I support local shops with other purchases like boots, jackets, waders etc. and the local hot fly I can't get.

There is a guy on reddit and NAFF that does charity boxes, the streamer and stone one is $75 and the "Miracle XL" which is like 130 50/50 dry/wet for $100. I can post a picture later they're pretty incredible and fish very well too.

My mission this winter is to learn to tie. I'm pretty excited because I really like the entomology side of things too, always have since I was a kid.

drakeking412 wrote:
My mission this winter is to learn to tie. I'm pretty excited because I really like the entomology side of things too, always have since I was a kid.

Tying is easy. You can invent flies. You feel a greater satisfaction from catching a fish on a fly that you tied and especially on a pattern that you conceived. You save money in the long run. I only buy flies when I feel I have to. I had never heard of the fly stop but I just checked it out. It's okay. I'm more inclined to buy dries since I rarely fish them and have mess materials. With that said, however, I have everything I need to tie most of my favorite dries I use most often.

If not, that's on the angler!

True that...still trying to improve my streamer fishing...couple dozen good patterns in the most productive colors should help!

Bruce at Penn's Creek Angler in Weikert ties some lovely flies. Usually pop in to ask him what's good on top and buy a few. Still have yet to fish his 3 wooly buggers in a row combo that he's suggested to me a few times now...

drakeking412 wrote:
There is a guy on reddit and NAFF that does charity boxes, the streamer and stone one is $75 and the "Miracle XL" which is like 130 50/50 dry/wet for $100. I can post a picture later they're pretty incredible and fish very well too.

Nice!

Just a heads up, in the Burg area at the Galleria, the Orivs store runs free beginner fly tying classes. They usually start beginning in January and run through February.

Good luck.

Wonderful thing about "tying your own". It is a never ending Journey. The journey starts with the first step and ends with the first step. Always the beginning of a new beginning!

Back