The Diversity of Movement Behavior in Individual Brook Trout

Thanks for the additional info Silverfox. I tend to think there has to be some positive correlation too. The direction of the correlation is interesting to ponder too. Do bigger fish genetics associate them with moving more, or are they bigger because they’ve moved. Or both.

The biggest wild (non-limestoner) Brookies I’ve caught, and seen caught, all were in either in relatively big water (for Brookies), or had access to relatively big water.

troutbert wrote:

The dam on Kettle Creek at Ole Bull State Park is a barrier to brookie movement also.

With all the dams being removed, it's interesting that these dams impacting our native fish are still there.

From a logistic and design perspective, I think the Ole Bull dam could be removed fairly easily with limited need for grade control structures or channel restoration.

It is possible a significant grade feature already existed at or very close to the location of the Worlds End dam, but to remove it and restore fish passage, it would take a significant engineered effort imo. The amount of bed load movement in the Loyalsock watershed and the significant pinch with the narrow bedrock "canyon" walls would present some challenges that would make it an expensive project imo.

Swattie87 wrote:
Thanks for the additional info Silverfox. I tend to think there has to be some positive correlation too. The direction of the correlation is interesting to ponder too. Do bigger fish genetics associate them with moving more, or are they bigger because they’ve moved. Or both.

The biggest wild (non-limestoner) Brookies I’ve caught, and seen caught, all were in either in relatively big water (for Brookies), or had access to relatively big water.

It is interesting. The general understanding on the Savage is the fish size is dictated by the mainstem almost exclusively. That's the study I mentioned before (Kazyak, D.C., and R.H. Hilderbrand).

IF the fish could utilize the mainstem year-round, it would increase the max fish size in the system. All other things considered. The only limiting factor is thermal.

It's the same reason the fish in the north are so much bigger. They have access to big water year-round. It's why the biggest fish in Maine are in the ponds (or when they have access to them), big rivers, not the brooks. Our latitude/climate mostly limits year-round habitat use in those systems, but that's not to say that thermal anomalies (groundwater influenced refuge) throughout our state (or region) don't result in exceptions.

From my general observations while angling, larger fish have always came from systems that either had robust macroinvertebrate populations or the stream was tributary to a stream with a quality forage base. Some of our more infertile high gradient streams have strong populations number wise, but the size has been off in my experience. Perhaps I have discounted the importance of connectivity to larger water in my past thoughts. I know there are some on this forum that have noted catching very large brook trout in impaired stream sections that allow for very little competition from other fish species.

I believe that some would be me likely, i dont ever remember anyone else making this claim. Noticing a long term trend here as many have now refered to me as someone or some. :lol:

There are other factors and observations i have about migrating brook and brown trout needs, similarly and differences.

Some trends that go beyond the scope of just limited competition from impaired water and interconnection of tribs and larger water when referencing brook trout.

Many i wont mention here as it is one of the things that is fun in figuring them out.

Interesting enough though ill mention one. One is dams. The need for them and the need for them to gone depending on location.

Because of brown trout not all dams are bad.

Two other additional points White made last night that I forgot to mention (these were both responding to audience questions):

-The costs involved.
-The matter of Southern Appalachian strain STs.

Many of us have long felt that we need more telemetry work on wild trout in PA (and WW species too, IMO). She mentioned that the individual transmitters were (I think) about $75 each. She reported the tracking hardware (I think) was in the range of $20K.
(I would assume that much of the tracking equipment is re-usable and I'd expect the costs to come down in the future?)

Regarding southern STs, White was of the opinion that those fish are already adapting to climate change. She was not in favor of introducing that strain to PA (this was the gist of the question).

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I believe that some would be me likely, i dont ever remember anyone else making this claim. Noticing a long term trend here as many have now refered to me as someone or some. :lol:

There are other factors and observations i have about migrating brook and brown trout needs, similarly and differences.

Some trends that go beyond the scope of just limited competition from impaired water and interconnection of tribs and larger water when referencing brook trout.

Many i wont mention here as it is one of the things that is fun in figuring them out.

Interesting enough though ill mention one. One is dams. The need for them and the need for them to gone depending on location.

Because of brown trout not all dams are bad.

He who shall not be named. :-D :hammer: :hammer:

:lol: ;-)

Its hard to remember who posts what, although the brook trout pictures will not be forgotten.

You will be remembered moving forward salvelinus!

That was a joke i hope you know, made me laugh anyways. :lol:

Speaking of what you just posted.....

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
That was a joke i hope you know, made me laugh anyways. :lol:

Speaking of what you just posted.....

I would give a thumbs up but this platform does not have that ability.

Sorry I missed the presentation. Good recap from everyone. Thanks.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
"One other big takeaway from the presentation is the diversity in populations in regard to movement. Shannon mentioned Big Run and Monroe Run and how the genetic diversity didn't match that of the Loyalsock study. There are no barriers between Big Run and Monroe, yet the genetic makeup didn't indicate that there is a lot of gene flow between the two. I think that highlights how different watersheds behave and illuminates the dangers of managing by interpretation of results from one watershed or even one region to another."

This point is of the most importance, how do we as anglers encourage the PFBC take this data and relate it to other parts of the state? IMO what occurs on the Loyalsock is probably similar to other NCPA watersheds ie Pine Creek, Lycoming Creek, Kettle Creek, Sinnemahoning, West Branch Susquehanna above Williamsport etc, that have brook trout streams directly tributary to a larger system.

I think her genetic work is key, and if perhaps that sets an example that could be replicated throughout the state at a relatively low cost to determine which streams are showing genetic connectivity and thus movement. Once movement corridors are identified, then becomes the challenge of determining whether fishing regulations can be used to further protect or enhance the "movers" in a watershed.

One key factor not discussed in her presentation is the presence of a substantial barrier in the dam at Worlds End SP. I would find it difficult for fish to even make it down over this dam without injury and any upriver migration would be entirely impossible.

I meant to respond to that point earlier and got sidetracked. This isn't based on Shannon's research, but my own observations. I personally don't think that we can even assume that watersheds within the same region behave the same.

Given your name/location, I'm sure you've fished a lot of the streams off the SE of the WB above Williamsport. As I'm sure you've encountered, and like you said elsewhere, some of these streams have impressive numbers of small fish. I've fished there myself and can attest that there is an upper size limit on those streams that is usually pretty small. They all have unimpeded connectivity to larger systems, but that hasn't resulted in a population of big fish.

So with regard to fish size being impacted by access to large water, I think that's not always the case.

This is my opinion only. I think the type and characteristics of the larger water is important. The WB is a good example. Whether it's the effect of Moshannon or the character of the WB itself, or maybe the species that inhabit that portion of the river, I don't think those tribs that connect directly to the WB behave the same as the ones that connect to the sock. You're probably right about Pine, Kettle and Sinnemahoning though.

Even with those named rivers, there are probably places along them that do have an impact and other places that don't. IMO, it's streams of a certain size/character where all of this comes together.

I have to plug MD DNR again here. I think it's important to keep in mind that what MD did on the Upper Savage River is vastly different than anything that was done in PA or even most of the NE. They proved that C&R regs on a large system (100+ miles of interconnected waters) does have a positive impact on population size and max fish size (as well as population resiliency).

"Annual brook trout population monitoring has indicated that the upper Savage River supports a stable population even with the normal environmentally driven annual fluctuations. Furthermore, compared to pooled sites open to harvest by anglers (2 fish per day, no closed season) from around the state, the upper Savage River has maintained statistically significant greater brook trout densities for each year of monitoring following the regulation change"

I know there are some folks who seem to think that C&R regs will have no impact, but there's proof that it can and will. The bottom line is that "we" should be pursuing a multipronged approach to brook trout conservation using every tool in the box rather than kicking the can and hoping for the best.

troutbert wrote:

The dam on Kettle Creek at Ole Bull State Park is a barrier to brookie movement also.

With all the dams being removed, it's interesting that these dams impacting our native fish are still there.

Just to note (refreshed my memory because I was just there this past weekend), there is a fish ladder at the Ole Bull dam. Right now, the swimming area is drawn down, the ladder sections are removed and the flow is all through the left side, pretty much unimpeded. When I was there Labor Day in 2015, and the pool level was up, the ladder was in place. But it certainly seemed passable (I'm not a fish passage expert though, and I sometimes think fish passage experts aren't so much either). I thought I had taken some pictures of it tha Labor Day weekend but I can't find them. But here's what it looks like in winter:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5w8oEFH3DvTUPXkM6

Clearly, it was installed pre-DCNR days, so it must have been there for at least 25 years.

Back