The biggest jerk I've ever met

krayfish2

krayfish2

In August of 2005, Kramer the fishing dog came into my life. Today he went to his final resting place. After severe arthritis in his lower back began to smash his spinal cord making walking difficult. For 2 months, I haven't slept through the night due to his pacing, panting and crying from the discomfort. After one final float trip, some steaks, grilled chicken, ice cream and visiting old friends, I've had to say goodbye to the worst dog and the best friend I could have ever wished for. The first picture is his first day with me.... the last picture is me holding him outside the vets office this morning.

What a jerk and I would change a second of it. See you on the other side buddy.

Attachments

• kramer (1).jpg
    kramer (1).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 126
  • kramer (7).JPG
    kramer (7).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 70
  • kramer (3).JPG
    kramer (3).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 66
  • kramer (4).jpg
    kramer (4).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 64
  • kramer (6).JPG
    kramer (6).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 64
  • kramer (2).jpg
    kramer (2).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
  • kramer (5).jpg
    kramer (5).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 90
Kray

So very sorry for your loss.

Dave

I have a tear in my eye.

He lived a good life.

Sorry for your loss, Andy.

That's a tough day to get through, sorry

I had to go thru that agony last May when my best friend "Mollie" crossed the Rainbow Bridge.Sorry for your loss,I know what your feeling!

I'm sorry to hear Andy. Great dog, that got to live a great dog's life. A lot of wonderful memories I'm sure.

I was afraid the last time we fished together, I might not see him again. So I spent an extra few moments scratching he ear, before I headed home.

Deeply sorry for your loss brother.

I'm truly, truly sorry for your loss. Sounds like you two made some good memories together.

Condolences.
It's a huge punch in the gut and the end of a fishing era.

I remember one time up at the hotel in Hancock watching Kramer runing around. I asked you if he was a trained bird dog...and you just laughed. Fun times.

A sad day on PAFF.

Dave,,

He used to roam up and down the porch of the motel and meet the fishermen as they came back at the end of the day. He also pointed at rising fish.... which is kinda like hunting. LoL.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Nice going giving him a good home and fun days along the streams - many dogs can just wish for either of those.

krayfish2 wrote:
He also pointed at rising fish.... which is kinda like hunting. LoL.

Yeah, Benny used to do that too.

Fish dogs - gotta love 'em (and really miss 'em).

My condolences, Kray.

I've been in your shoes before and your tribute to Kramer brought me back there. It's sure tough to lose a dog.

Once again, I am so sorry Andy. Sounds like he was quite the pup and you gave him a terrific life.

Chris

Kray,

I echo the above sentiments -- am sorry for your loss. I believe many dogs are better than many people, and it sounds like Kramer was one of the good ones. Sounds like he was a good "bud." I know you will cherish your memories.

Sorry for your loss dude.......My Sophie is on her "last legs"... Had a stroke about 2 weeks ago.....Rushed her to the Vet. and got her on some meds., but she can't climb steps so she's living in the TV room and has to go out in the front yard to do her business..( have an acre fenced in out back, but there are some steps to get on/off the deck)..... I like her more than most people, I have to deal with.....Sad times losing a good dog, definitely worse than an ex-wife dying.......

I am very sorry to read about your loss. My grandfather had two Brittany's when I was growing up. They were brothers from the same litter. Bingo and Bongo were their names. Great hunters but they were too high-strung to ever be pets in a house.

At the R&G club that I belong to in the western Poconos, the most popular dog with the bird hunting members I think is the Brittany followed by English Setters.

A good friend of mine has three Gordon Setters that we hunt with and they are great dogs.

When it was time to euthanize my ex-wife's Toy Poodle, I really struggled with this because that dog really became my dog since I paid so much attention to her. Her daily walks were what she lived for, and she kept score and reminded when I got home from a sale's trip that she missed some of her walks.

She would look at me and stretch and wag her tail. That was how she kept score and missed her walks.

I told Dr. Eiler that my dog was going to go out sleeping in my arms and not shaking with a stranger. At 17 it didn't take very long for her to fall asleep. Dr. Eiler said to me that men who say they don't like Poodles never owned one and that he owned three.

That was when I kind of lost it and turned into jello.

Some day I will get another dog and it will be one of the above pointing breeds. Right now I am more interested in upping my fly fishing.

The comfort is that dog would not have had a better life anywheres else.

Krayfish,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been around plenty of bad dogs to appreciate a good one. Sounds like he was a good one.

Back