That's not good...

...On a separate note, if anyone wants to get one of the best fly tying vises, buy a Law vise. A few come on the market from time to time. A saw earlier this morning there was one for sale on eBay. The guy had it listed for $14,000! But you could also make him an offer. 😃

Or buy an HMH TRV for a whole lot less... ;)

I sure hope Santa fixes your problem.
You can’t be vice-less during the holidays.
Vise or vice? I’ve plenty of vices.

I love my Peak.

Vise or vice? I’ve plenty of vices.
Obviously it's vise, but I've been refraining from correcting others and being that guy...

unless we're talking about vices here...... But my vise jaws are fine

I actually have many vices and thought that you were being punny.

Mega respect to Griffin. I put in a politely worded explanation and inquiry on parts on their website, and this came in the mail today, no charge. To folks above asking for an entry-level vise, take note on this customer service!

PXL 20240105 210405011

(For entry level vices, though, I still recommend binge drinking.)

Last edited:
Well that IS good!

I have a Peak vise and a Single Malt Scotch vice!!

that's good news. I'm on my second Griffin (over 30 years). Had a Superior 1A that i used for the first 27 years and bought a Montana Mongoose a few years ago. As I mentioned in the rotary thread, more vice than I will take advantage of but good to know I can't kill it either.

Just chalk it up to "stuff" happens.....

I bought a Regal vise that ejected hooks and the jaws cracked on it, yet 99% of tyers have had no problems with them over decades of tying. I would guess the temper of the metal for those particular jaws was flawed. It happens.

I've tied all types of flies on a Renzetti Traveler vise for close to three decades and it's still going strong, so I certainly can recommend that vise.
I’m not picking on Regal and I never owned one but…
I recently returned to fly fishing and tying. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos trying to get caught up with new materials. Since February or March, I have seen approximately 10 hooks pop out of vises on video. Every hook was in a Regal vise. Just something I noticed.

Reactions: Kms
Hooks popping out of vice jaws and jaws chipping is almost 100% attributable to people not putting a hook far enough into the vise jaws.

I recently returned to fly fishing and tying. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos trying to get caught up with new materials. Since February or March, I have seen approximately 10 hooks pop out of vises on video. Every hook was in a Regal vise. Just something I noticed.
In all fairness, I get the impression that Regal hands out free vises to many youtube channels, so the odds you are going to see that happen on a Regal on youtube are pretty high.

I own a Regal. The Regal shooting, breaking jaws of death is one of the biggest myths of fly tying. While I own a regal, I tie on a Griffin vise most times. I use the Regal as a traveling vise. I mention this just to show that I do not have weird vise fanaticisms that some people have. Every vise warns of shooting hooks and breaking jaws from improper hook placement.

Any vise is capable of spitting a hook. It’s what happens when a hook is placed in the jaws of a vise improperly. It happens because the vise jaw surfaces are flat and the hook surface is round, if not positioned properly, the flat jaws will pinch out the round hook surface. The reason it is frequently attributed to the Regal is because the Regal vise jaws are superior to most vises in strength and hook holding ability so naturally they also have more pinching pressure.

Back