That Same Thing

V

Van_Cleaver

Ok the header is from an old Willie Dixon tune, but wondering how many others find themselves sliding into a rut (fishing the same spots); especially when time is an issue. Personally I haven't been able to get more than a hour away from home (this year) and confined to mostly short day trips. Three times this season I have found excellent water teeming with trout almost directly adjacent to areas I have been fishing for over 20 years. Considering my age I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. After getting over what an idiot I had become; my resolve is firm to explore new areas even if only on familiar streams. By no means does this mean I won't jump at the chance to fish new waters as well. Tight lines!

Ruts in the rivers usually hold fish!!

True, but you might want to avoid sliding into them.

Well, I will be making some 1 day drives up to Salmon River, NY starting around the 2nd week of September. I will be trying to catch some of the same old salmon that run up the river. Not a bad rut at all.

I feel the same way sometimes, that going to find new places is a must.

once you have some good spots, though, finding new ones that are ho-hum can be a disappoitnment. Just needs a balanced approach to exploration vs tried and true.

I am coming a little bit full circle, and feeling the urge to go check out some of the spots i used to frequent but have since moved on from, mostly to see how i would approach them now that i have more experience.

Back