Tha Holy Grail

How about a bowfin on a fly?

That tiger is truly the ultimate- wow!

Is that one really a tiger trout?? I'm pretty sure i caught one of those in a local wild reproduction stream not too long ago. I wondered because the coloration just wasn't right for a brookie... I was under the impression that reproduction in the wild for tigers was VERY rare and happened under almost no circumstances.

psychobeagle12 wrote:
Is that one really a tiger trout?? I'm pretty sure i caught one of those in a local wild reproduction stream not too long ago. I wondered because the coloration just wasn't right for a brookie... I was under the impression that reproduction in the wild for tigers was VERY rare and happened under almost no circumstances.
Tiger Trout do NOT reproduce they are a cross between a male brook trout and a female brown trout and are sterile. Yes the trout in the photo is a tiger trout. The trout pictured in my avatar is a wild tiger that measured 11 inches. Yes they are very rare in the wild. I have caught two.

Yep, that was the impression that I had as well. I seem to remember reading that in the wild on a very rare chance a brook trout will attempt to fertilize brown trout eggs and that the success rate is less than 3% in these cases. Not sure if that statistic was for hatchery fish or for wild fish but I remember reading it lol.

Wild, Am I correct in assuming that wild Tigers are more aggressive than the three? I've caught two tigers downstream from where stocked by private club that completely smashed my fly and fought like a trout of much greator size. I was told the agreesiveness is preferred because it makes them easier to catch for the novice club members and families. Curious if that agressivnes translate to truely wild tigers as well.

There are a couple of dozen streams in PA with "truly" wild bows. Compare with thousands for brookies and browns.

A few of those are smallish streams in the OP's vicinity.

foxfire wrote:
Wild, Am I correct in assuming that wild Tigers are more aggressive than the three? I've caught two tigers downstream from where stocked by private club that completely smashed my fly and fought like a trout of much greator size. I was told the agreesiveness is preferred because it makes them easier to catch for the novice club members and families. Curious if that agressivnes translate to truely wild tigers as well.
The answer to both questions is yes and no. I have caught a number of stocked tigers. Years ago the PFBC stocked some along with the normal brooks and browns in a local FFO stream. I caught about a dozen of them that year and they were very aggressive. The two wild tigers I caught were no more aggressive than any other trout I have caught out of that particular stream. Both wild tigers came from the same stream. It is however a limestoner so that could account for their selectiveness. I do know this much, it was quite a thrill to catch a true wild one.

I even picked one up this past week. This one is also my second one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
Congrats Dan, nice looking tt. Congrats to you as well Al.

I have yet to catch a wild tiger. I'm in spots to do so quite often (for instance, I was with Delta Dog the day he got the above fish). I catch plenty of fish. It's just never happened for me.

Catching a wild tiger trout is luck, that's all it is.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Catching a wild tiger trout is luck, that's all it is.
Of course it is, but what a thrill to catch one. The odds are astronomical that's what makes it so special.

Trust me on this browns are only tough to catch on highly pressured streams.
My preference is for brookies.

Back