TFO Professional Series 9'6" 5wt.

3wt7X

3wt7X

I know there has been some discussion about TFO Fly Rod's on this forum lately, regardless, I am looking for a rod review on TFO's 9'6" 5wt Professional Series Rod. Has anyone thrown some line with it, or had any experience using it. I also was looking at the 10' 5wt model.

My goal is to find a rod long enough to provide an advantage in short line nymphing on waters such as Penns and the Little J, but one that still can throw some line, for dry fly fishing the Delaware. I think the extra 6-12inches would provide a great advantage on the Delaware for throwing a large reach mend, on down stream dry fly presentations, but I am unsure if the TFO Professional Series is built for that application. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am going to attempt to try these rods out before I put any money down.

3wt7X wrote:
I know there has been some discussion about TFO Fly Rod's on this forum lately, regardless, I am looking for a rod review on TFO's 9'6" 5wt Professional Series Rod. Has anyone thrown some line with it, or had any experience using it. I also was looking at the 10' 5wt model.

I own the Teeny Signature 10' 5wt. God himself may have pooped out this taper one sunny afternoon and handed it to some steelhead monkey, but it turns out it was meant for so much more! Its a beefy stick, ain't light and it takes big ole reel to balance 'im out, but it'll launch line like its going out of style all damned day.

I like it with a SA GPX 5WF. So much so that despite the fact I cannot afford expensive lines anymore, I'm forced by need to buy that line, doesn't like anything as much. With this rod, I could do nearly anything. If I were ever to go steelheading, this is my first choice rod. When I go river bassin', this was my first choice rod. When I felt the urge to straight line nymph, I could feel every tick of leaden fly on the rocks.

Its a killer rod, and an unspoken-of gem in the TFO line.

Back