Tenkara Fly Rod

Good for you man!
I like that attitude. Please let us know what you think of the rod .
I know nothing about tenkara which is why I asked for a detail explanation about how it's different from a cane pole, which I got and I appreciated it.
Enjoy!

Out4Trout wrote:
Thank you all for the information. I think I will add one to my weapons for next spring. To me fishing is fishing and I dont care if you use a twig and thread, a cane pole with a bobber, a spinning rod or a fly rod or any other method you guys can dream up. Fishing is fishing and sometimes I think we loose sight of the reason we do it in the 1st place.

I appreciate all the information and if you see me on the stream . . . laugh at me : )

So the overwhelmingly positive response to Tenkara convinced you to buy one.

;-)

Out4Trout, I guess we will have to laugh at each other. I think I fished with my Tenkara rods last summer more than I did my regular flyrods. I made up my own mind about fishing with tenkara rods. Do not let the negative remarks here influence your decision to try one. It's a blast! I have three Tenkara rods now and am thinking about adding a fourth. Give us an update on your progress. WTT

moon1284 wrote:

What is a "western setup". West of what? Fly fishing was invented in the western hemisphere

Um, no. Besides the fact that "western hemisphere" means the Americas (what was Julianna Berners going about then before the western hemisphere was discovered by Europeans?) fly fishing was independently invented almost everywhere there are trout (including by Native Americans, so in that sense it was invented in the Western Hemisphere.) It's been going on in Asia as long it's been going on in the west. (Bead heads were being used in Japan three centuries before they were being used here, btw.)

I'm sorry. My reel privilege clouded my sense of fly fishing history.

moon1284 wrote:
I'm sorry. My reel privilege clouded my sense of fly fishing history.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!

I still believe it’s for people who can’t cast or have poor line control because if you could do these you would never bother with tenkara

Fredrick wrote:
I still believe it’s for people who can’t cast or have poor line control because if you could do these you would never bother with tenkara

I can do both quite well, thank you, but still enjoy tenkara on occasion. It's enjoyable in and of itself, it's closer to what fly fishing was all about for most of its 2,000 year history and allows me to fish in mi-winter without freezing guides.

I find it ironic that those who are bashing it in this thread are using pretty much the same words that were used to bash "winches" (reels) back in the 1600's and 1700's as useless gimmicks and a crutch for those who weren't very good anglers.

We fly fish not because it's always the most efficient way to catch fish, but because it's challenging to set limits on the equipment we use.

Again, not my favorite way to fish most of the time, but I hate to see it bashed by those with no experience with it. If you feel that having a reel on the end of your rod when high-stick nymphing makes you more confident, by all means, go ahead and use one. I hear spinning reels are even more of an improvement.

I fish Tenkara on small streams most of the time in Central PA. I have a Tenkara USA Yamame road which is good for almost all types of fishing, but this past year I purchased a Kyotake rod that is only 6 1/2 feet long, THIS road has been a blast to fish with. It is small enough fit in anytype of daypack or over the shoulder bag, when you need something short, just pull it out and have fun. They can be found on EBAY or from Tenkarabum.com Tenkara is not the one rod for everything just like 1 fly rod can't handle all circumstances. But for me, it works when needed. Just another arrow in the Fly Fishermans quiver, and a small one at that! Happy New Year!

I think it is still fly fishing, if you use a fly.

No.

Just because you use a fly, does not mean it's fly fishing.
IMO Tenkara is.

Is streamer chucking and junk fly tossing "fly fishing." The world awaits your comparison.

I'm sorry that those who used reels in the far East in the 1600s were oppressed.

No Jack.
You are the one who made the assertion that it is, the definition of fly fishing is clearly defined, you are free to "Google is your friend it".
The world awaits your new definition.

OK. Fly fishing is using a fly on a rod that casts line, rather than terminal tackle. Your turn to define things for yourself and all followers.

We all should pay little mind to the tackle anyone uses for fishing, as long as it's legal and sporting. Have fun out there!

I agree afish.
Still according to Jack's definition, an ugly stick/Shakespeare bait caster with a split shot and glow bug would be fly fishing.
That's absurd nor is it legal in FFO waters.

Back