Tenkara Fly Fishing

I'm genuinely curious about the crappie pole idea, actually.

I'd like to be the first tenkara bamboo purist. One of the bait shops I frequented as a kid had 12 foot bamboo switches.

If I like the style of fishing, I'd consider dropping 150 beans on one to hike with.

I haven't tried it out (should've made you let me take it for a spin at the minijam, HA), but I've seen HA's tenkara rod and its a pretty fascinating thing.. It more or less tapers down to something that's barely bigger the furled leader it touches, its amazingly light.

I'd love to give it a whirl, although I'm not sure I have a need yet. I can easily see this being something I'd embrace, though.

jayL wrote:
I'm genuinely curious about the crappie pole idea, actually.

So was I. While the newer graphite crappie poles are lighter than old style ones, they're waaayyy too heavy compared to a Tenkara rod, and they're a bear to cast. Think casting a 2wt line with a 12wt rod. They're also not very durable.

As for being the first bamboo Tenkara "purist", well, you're too late - that's been done a long time ago. The ability to make a really light, effective, and durable telescopic graphite rod is fairly new technology. The TenkaraUSA rods are really well made, and guaranteed for life.

You're welcome to try my 11' Tenkara rod, but be forewarned - you'll want one! It takes bow and arrow casting to a whole new level. :-o

I'll give it a shot next time we fish. Thanks Ed.

If you want to go the crappie pole route (and I'll echo previous comments that it is a poor substitute) make sure you get a graphite one. The fiberglass ones are hopeless at casting a light line. I've experimented with both.

Also, with regard to legality on FFO waters, I'm sure the ruling wasn't brand specific (there are other brands of tenkara rod starting to show up), but if you wanted to fish a jig with something that is clearly labeled "crappie pole" it would probably be safer to use a jig that is clearly a flyfishing jig - like 1/80 ounce rather than something like 1/16 or 1/32 ounce. Also I would use a line that is capable of casting an unweighted fly. I suspect that to be considered fly fishing you may have to show that it is the weight of the line that you are casting, not the weight of the jig.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

You just pay less for a crappie pole because it isn't a Japanese fad ... yet.

There is no way you can get any decent action from a telescoping fly rod or it would have been done long ago.

That's B.S. These aren't even close to crappie poles. Tenkara rods have a terrific action - very delicate, yet surprisingly powerful. And yes, I've tried the new "modern" crappie poles, and I've caught thousands of crappie in my day. This debate has appeared on every forum I've seen Tenkara discussed. Those who think it is a fad, or object to paying around $150 for a Tenkara rod find every excuse possible to downplay the effectiveness and fun of Tenkara fishing. It's funny how every one of those arguments comes from someone who hasn't tried a Tenkara rod. The old saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it" applies very well here.

I didn't say it was fun or effective.

Heck, I used to cast flies with a spinning rod at my uncles pond and it was a lot of fun and quite effective. It is how I got started.

I'm not really downplaying it so much. More like not up-playing it. It's fishing (except for one or two wise cracks). Fishing is fun and I don't look down at crappie fishing.

I agree it should be allowed at FFOs. But I also agree that a crappie rod should be allowed as well. Except for the jig thing. What were you thinking, Jay.;-)

If someone is using a crappie pole, with a leader and flies, why not?

Oh yea.

If they only cost around $150, that isn't a bad buy considering it has to be more expensive to construct than some of the fly poles that sell for much more.

And I did say it would make a good backup. Might even be good for the hard to reach areas on the small streams.

But there is no way any of you can convince me that you can get as good of an actin from a telescoping fly rod as you can from a 2 or 3 piece. It defies physics. How many sections foes it have?

But can you catch fish with it? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I could. :p

I don't know Farmer, Heritage Ed tells me that they're the cat's "behind"!......and he's an expert in that field. ;-)

There may be a rod or two to wiggle at the Jam. I look forward to seeing one.

Having just completed "litterbox duty", I've had enough of THAT subject for the day.

FWIW - The action of these rods is what I would describe as very limber. They flex differently, depending on what rod you have. TenkaraUSA describes how they rate the flex on their website. Basically, they're rated by how many sections flex easily, and how many are stiffer.

Most rods have 10 sections, but the shortest has 9 sections. They flex and load with just the weight of the leader. Casting is just like with a typical fly rod, but more gentle. You're only casting a line that is 1 to 1.5 times the length of the rod, and they cast this length with ease. They bow and arrow cast like nothing you've seen before. You can also collapse a section (or several) into the handle for really tight spots.

There are some really good videos on the TenkaraUSA website that cover pretty much all you'd want to know. Overall, it's not very expensive to get into, and the system offers some unique advantages over traditional "Western" fly rods. They're not for every situation, but where they work, they do so very well.

I wander if the "Feathered Hook" in Caburn carry some Tenkara?

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Overall, it's not very expensive to get into

I definitely like that part. ;-)

and the system offers some unique advantages over traditional "Western" fly rods. They're not for every situation, but where they work, they do so very well.

What exactly do you mean by traditional "westen" fly rods. Do you mean the super fast stuff? I'm not into that, either. And before someone gets offended at that... Ah heck, never mind. I don't care is someone gets offended at that, but it was not my intent.

I'm just more into the older stuff. Love the old cane rods, but do have a few graphite rods as well.

I'm not a fan of Power Rangers, or sushi, either. :p

FarmerDave wrote:
What exactly do you mean by traditional "westen" fly rods. Do you mean the super fast stuff? I'm not into that, either.

Pretty sure Western as in "not Asian." So, all of traditional fly fishing as we know it, and not the tenkara method.

I'd love to try it out, but I'd love to try it out without spending the $150 to buy a rod. I've wanted to give it a go for awhile now, and will probably someday give it a shot. Maybe next time I'm at a store that carries a big selection of crappie rods, I'll buy one and give it a go just to see if I can find a reason to drop the cash on the real thing.

For my quick lunchbreaks to the park, or times when the kids are taking a walk, it seems like it might be fun to try out assuming setup and tear down are quick and breezy.

Double post.

My setup and takedown for me is pretty easy as it is. I usually have two fods already setup and ready to go in my case. All I gotta do is thread the guides and tie on a fly. Sometimes I don't even have to do that. For me setup isn't much of a selling point. But here are a couple other selling points that did catch my attention and i mentioned them before.

A backup rod that I can carry along when I'm going to be far away from th car.

Can be used to "reach" places that normally cannot be easily cast to. You know. Use it like a long cane pole. Some of you will find that insulting comparing it to a cane pole, but it is what it is and to me it can come in handy. Or have none of you ever dappled a fly or high sticked a nymph?

The best way to get a 'feel" for what Tenkara is all about is to watch ALL of the videos on the TenkaraUSA website. They're pretty short, and cover everything from setup/takedown, to casting techniques, to fishing smaller and larger waters.

This method of fishing isn't anything new or earth shattering, but it is simple and enjoyable. By Western style gear, I meant a rod with guides, reel, fly line, and leader. With Tenkara, you have rod, leader, and fly. Less equipment to deal with, so you spend less time tinkering with gear, and more time concentrating on your surroundings. You can't cast 40' - more like 20-30'. The rods feel a lot like a very soft bamboo rod in action. They're also extremely sensitive, especially when nymphing with a level line. A 6" fish feels like a whale on the end of the line.

Maybe that's what I find so appealing about Tenkara. The stealthy approach needed to get within casting distance, the delicate presentation, keeping the whole line off the water except for the fly and maybe a bit of tippet (no drag!) - and when you do get a fish on, it's a battle! Small fish are generally easier to find and catch than larger ones, so this technique makes EVERY water you fish trophy class water. Waters often ignored by others become your personal honey holes. The same kind of enjoyment you get from battling a fish on a bamboo rod is magnified even further on a Tenkara rod. Even chubs become fun!

Dapping is something that can be easily done with a Tenkara rod, but it's not the only way to present a fly with them. Many of the casts you do with a "normal" fly rod can be done with a Tenkara rod. By using a longer leader (like a level line 1.5 times the length of the rod), you can cast out further for larger waters. Of course this complicates landing a fish - you wind up hand lining the fish in for the last few feet.

The hardest part about Tenkara fishing is figuring out what to do with your non-casting hand. Takes some getting used to.

There ya go. another good selling point. Perfect for the one armed angler. I used to know a one armed guy who was quite the golfer. I'm betting he would love this.

Now if we could only perfect the one armed pool cue. ;-)

I could have used it when I had tendonites, though. It was so bad i had to switch back to a graphite rod for a couple months for steelhead.

No offense HA, but I have no interest on viewing angling how to videos or learning any new gear right now. If I get an opportunity to try one some day, great. If not, I won't lose any sleep. I can definitely see a few advantages and disavantages. Something different. No better, no worse from what I have seen.

I haven't tried centerpin for steelhead either and haven't lost any sleep over it. But have had numerous people try to sell me on it. I just tease them back. Definitely effective though. right now my favorite steelhead rod is a 9 foot 7 weight bamboo.

P.S. Don't feel bad. Joe E hasn't been able to talk me into trying a bamboo quad, either, but if he gave me one, I'd certainly use it, [size=xx-small]hint hint[/size]. (joking)

P.S. I don't have a crappie rod, either. :p

No problem, Dave. Just trying to provide information for anyone that has an interest in Tenkara. It isn't for everyone, and I'm certainly not gonna ditch my other fly rods.

Like gzacckey posted earlier - it's another way to enjoy fly fishing. I get no compensation from TenkaraUSA, but I do like their products and good service. They also support PAFF by advertising here.

FWIW, there is already an outfit that is using Tenkara to help the physically challenged enjoy fly fishing - it's called the Adaptive Fly Fishing Institute. It's run by Ken Morrow down in Texas.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
The hardest part about Tenkara fishing is figuring out what to do with your non-casting hand. Takes some getting used to.

Now you have no reason not to use a wading staff. It's kept me upright and dry more than once.

H-A, I was doing more thinking about Tenkara last night. My pond in the woods is very difficult to fish with a fly rod. So much so that I don't even try, and I use spinning gear. I was even considering cutting some more trees to make some room. But with this Tenkara, I could "fly fish" it withut cutting back the trees.

Of course i wouldn't "need" telescoping, but because of the other uses it is sounding more interesting.

Back