Tenkara Fly Fishing

Had my Tenkara Rod out tonight, caught a couple of Bluegill What a blast. Had a couple of trout follow but no takes. I am amazed at how well it maneuvers, even at 12 feet long! Looking forward to my next trip out, maybe with a bit more time I can work on the trout a bit.

I've been using my Tenkara for a few months now. So far it's been great. There are some new videos on the Tenkara USA site that will help with casting technique, but even without them you'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

I've taken it out on the Manatawny this fall and had a blast. Caught a 1/2 dozen trout and one smally the first day. The Manny may be a little big for this rod. I had to stealthfully wade into position for each fish. The line lands almost imperceptibly, but it still scares fish in the low water if you line them. I did it a couple of times just to see what I could get away with. So, don't think you can be sloppy.

Bow/sling casting is awesome with this rod. It puts it just where you want it. Overhead, sidearm, underhand, all work well. Pushing the rod forward after the power stroke really softens the landing and extends the distance. No problem with heavily weigthed bugger and such.

The fish I've landed so far all range from 11 to 14 inches on 6 and 7x tippet. I thought the 14" would break the 7x but he didn't. I just swung him in letting the rod absorb the jumps and surges. There's no line out so landing the fish is very fast. I don't normally use a net, but with Tenkara I bring out my rubber net. It's just faster when you're using a long rod. Otherwise, I'd have to grab the leader and just one last minute jump and I'm sure the tippet would snap. So, far I've landed about 15 trout with no breakoffs. I really want to try in on smaller streams like the middle/upper section of Hay and some smaller area tribs.

You can choke up on the rod or collapse a section when you need something shorter to work with. You'll also like collapsing it when you need to climb up a bank or go through thick brush or just tucking it in your waders for the walk back to your car.

Ah, yet another way to enjoy fly fishing:)

I might try it on one of my AT weekend hikes...Be nice to get in to some brookies with that rig..Maybe fry up a couple rainbows for protien boost..

surfin`some around for tenkara tackle i found this;

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edelweiss-fishing.ch%2F300%2C0%2Ctenkara-ruten-und-zubehoer%2Cindex%2C0.html

greets
peter

The TenkaraUSA forum keeps growing with new members from all over the globe. Check it out at www.tenkarausa.com .

I have been chomping at the bit to get out also. I had a problem with a frozen shoulder in October and it seems that it finally might be healed enough for a day of casting.

Snow has not helped out much either!

SO I have been tying some Tenkara style flies.

Looking forward to opening days!

I purchased an Iwana about three weeks ago after coming across the Tenkara USA website via Facebook. I was growing a little weary of fly fishing - with family it's hard to get away, so I've been hitting the same streams, and I'm tired of all the technical jargon and tactics, which are nothing more than a variation on a theme - so, I purchased the Tenkara rod.

I have to admit, I was impressed, and enjoyed my first experience with it on the Donegal Creek. I landed five trout, and had no problem casting, detecting strikes, or bringing the fish to hand. In fact, every fish that struck came to hand, there were no misses. This is because of the style of fishing that tenkara affords, and the sensitivity of the rod.

For small streams, this is a very enjoyable way to fish. I also like the simplicity. It is the traditional archery of fly fishing. I am now going to see how simple and light I can go and still consistently catch trout.

Very interesting subject. I ran into a guy fishing this Tenkara style last year. He was doing pretty well on Lyman last year. I'm sold. I'm about to order my Tenkara gear in a few minutes.

Festus,

I don't think you will be disappointed. It's not for everybody, nor for every situation, but for small streams and simplicity, you can't beat it.

To tell the truth, I'm 300% bored with fishing these days and need to put some incentive back into the game. This Tenkara thing is it.:)

Festus - You're gonna LOVE Tenkara! It's a blast. First time you get a fish on, and you reach for the line/reel, and it ain't there...you'll be laughing. Tenkara has some serious advantages for small stream fishing, and a lot of those advantages translate to bigger water too.

Which rod did you pick?

H.A.

I couldn't order today as I wanted to, as Ms Kitty is downstate and has my credit card. Didn't know she had it.:-o

But tomorrow I'll have the YAMAME on its way.:) I'm hoping to try it out next week if this colder weather moves out.

I have a Yamame and an Ebisu and like them both. The Yamame will help you wrestle some of the larger trout that you might run in to on a small stream. Both of them have a unique feel when a strike is detected.

Very easy to cast.

Mike

I'm not overly interested in tenkara, but I am curious about the legality on FFO waters.

As far as I can tell, if tenkara is legal on FFO, then a crappie pole with a jig should be as well.

Then again, I guess it's primarily for small streams, right?

Anyone have any insight?

Different folks have had this question. Daniel, the owner of TenkaraUSA has corresponded with the PAFBC and has been assured that Tenkara is legal in FFO waters in PA.

Here's a link to the TenkaraUSA forum where it was discussed if anyone's interested: Tenkara Legal in PA FFO Water

Interesting.

Thanks.

So by that reasoning, a crappie pole with a fly or light jig would be legal, provided that I outfitted it with a tapered leader of some sort. I would take issue with the PAFBC regulating based on a brand name.

I believe there might be a limitation on the length of the leader and tippet max at 18 feet. Could be an issue with a crappie pole.

The Tenkara rod just gives you a lot more flexibility in casting and hooking than a heavier crappie pole would.

Go look at the website and watch the videos - they are all free. You might be surprised! www.tenkarausa.com

I have been looking at Tenkara during the last year. Having three kids, sometimes I find there's times where I have the kids out at a stream or park or during vacation where I didn't fish because of the burden of lugging all the gear around.

Another thing is some days when I actually get out alone, I struggle over the decision to either take "the camera" which is basically an entire backpack full of photo gear, or "the rod". Taking both would not be enjoyable.

I could really see myself enjoying a Tenkara rod in places like Stony Creek, or certain small streams that I will not name, where a particularly long walk or hike is required. I could still bring my camera and just stash a fly box in my camera bag or shirt pocket. The cool thing is the rod collapses very short and you don't have to worry about connecting pieces, aligning line guides, losing peices, or the bulky reel, or the bulky rod/reel case.

I thought the Iwana either 11' or 12' would be great since it is their lightest model for smaller trout. I would only be using it on small water anyway. Getting used to the length might be a small challenge but I would thing with a rod that long bow and arrow casting would be a blast and the length of the rod would give you great reach with the bow cast in tight spots.

A tenkara outfit would definitely be the ticket for saving space and weight. I plan on using it as my backpacking rod. To that end, I will be trying it out in May in the Shenandoah Nat. Park, and in June on the Allegheny Front Trail.

gentleshepherd wrote:
I believe there might be a limitation on the length of the leader and tippet max at 18 feet. Could be an issue with a crappie pole.

The Tenkara rod just gives you a lot more flexibility in casting and hooking than a heavier crappie pole would.

Go look at the website and watch the videos - they are all free. You might be surprised! www.tenkarausa.com

I doubt I would be surprised. Sounds like a combination of fishing, and that weird olympic gymnastic event that involves a sticl with a ribbon, only longer.

I don't get it. I can put any size leader on a crappie pole, too.

It's the same thing. Modern crappie poles are light. Have you ever tried one? For that matter, have you ever caught a crappie? They don't call them paper mouths for nothing. They require a light flexable rod.

You just pay less for a crappie pole because it isn't a Japanese fad ... yet.

There is no way you can get any decent action from a telescoping fly rod or it would have been done long ago. Look at travel rods. They have been around for a very long time. I even have one made out of split cane that is at least 60 years old (Educated guess). The more sections you have, the poorer the action. How many sections are onthe average tenkara. Oh by the way. I think that cane travel rod is japanese also (another educated guess).

I have nothing against travel rods. Like I said, I even have one that I plan to restore some day. They have a niche and you can cast them. But then, I could put guides on a 2X2 and cast it. I guess I would put this tenkara in the category of a travel rod, only with even more limitations. Nice backup that you can even carry with you. But as a main weapon?

FarmerDave wrote:

You just pay less for a crappie pole because it isn't a Japanese fad ... yet.

There is no way you can get any decent action from a telescoping fly rod or it would have been done long ago.

That's B.S. These aren't even close to crappie poles. Tenkara rods have a terrific action - very delicate, yet surprisingly powerful. And yes, I've tried the new "modern" crappie poles, and I've caught thousands of crappie in my day. This debate has appeared on every forum I've seen Tenkara discussed. Those who think it is a fad, or object to paying around $150 for a Tenkara rod find every excuse possible to downplay the effectiveness and fun of Tenkara fishing. It's funny how every one of those arguments comes from someone who hasn't tried a Tenkara rod. The old saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it" applies very well here.

Back